“Winter wonderland with free wine & cookies!” 5 of 5 stars

Cottage Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   P.O. Box 66, Tahoe City, CA 96145   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Tahoe City B&B and Inns
Spokane, Washington
“Winter wonderland with free wine & cookies!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Charmed, I'm sure! My husband and I needed a weekend getaway and we knew a gal who was singing at Jake's on the Lake (Neva, a super talented artist from SoCal) so we decided on Tahoe City. We like to stay on the cheap side and this was about as cheap as we could get last-minute without staying in a total dump. I was tickled to find this quaint but sprawling cottage complex with Christmas lights twinkling in the dark when we arrived. The hosts were gracious and upbeat. Our room, the cheapest of all the rooms at $130/ni was just perfect for the two of us. We stayed in the Twig Room, a toasty little studio atop the Bear's Den. It had a stone propane fireplace, as do all the rooms, and a great little nook for cozying up with a good book. The room was just what I was hoping for. Then there was even a complimentary happy hour with cookies, apps and mulled wine. Breakfast was just as tasty — bread pudding, quiche and hash browns. I'll definitely be staying up there again when I need to get away!

Room Tip: I didn't visit any of the other rooms, but they all seem to have great privacy!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My partner and I stayed for 2 nights between Christmas and New Year as we were xcountry skiing up at the Nordic center in Tahoe City. We stayed in 'Cozy Corner' and were delighted with our stay. Our room was clean, perfectly sized, and very private as there was nobody to overlook the room. The lake is across a quiet lane, and the jetty and surrounding bay was picture-perfect in the dense snow. Breakfasts were all home-made and a good size (we had homemade granola with yoghurt and stuffed french toast the first day, then a slice of cake and a scrambled egg stack with a breakfast crescent and honey butter the next - i requested veggie, and they happily added veggies instead of meat).

After a hard day's skiing we came back for the sunset and a spectacular moon rise over the lake, and then helped ourselves to a glass of wine, bowl of homemade sweet potato soup, homemade coconut macaroons, and cheese and biscuits, eaten by the fire in the lodge. The macaroons were the best I've eaten.

Everyone was very friendly and helpful (they posted back a few shirts that I'd forgotten to pack). I would thoroughly recommend the Cottage Inn and we would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Cozy corner is not overlooked at the end of the walk way.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have never been to Lake Tahoe and since it was our first time celebrating Xmas as husband and wife, we wanted to make it real special. We wanted to have a white Xmas and we definitely got it! The cottage was very cozy, romantic and very private. We stayed at The Enchanted Room and Cottage Time. They were both nice, beds were comfortable. Breakfast was included. The food was average, very plain. Nothing special. Except for the breakfast cake - so yummy! The staff was friendly, helpful and very efficient. It was a memorable Xmas for sure. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012
Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

The Cottage Inn experience was truly a breath of fresh air! In today's day and age of resort fees, exuberant prices, and over rated hotels, this one has the total package. The staff was super friendly and extremely helpful. The breakfast in the morning was awesome as well. The cabins are top notch! If you want a true vacation destination, look no further! We can't wait to come back!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Shaker Heights, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I returned home last week from a destination wedding in Lake Tahoe, Ca. We found Cottage Inn among the options the bride and groom listed on their wedding website. At first glance I thought the cabins at Cottage Inn were a bit over-the-top with decorative bears climbing on them but as I looked closer at the website and examined the rooms and compared this place to other options I knew this was the place for us. We stayed in Sierra Siesta which was as big as a small rental cabin! We had a huge bathroom with modern shower and a large counter top to spread out all our stuff. Usually I am searching for a shelf but this one was perfect! The king bed was comfortable, there was a small fridge for our leftovers from meals out, snacks and water bottles. The windows are beautiful crank ones that open to fresh air. We had been in a Sheraton the week before hermatically sealed and dependent on air conditioning so this was a 180 for us. I loved being able to feel the fresh air and smell the wonderful pine scent. In addition to our great room, we loved the breakfasts served in the Lodge. Every morning was different and each one yummy. Our favorite was the stuffed French toast, however. Coffee is ready for early risers at 7:30am and there is seating in the lodge as well as outside on the deck. The weather when we were there was spectacular so even though it was cool in the mornings, we did have some breakfasts outdoors. What a treat. The staff was terrific and helpful. We recommend this place to all who are going to Tahoe City.

Room Tip: At first we were booked into a small room which when we got there and I looked in the windows I was...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We only had one night at the Cottage Inn and wished we stayed another. The property is just lovely--beautiful vintage-look, cozy cottages with most modern amenities. Everything is well kept. The quiet beach a short walk away is a nice spot to relax and look at lovely Lake Tahoe. The hearty breakfast was delicious. A couple surprises on our visit, positive and negative. The staff serves wine and cheese for guests each afternoon, and were very friendly and helpful in choosing local dinner spots. However, the office closes at 9pm and no staff is on the property after that. Also, there are no phones in the room so make sure you are comfortable with that situation. No AC either, but we were there in late August and certainly didn't need it. Would love to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the center lawn might be best, as the "lake view" rooms actually look at the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I choose this bed & breakfast after driving around the west part of the lake from South Lake Tahoe to the very Northern part. We were deciding what area to stay in, there were plenty of hotels in South Lake and also cute places in Tahoe City but after spotting the Cottage Inn, we knew where we wanted to spend our 4 days vacation!

The Cottage Inn is in a perfect location, although right off the road you still feel tucked in the cozy forest. They have a private lakeside area with a rocky beach, which makes for some amazing views! Also within walking distance there is a little convenient store with a deli and the main necessities. There are also some yummy restaurants nearby (I recommend eating at Spoon). In the evenings you can lay in the hammock or play a game of giant checkers outside!

The room was the perfect size with a comfortable bed. We felt safe and cozy. The included breakfast is definitely one of the main highlights of the experience. You literally feel like you are visiting a friend for breakfast at their house. The meals are freshly made and are simply delicious! You just head to the main cottage, take a seat and the juice and meal come almost immediately upon arrival! The staff was also friendly and helpful.

I would definitely stay here again and suggest it to my friends and family also!

Room Tip: Definitely look at the website before you choose your room, they are all themed differently and some...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Pepper Tree Inn
Pepper Tree Inn
#3 of 7 in Tahoe City
3.5 of 5 stars 143 reviews

Been to Cottage Inn? Share your experiences!