“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Trailside Inn

You added BEST WESTERN Trailside Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Trailside Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2785 Main Street, PO Box 759, Susanville, CA 96130-0759   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Susanville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

My family & I stayed at this hotel the weekend of May 18-20 (a planned visit to see the annular eclipse). We were most impressed by the nice, super clean room and super friendly & accommodating staff. I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I travel a lot, and was so pleased with this Best Western that I took the time for a review. The rooms is very clean, really large, bed comfortable, pretty much anything you could ask for with a great rate. There is not one, but two chairs in the room, a wall hugger recliner and a compfy rocker. This place looks and feels brand new. The staff was remarkable. I hope I get to come here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Oceanside, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

This motel has 3 star facilities, but I can't in good conscience give them more than 2 stars.

The good part: The room was clean, and the beds were acceptable. The WiFi works, but that's hardly an extra credit item these day. The refrigerator is quite a bit larger than you usually find in a budget motel's mini-fridge. They have nice TVs, though only basic cable.

I will also note that the housekeeping staff is very good. They keep the rooms clean and they don't touch any of your belongings unless they are in a trash can. This is exactly what a hotel housekeeping staff should be instructed to do.

The disappointing elements: The hotel advertises a Black Bear Diner in the parking lot, which is a favorite restaurant for us, and in fact was the deciding factor in our decision to make reservations here rather than at the High Country Inn or the casino's hotel. The diner unfortunately burned down recently and is still being rebuilt, so it's not currently in business, yet their advertising still touts it.

They also advertise a heated pool, but the pool is completely dry. You could use it for skateboarding, but not swimming.

The room we got is not uncomfortably small, but it's certainly not the roomiest I've had, by any means, and that's only comparing it to other budget motels of the same sort. You need to shower early, or the water temperature fluctuates in a really irritating way during your shower.

They have typical through-the-wall heat pump type air conditioner/heater units, but as anyone familiar with this model will know, the built-in thermostat is highly unreliable, as it is chilled or heated much more quickly and strongly than the room itself. They have the temperature settings limited at 61 degrees on the low end, which would be more than sufficient except for the aforementioned problem.

Even set as low as possible, the air conditioning stops while the room is still quite hot because the thermometer is essentially directly in the flow of chilled air inside the unit.

If they had paid the small cost of the wall thermostats that can be connected to these units, they could have it at the opposite end of the room and it would actually work properly.

I'm here for a summer class at the local community college, and planning to attend an AA degree program at a later date, but I sadly have to say that when I come back I will almost certainly choose to stay at a different hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
DEllena, Owner at BEST WESTERN Trailside Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear TravelPaladin,
First I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding our cleanliness. We take pride in this area; each room is sanitized with UV light technology and inspected daily. Also thank you for noticing our mattresses; they are all brand new this year ! As for the cable, I need to clarify we do have expanded cable with 59 channels including 2 ESPN's, Animal Planet, HGTV, Comedy, A & E etc. and movie channels; we've had this package for many years. A basic cable in Susanville includes only 22 channels. You are absolutely correct about Black Bear Restaurant and I am sorry to not meet your expectations here, we thought construction of the restaurant would be completed by now but sadly, disappointing to all of us as well, that it is not. We will add this information to our website so that others are not let down as you were. Regarding the pool, motel properties in town this year opened late as we did for two reasons: first, cold temperatures, (freezing temps the first week in June), and second, pending legislation regarding DOJ's requirement for pool lifts. Our pool is open now, please come back and enjoy. You have a good suggestion regarding the PTAC heating and air conditioning units, a thermostat placed on the wall opposite the unit would be beneficial. We will explore that possibility. Regarding the hot water, I'm sorry. I will check this out as well, I'm surprised to hear about this. Our community college is wonderful, we have a great little community here and on behalf of all of our staff here at Best Western Plus Trailside Inn, I welcome you to our quiet little spot in the mountains. I'm positive that you will enjoy your time here.
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

The place was clean, classy and updated. It was hard to leave the room! You can tell a lot about a hotel by the lobby -- it too was extremely clean and nicely updated. People can always complain, but sometimes a great deal is just a great deal...

Room Tip: The rooms towards the back may be more quiet, but overall the place is NOT noisy...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Crescent City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I really enjoyed my recent stay with the BW in Susanville. It was a great room with really good amenities. I think the staff is definitely top-notch, very friendly and accomodating. I will definitely stay here again on my next trip to Susanville!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back, away from the highway.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We got in late after a long day of driving on a roadtrip. Good location, just off the highway. The hotel was not full at all, but we were put in a room with a huge wet spot on the carpet near the sink - which had a heat fan on it. We were too tired toi request another room. As I closed the curtains I noticed cobwebs and a spider nest at the top in the ruffles.

The room was quiet, but we did not have any neighbours.

However, the breakfast was really good! One reason I stay at Best westerns is that good breakfast is included and this certainly lived up to it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
DEllena, Owner at BEST WESTERN Trailside Inn, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

I'm excited to let you know about our state-of-the-art cleaning procedures. At our property daily, we use ultraviolet light cleaning wands. These UV wands kill all germs and completely sanitize all surfaces so that our guests can have peace of mind regarding the cleanliness of their accommodations. We also implement a deep cleaning program which is in addition to our daily cleaning. Everyone of our guest rooms each quarter is completely stripped, deep cleaned and sanitized. Every mattress, piece of furniture, bathroom fixture, all walls, carpets, floors etc. are cleaned not by one but by a team of our best housekeeping staff.

I'm sorry your stay did not exceed your expectations which is what we strive for here at the BW Plus Trailside Inn. If you would give us another try, please ask for me when making your reservation and I'll personally make sure your accommodations reflect our superior product and standards.

Best Regards,
Dirk Ellena
Owner
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

We had driven from Las Vegas the day we stayed here and we were extremely tired when we arrived. I requested a quiet room and paid extra to get this request fulfilled. When we entered the room, it was obvious it had not been cleaned as unmade beds were the first thing we saw. So back to the office where we were given an "upgrade" to a larger queen room. And it was quiet - until we turned on the heater. It sounded as if a diesel locomotive was in the room! And the refrigerator did not work. Rather than trudge back to the office yet again, we gave up by heating the room extra warmly before turning off the heater to try to get some sleep. It was awful! Although the desk people were nice, the product was horrid. I'd stay somewhere else if I found myself in Susanville, CA again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
DEllena, Owner at BEST WESTERN Trailside Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear 1960Greeneyes,

I am very sorry to hear of your experience at our property! We pride ourselves on our service and strive to provide a superior product. We are just about finished with the upgrading of 30 of our units with new granite and tile in our bathrooms; they look beautiful. We have installed new wood floors in many of our rooms, we've remodeled our breakfast room and have improved our breakfast menu. We have had so much good response from our guests regarding our improvements and our service that it saddens me you did not get to experience this. If you would like to give us another try, please contact me directly and I can help with your future reservation to make sure you enjoy your stay with us.

Sincerely, Dirk Ellena, General Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN Trailside Inn? Share your experiences!