“Delightful remodel with excellent on site restaurant and bar.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Sutter
53 Main St., Sutter Creek, CA 95685 (Formerly The American Exchange Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sutter Creek
Cameron Park, California
“Delightful remodel with excellent on site restaurant and bar.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We started a four day weekend in the Gold Country and the Sonoma Coast with a Friday night stay at the Hotel Sutter. The owners of this property have done an absolutely great remodel of what used to be a pretty tired hotel and restaurant! The rooms are cozy but comfortably sized and very nicely decorated in kind of a fusion of Craftsman and Moderno styles...and they are very clean with comfortable bed and very modern, up to date plumbing decor and fixtures in bathroom. The restaurant and adjacent bar(s) on site are also thoroughly modern and more than pleasant. Pre-dinner drinks were excellent and reasonably priced and our dinners were very creative and artfully presented. Lodging and restaurant/bar prices are reasonable. Only negative was restaurant was short-staffed for a Friday night starting a four day weekend...we gave our waiter an extra large tip because he worked so hard just to try to keep up...and we couldn't figure out how to work air conditioner in our room. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are quite good. Our room was on south side of hotel next to a one lane one way la...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Winters, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We checked in after 8pm and the hotel staff worked diligently to accommodate us. They took our bags to the room and welcomed us to the beautiful town of Sutter Creek. The room was very clean, nice decorations and the bed was perfect. The double pane windows reduced outside noise and A/C worked correctly. Everyone at the hotel flashed us a smile when we saw them and they made sure our needs were met. My compliments to the Hotel Sutter!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, General Manager at Hotel Sutter, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for the nice review! We were so happy to welcome you, and look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Regards,
The team at Hotel Sutter
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2015

I stayed for one night at the Hotel Sutter with my girlfriend. Check in was quick and easy. The rooms are a decent size and have what you need in them. I found the rooms to be cozy and comfortable. The hotel is right in the middle of downtown so you can walk to anything. The staff at the bar are great the drink prices are very cheap. What I thought would be a $100+ bill for about ten drinks between the two of us ended up being $75. The restaurant is amazing and has great food. It is a very laid back atmosphere and you feel like you are right at home. Parking can be the hardest part of the trip. We parked about two blocks away behind the hotel because there was no parking in the very small parking lot the hotel has. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, Manager at Hotel Sutter, responded to this review, January 14, 2015
Wow, thank you for your kind words! We were so happy to have you join us for the evening. As for the parking situation - we understand your frustration and we're looking for solutions so our guests can have an easier time getting from their cars to the comfort of their hotel room. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Minden, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

We stayed in this hotel when it was this American Hotel and at that time the rooms were lacking the restroom! Now it has been renovated and the restrooms/showers are in the rooms. But it is a great place to stay. The rooms are very comfortable albeit a bit small but that is how it was a hundred years or so back. Very comfortable and clean and of course very quiet. Last time in town we ate at the restaurant down stairs and had a good dinner. This time we were able to eat on the balcony which was very comfortable with heaters and great food. When we thought it was too late in the night for anything fun we found out about the Cellar. It was cocktails and dancing late into the night and it is just outside the front door and to the left down stairs but in the same building (The Cellar).
This is a great place to stay in a fun but although quiet town!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

Everything seemed promising for the hotel. Location was perfect. You are right in the heart of the beautiful town, next to great little shops and the creek itself. Parking is lacking. They have a small lot in the back. If the hotel is full, you will probably not get a spot. However, there is plenty of street parking close by.

I had reserved a room with a day bed. I checked in OK. Staff friendly. Upon opening my door to the room, it is very apparent that I do not have a day bed in there. Normally, this would not bother me as much as it did this time. However, the hotel was fully booked and I paid extra for the room with a day bed. I immediately go downstairs to the reception desk and communicate my problem. I can tell they screwed up and had to think about what to do. They said they would have a small cot brought up. I was OK with that but was still a little irritated. I stayed downstairs and had lunch so that the staff could have the cot brought up and bed made.

So, I get back to my room and see they have the cot there. Looks OK but it was stuffed between the king bed and window. It really did not leave much room to move around. Anyway, as I start to unpack, I opened a drawer and immediately saw someone else's belongings./trash. NOT GOOD. I started checking the rest of the drawers and found another drawer with old greeting cards and well wished to other guests. Completely unacceptable.

In an effort to keep things short, I will summarize the rest of my experience.

1. Elevator inspections/permits expired
2. Continental breakfast offered and advertised but nothing was ever set out for guests
3. Service staff in restaurant slow but friendly

In the end, I was quite disappointed. For the money you spend for a room, you are better off staying somewhere else. You will get better value than this hotel.

Big plus is the Cellar. The staff is great and the ambiance good.

Be warned, bring some food with you if you plan to pend the night in Sutter Creek. Everything closes early and you will not find anything to eat after 2100. Everything shuts down and you will be hungry and disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the main strip. You get to stare at the old town and enjoy nature and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2014

My family recently had the pleasure of visiting Sutter Creek, and visited Hotel Sutter for a very special wedding. The decor and ambiance were stunningly perfect for our event. Not only was the food divine, the events we had planned at Hotel Sutter were seamlessly attended by the staff and we felt like royalty! We enjoyed a yoga class (so peaceful), a breakfast (hot and delicious), and appetizers (beautiful presentation).
In addition to the wedding events, we had a large group that was in and out of the lobby frequently and the staff was warm and helpful each time. I can't imagine a better venue! The rooms were gorgeous and tastefully appointed. Thank you, Hotel Sutter, for making our weekend wedding visit to your area the highlight of our year!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014

I could go on and on about how much I love Hotel Sutter. It is such a beautiful and comfortable setting. The renovations over the last year are astounding. They've brought such a refinement to the building while maintaining the sense of history surrounding the area. Everything from the new lobby bar to the new rooms are classy without being pretentious. I'm instantly comfortable there.

The staff aren't only professional and courteous, but warm, delightful and ever so helpful. Even when making last minute requests, they were more than happy to oblige and made it seem effortless. They've got a great bar staff and the bloody marys are to die for! Darius and the kitchen staff prepared delicious food all weekend long. From the mussels to the short ribs, I could have indulged in a food coma the entire time we were there.

Not only will Hotel Sutter remain a substantial part of our wedding memories, it will forever be our weekend-getaway spot! My thanks go out to all the staff and I look forward to seeing them soon!

Room Tip: Room 300 overlooks main st. loved it.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sutter? Share your experiences!