“Clean, comfortable and affordable.” 5 of 5 stars

Vagabond Inn Sunnyvale
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   816 Ahwanee Ave, Sunnyvale, CA 94086   |
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Phoenix, Arizona
“Clean, comfortable and affordable.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Our company has been staying at the Vagabond Inn in Sunnyvale for over 10 years now. They are always willing to find a place for us if we need a last minute reservation. The staff is courtious and efficient and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The location has easy access to all Silicon Valley freeways.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Apache Junction, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This accommodation is affordable and very comfortable. I have been coming her for over seven years. It is in a neighborhood just off the 101 freeway and could not feel safer than your home. The staff is friendly and very helpful and most have been here since I first started staying here. My favorite things about staying here are the spacious rooms and the amazing water pressure in the shower. Of course I really like the ambiance of the place and the people who also stay here. I am away all night and sleep in the day time. It is always quiet and pleasant. Stay here for a relaxing time.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good and recently remodeled.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Kamlesh P, Owner at Vagabond Inn Sunnyvale, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you So much for your review. We are happy to know that you like to stay in our hotel. We will try to keep providing the service that we do to bring you back.

Thanks and Regards,
GM/Owner
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stay at the Vagabond Inn every week as a long distance commuter. For the price you get a great value. The Free Wifi is very helpful and usually pretty quick (If the place is packed with business folks, the Wifi slows down during peak hours).

Rooms are comfortable, roomy and have the usual amenities. Easy location and close to everything in Silicon Valley. Pool and free danish/coffee for breakfast and popcorn in the afternoon/evenings. Quiet, clean, and friendly. Can't beat it for the value.

Room Tip: Rooms on East side second floor get warm (hot) in the summer. Otherwise they are OK.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
It's good to know that you like to stay in our hotel. Now we have improved our wifi speed and we will try to keep providing the service which can make your stay happy.

Thanks and Regards,
GM/ Owner
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

The staff members at the front desk was extremely rude, confusing, and arrogant. After checking in, I walked in to my room with cockroaches and bugs crawling all over my bed, ceiling, and bathroom! So I went back to the front desk and cancelled my 3 night reservation and demanded for my money back. They said it would take about 3 business days for the credit to be refunded but it has been 2 weeks and no refund on my account so far! I keep calling back and they keep giving me the run around, telling me that they don't have any records of my stay or credit card refund when I have a confirmation given to me by the front desk agent. Horrible experience and even worse staff!

• Stayed September 2013
Central Coast, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed here out of necessity as we were too tired to drive more that night. This was one of the few places we could find with rooms which doesn't surprise me given I now see why people would pick other places first. The price wasn't that great for a budget hotel. When checking in the attendant seemed to be calling a room (only dialed a few digits) several times. This didn't click until we got to our room and a light and the tv were on. Had the feel an employee was hanging out in the room before we arrived.

Overall: I doubt we'd stay there again unless we were desperate. I have to say I believe the reviewer who suggests some of the positive reviews are planted by friends and relatives (and the management basically admits it in their response). To say that there was a "very big selection" at breakfast defies credibility. And to say the inn has a gym is misleading at best. They do have a deal with a gym down the street that you'd need to drive to where you can arrange to pay each time you use it, but to say the inn has a gym isn't accurate. The most positive reviews aren't from typical travelers but from people staying on an extended basis while working for a while in the US (that's what the H-1B visa is that one person mentioned). They seem to be assessing things from a different perspective and have a different arrangement with the management (like one who refers to being allowed to have equipment to cook in their room). There's nothing wrong with that situation by itself but it doesn't seem appropriate to include those reviews on a site like tripadvisor with its focus (they wouldn't even be appropriate for the vast majority of business travelers looking on tripadvisor and not at all for recreational travelers). Details of my experience are below.

Pros: room was basically clean and was a decent size.

Cons: 1. Bargain hotel but not such a bargain price. 2. The air conditioner didn't really cool the room during the night even when set on maximum. 3. The shower pressure was like an industrial sand blaster. It was uncomfortable and also caused suction that made the paper towel thin shower curtain push up against your body the whole time. Barely tolerable for me using it once. For kids or a longer stay it wouldn't be acceptable. 4. The free breakfast was barely adequate. The main items were toast, small bagels, pre-packaged little danish, and popcorn. Most of the people we saw there appeared to be young business people who made a danish sandwich on toast. Even a fast food place would be embarrassed to offer that and call it breakfast. Below par even compared to other Vagabond Inn's we've stayed at.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kamlesh P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Sunnyvale, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear 1359vk,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, though we are very concerned to read that you were not satisfied with your stay.
We are investigating your concern that someone was in the room before you arrived, and will definitely take your criticism as we plan for our upgrades in the near future.
As we know our breakfast is not for everyone, though compared to many traditional continental breakfasts that are offered, we try to provide a larger variety with what city and county laws allow us. For guests that require a full or hot breakfast, we do have a partnership with the diner we share a parking lot; to receive a discounted meal, proof of your stay at the property is required. We do try to secure a pass to a local gym as a bonus for our guests upon request prior to arrival, but it is currently not listed as one of our hotel amenities, as passes are given to us by the local off-site gym and not a guarantee.
Again, Thank you for your feedback. All feedback helps us to improve our products and services.
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I love this place! a place away from home yes.I will be going back there soon. Looking forward to it, Their staff is super nice and professional, I love that this Vagabond has a gym YAY for me since I love working out.Breakfast was more than we were expecting. A very big selection. Attendant was always there ahead of your needs. Everyone was friendly and went above and beyond. Clean nice rooms great snack, good internet connection. I stayed for more than 2 years the staff makes me feel right at home. Thank You for making this my second home !!!!! .
Really recommend it - great joy

Shrijeet Nair

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for the great review! Hope to see you again for your next visit.
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for over 2 months when I was on business trip and I enjoyed my stay. The Staff is very friendly and the service is quick. The rooms are spacious and the they provide you with enough cooking range in case you want to cook in your room. It is located next to Denny's which is open 24 hrs, so you don't have to travel anywhere to get food. The rooms are kept clean. In all, my experience was good and I would want to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kamlesh P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Sunnyvale, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our hotel, and will try to keep providing the service that we do to bring you back.

Thanks
Manager

Been to Vagabond Inn Sunnyvale? Share your experiences!