“A very well run and convenient hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Maple Tree Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   711 E El Camino Real, Sunnyvale, CA 94087   |
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Sunnyvale
San Diego, California
“A very well run and convenient hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I booked a room at the Maple Tree Inn because all of the "name brand" hotels near my meeting were booked for the date I needed. I'm very glad that I got to experience the Maple Tree, and I would definitely stay there again in the future.

The hotel is a 'no frills' business hotel, but everything about the hotel was nicely done. They obviously invested a lot of money in the pool area - which would be nice place to relax if you were staying for several days. The rooms were very clean - and everything worked perfectly. It's not fancy - but that's not what I'm looking for on a business trip.

The breakfast (included) was really nice and included waffles, cereal, toast, muffins, yogurt, fruit, eggs, ham and even miso soup. Everything was well stocked.

The location of this hotel is VERY CONVENIENT in that it's on the El Camino in the heart of Sunnyvale. You are just minutes from highway 280 and highway 101 - as well as many businesses in the area.

Again, not a fancy hotel, but very convenient and well run.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Beaverton, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Grand Hotel in Santa Clara is my benchmark when staying in the San Jose area. When I couldn't get in there this time I had to really scavenge to find something under $200 which was not musty, old or inconveniently located. I decided to try the Maple Tree Inn, and had a pretty nice stay. Here's what I found...

It's in a convenient location, on El Camino like the Grand. There is a dedicated left turn lane if you are coming from Mt. View. The parking is a bit tight, with small spaces and narrow lanes. If you arrive late, you may end up way in the back, and there is no public entrance back there so you will have to schlep your bag all the way to the lobby. Outside, the Grand looks like one of Sadaam's palaces. The Maple Tree looks like, well, a motel. Clean and neat, but brown. One of the side entrances seemed to double as a staging area for discarded office equipment.

The lobby is not grand either, but inviting and tidy. They have a mascot, a bird that lives in the lobby but he's quiet and unobtrusive. I was greeted promptly and cheerfully and the check-in was quick. Enter one of the two elevators, and you get that first hint of musty smell that is present in older properties. Still, the doors open and close quickly, and the trip is quick. Step into the hallway, and you see it is dated, with older carpet and decor. Still, it was clean and pleasant.

The room I chose was one of the remodeled executive style rooms. This is where I realized the Maple Tree was trying to be like the Grand. It did smell clean and fresh, but the room itself is smallish, with the bathroom taking a lot of the space. Like many rooms, the desk chair introduces a pinch point between the desk and bed. The interior of these rooms have been refurbished with masculine black and dark cherry accents. A very large padded wall sconce sits behind the bed providing a unique accent. A work desk, large armoire, chest of drawers and two end tables provide plenty of temporary storage. A tiny microwave sits atop a cabinet housing a large refrigerator and a single-serve coffee maker. The bathroom has been retrofitted with a sliding door. Inside are more attractive dark accents and surfaces with granite-look counters and tile floors and surrounds. The shower stall (no tub) is modern and elegant, but requires leaning in to turn on the water and your arm will get wet before you can get it out to wait for the hot water - an odd design. I did like the toilet with two water flush selections; #1 and #2 indicated by full and half-full circles. No robes are provided, but the amenities and towels were quality. The king bed was a pillow-top, a little firm but comfortable. The four pillows were foam, not my favorite. The AC unit was obviously newer, powerful and faily quiet, but mine was missing segments in the LED display and had to be set to 60 degrees before it started to cool. I couldn't figure it out at first and called the front desk. One of the clerks from the front desk came right up and helped me make it work.

The TV was a 32" flat screen but was connected to that annoying lodge net interface that required several button pushes just to get past the pay offers to the free TV. Once you exit to free TV, there was a nice assortment of channels, including HBO. The wireless internet worked OK, but my tests showed it was limited to .5MB in both download and upload speeds. Your access code is on the little card they slip your key into, so don't throw that away.

My room (and I suspect most of the remodeled rooms) was in a preferred location away from traffic and parking lot on the third (top) floor. I looked out at the pool / courtyard area where free beer and wine was served from 5-6:30pm. Like the Grand, a cheerful bartender will serve you a drink or three for free. The courtyard was also clean and pleasant with a resort feel and there is also a good size pool I didn't use. I didn't try evening hors d'oeuvres, but the breakfast buffet was in a nice large room and provided plenty of choices, from meat and eggs to cereal, fruit and waffles. Real china and silverware were provided, but I didn't see them until I had used the paper and plastic for two days. The hot food was the same both days I was there; sausage of unknown origin and an egg patty that resembled a McMuffin egg but likely poured from a milk carton. USA Today was available in the lobby.

Would I stay again? They do have rooms that are not upscale for significantly less. If I was on personal travel, I might opt for one of those as the location, cleanliness, food and beverage would probably bring me back. But even given the updated rooms, it's still just not quite Grand.

