“Great place in gold country” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Sutter
53 Main St., Sutter Creek, CA 95685 (Formerly The American Exchange Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sutter Creek
Minden, Nevada
“Great place in gold country”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We stayed in this hotel when it was this American Hotel and at that time the rooms were lacking the restroom! Now it has been renovated and the restrooms/showers are in the rooms. But it is a great place to stay. The rooms are very comfortable albeit a bit small but that is how it was a hundred years or so back. Very comfortable and clean and of course very quiet. Last time in town we ate at the restaurant down stairs and had a good dinner. This time we were able to eat on the balcony which was very comfortable with heaters and great food. When we thought it was too late in the night for anything fun we found out about the Cellar. It was cocktails and dancing late into the night and it is just outside the front door and to the left down stairs but in the same building (The Cellar).
This is a great place to stay in a fun but although quiet town!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Francisco, California, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

Everything seemed promising for the hotel. Location was perfect. You are right in the heart of the beautiful town, next to great little shops and the creek itself. Parking is lacking. They have a small lot in the back. If the hotel is full, you will probably not get a spot. However, there is plenty of street parking close by.

I had reserved a room with a day bed. I checked in OK. Staff friendly. Upon opening my door to the room, it is very apparent that I do not have a day bed in there. Normally, this would not bother me as much as it did this time. However, the hotel was fully booked and I paid extra for the room with a day bed. I immediately go downstairs to the reception desk and communicate my problem. I can tell they screwed up and had to think about what to do. They said they would have a small cot brought up. I was OK with that but was still a little irritated. I stayed downstairs and had lunch so that the staff could have the cot brought up and bed made.

So, I get back to my room and see they have the cot there. Looks OK but it was stuffed between the king bed and window. It really did not leave much room to move around. Anyway, as I start to unpack, I opened a drawer and immediately saw someone else's belongings./trash. NOT GOOD. I started checking the rest of the drawers and found another drawer with old greeting cards and well wished to other guests. Completely unacceptable.

In an effort to keep things short, I will summarize the rest of my experience.

1. Elevator inspections/permits expired
2. Continental breakfast offered and advertised but nothing was ever set out for guests
3. Service staff in restaurant slow but friendly

In the end, I was quite disappointed. For the money you spend for a room, you are better off staying somewhere else. You will get better value than this hotel.

Big plus is the Cellar. The staff is great and the ambiance good.

Be warned, bring some food with you if you plan to pend the night in Sutter Creek. Everything closes early and you will not find anything to eat after 2100. Everything shuts down and you will be hungry and disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the main strip. You get to stare at the old town and enjoy nature and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2014

My family recently had the pleasure of visiting Sutter Creek, and visited Hotel Sutter for a very special wedding. The decor and ambiance were stunningly perfect for our event. Not only was the food divine, the events we had planned at Hotel Sutter were seamlessly attended by the staff and we felt like royalty! We enjoyed a yoga class (so peaceful), a breakfast (hot and delicious), and appetizers (beautiful presentation).
In addition to the wedding events, we had a large group that was in and out of the lobby frequently and the staff was warm and helpful each time. I can't imagine a better venue! The rooms were gorgeous and tastefully appointed. Thank you, Hotel Sutter, for making our weekend wedding visit to your area the highlight of our year!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014

I could go on and on about how much I love Hotel Sutter. It is such a beautiful and comfortable setting. The renovations over the last year are astounding. They've brought such a refinement to the building while maintaining the sense of history surrounding the area. Everything from the new lobby bar to the new rooms are classy without being pretentious. I'm instantly comfortable there.

The staff aren't only professional and courteous, but warm, delightful and ever so helpful. Even when making last minute requests, they were more than happy to oblige and made it seem effortless. They've got a great bar staff and the bloody marys are to die for! Darius and the kitchen staff prepared delicious food all weekend long. From the mussels to the short ribs, I could have indulged in a food coma the entire time we were there.

Not only will Hotel Sutter remain a substantial part of our wedding memories, it will forever be our weekend-getaway spot! My thanks go out to all the staff and I look forward to seeing them soon!

Room Tip: Room 300 overlooks main st. loved it.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2014

My husband and I got married in Sutter Creek this past weekend. We reserved the entire hotel for our guests and most of the food and activities were centered around the hotel. From planning to execution to check out, the staff at Hotel Sutter delivered an absolutely flawless experience.

During the planning stages, Elaine and Kirstin went above and beyond; they were super responsive and gave us lots of suggestions to help curate a perfect wedding weekend. They were receptive to our non-traditional agenda (from a wedding yoga session in the banquet room on Saturday morning to a late-night pork slider bar set up for guests returning from the wedding Saturday night). They were extremely cool about our last-minute requests. Most important of all: they were fun! They actually added their positive energy to the weekend. The entire staff was gracious and seemed genuinely happy to see us.

OMG the food! Chef Darius and his crew are the best-kept secret in Northern California. They provided exceptional catered appetizers to our ceremony - beautiful bites with a modern twist. Each day the breakfast was hearty and healthy and fresh. We had dinner in the restaurant Sunday night and it was the perfect, nourishing end to the weekend. I can't close without giving props out to their bartender Marissa. I had pre-ordered a batch of her white sangria for a Friday night BBQ. The sangria was gone in an hour. I called the hotel and they agreed to make 3 more batches for us for our wedding on Saturday. Marissa - you rock.

The rooms were stylish and super comfy - I want to buy one of their beds for our home. Hotel Sutter will forever hold a special place in our hearts. A huge thanks to the entire staff for making our wedding absolutely perfect.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 300 - it was fabulous.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2014

My husband and I were joining friends for a day of wine tasting and needed a hotel for one night in Sutter Creek. This is the only place that will accept a reservation for just one night on a weekend (we stayed on Saturday night). All the B&Bs in town required a two-night minimum. We checked in in about 5 minutes, no waiting, no delays, no problems. As it turned out, we were the only people in the hotel who were not guests of a wedding taking place that day; the wedding couple had rented out the entire rest of the hotel for themselves and their guests. At first we were concerned when we found our room was right next to the elevator and the stairs, but it was fine...no elevator noise and no noise from people coming and going up and down the stairs. The room was small, but with a large closet, and it was fine. The bed was extremely comfortable; we slept very well. I was also concerned about noise from the bar/restaurant on the first floor...the wedding guests partied there until the wee hours. However, we heard nothing. Our room "overlooked" the alley on the side of the building and we opened the window (screened) because we like fresh air. There was some noise from the street and alley (Saturday night, after all) but it died down after about 11:30 p.m. The front desk gave us two keys; one to the room and the other to the hotel's front door. These were actual keys, not key cards or electronic keys. We never needed the front door key; when we came back to the hotel that night the front door was still open at 10:30 and the front desk was manned. We did have to ask for coupons to the coffee place across the street, which we never used. I will say that parking can be a challenge; the hotel has a small parking lot in the back, but doesn't monitor who parks there. We were lucky to nab the last spot both times we pulled in. There is street parking, but it was all full when we were there. The hotel invited us to the breakfast brunch being hosted by the wedding couple, and we went. It was delicious. The wedding couple had also placed wine and wine glasses in all the rooms (including ours!) and we drank it out on The Balcony, which is a bar accessed via the hotel's second floor hallway. Great place to people watch and the staff was very friendly. The Balcony closes about 10 or 10:30 so guests on the second floor don't have to be concerned about bar patrons clomping past their rooms. All in all we really enjoyed our stay here. The bathroom in our room could have used a second light so I could see better when doing my make-up, but that's our only complaint. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

We wanted to stay at an old hotel in Sutter Creek for the ambience , well it was under construction, which is a good thing, but the construction crew did not clean up after themselves which was too bad..No fridge or coffee in the room. But they did give you a $3.00 off the coffee place across the street...They have frozen breakfast buritos and mcdonald type breakfast sandwiches mine was cold in the middle...Not a good choice . The Hotel itself will be nice when the renovations are complete. The manager Kelly was a doll, very helpful loved her..Hope she stays on so far she is there only asset...

Room Tip: Do not get the room above the bar on a Monday nite..otherwise it was a cool room because the balcony...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Sutter? Share your experiences!