Room Tip: Try one of the updated rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We used the Maple Tree Inn as home base for an action packed bay area weekend, starting with a Giants game, where we caught the CalTrain conveniently located under 2 miles from the hotel and also to attend a concert at Shoreline, which is just a short 15 minute drive. The pool area is fabulously appointed, the breakfast buffet plentiful and the room amenities are terrific. We stayed here because of a Living Social deal, but I'd come back regardless.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
OnlineConcierge, Online Concierge for The Maple Tree Inn at Maple Tree Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. We're thrilled that you were able to find us by way of Living Social, and that you were able to pile so much action into a weekend! It sounds like you had fun, and it's always a treat to be a home base for something like that. But you are absolutely right - we're the perfect location for the Bay Area, be it work or play. In fact, we're a new management company here at Maple Tree, and there are certainly exciting things ahead! We have some rooms being renovated and updated, we plan to bring more people to create even friendlier and more helpful service, and hopefully update the hotel so that it is even more charming for your future stays!

Thank you for your kind words. They mean a lot to us at the hotel, and they help us much! Cheers, and be well!

Roorkee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have stayed in The Maple Tree Inn many a times and have got to appreciate it better now especially because of the location.
The room is just a good convenient room. The bed is just OK but the pillows are of better quality. The towels are always good and quite white and bright. Several hand napkins also.
The TV is old and I wonder when they will change to LCD types.
There are many good places around Maple Tree Inn for eating and shopping : all walking because I do not drive in the USA : Maries Calender , In and Out, Mc Donalds, Starbucks, Bengali Sweets ( North Indian), Balaji ( South Indian), Spice Hut ( South Indian, yummy Dosas and Idlies but the sauce is too hot ... beware ) , Safeway, Toys R Us, Babies R Us, Payless Shoes, Ross, Cold Stone Ice cream etc.
The Hotel Breakfast is always very good and you have choice of an American Breakfast or Oriental. Hot Waffles and toast too.
The Shower water is always too slow which I think they did it to save water but it just takes forever to take a bath with so slow water and little water.
There is coin laundry and it is v helpful

Room Tip: Ask for a room in line with the restaurant so you have that and the Free Internet PC and free green...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the informative review! We really value the power of social media, and these review sites, to inform and educate - not just us, but for the other potential guests reading this right now. You gave a wonderful run down of how conveniently located we are, and all the various options right on our doorstep. Tripadvisor is an amazing aid, and it really makes decision making easier in the complex process of planning travel. In fact, your review will help many people for years to come, so we truly appreciate taking the time to share your thoughts.

You may be happy to know that Maple Tree is under new management, and we plan to take on a couple of your concerns, as well as update the property. We *just* got here, but by the time you visit again, I am sure you will see some welcome changes. What's more, the power of these reviews to educate and inform *us* is the most helpful, and humbling, thing of all. Your earnest, constructive comments have been taken seriously, and we are looking into them. We will look into the water issue, as well as make a note about the aging television population of the hotel. We are hoping to make many updates in the coming months, so don't hesitate to let us know what you think upon your return.

Cheers, thank you again, and I hope this finds you well!

merced
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The Maple Tree is a very classy, clean and safe hotel. The breakfast had waffles, yogurts, cereals, coffee, fruits etc, and also had rice, soups, and other items for japanese guests.
The pool area is very nice and roomy with a firepit, bbq area and beautiful landscaping around the area. The rooms very spacious and very well kept.

Room Tip: Room 271 was very nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We really value the power of these review sites to educate and inform us about how we are doing, find where we have room for improvement, and observe in what ways we are exceeding expectations. Your review is one of those times we simply get to enjoy a job well done; you really help others realize that the property itself is a wonderful spot. So, we happily agree with your sentiment!

Our pool area is FABULOUS, and we like to think of it as a little oasis in the middle of Silicon Valley. The opportunities to lounge, sit in the hot tub, enjoy the fire pit, or have a drink or two, are numerous. It's a great space for events, as well.... you feel hidden and whisked away from the hustle and bustle of the area. It something we are proud of, and it's just one highlight to our inn, which will be receiving a lot of TLC and new updates in the coming months. We promise to keep it classy, and we hope to become more so in the coming years. Thank you for your words, and the time you took to share them. Cheers, and be well!

Guadalajara, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

First of all KUDOS for their honesty!!! I lost my iphone somewhere, not even sure where and left a message at the desk that I had lost it and if it showed up to please let me know. Reward offered. They called me to let me know it was found and said, no reward please, that is our job. We enjoyed our stay there, we were there for 8 days. It was wonderfully located, we were able to walk EVERYWHERE. Lots of shopping near by and that was important to us! Restaurants too. The breakfast in the morning was very good. Good coffee, lovely waffles! lots of fruit! The room was clean, spacious and we got one off the back parking lot so it was very quiet. Thank you Maple Tree Inn and Brandy!!

Room Tip: They have remodeled rooms. I did not stay in one of those but you might want to request a remodeled...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words. It means a lot to read about these positive, reaffirming experiences from a guest. To be frank, it is *absolutely* our job to be professional, organized, and above all, hospitable, to our guests. Lost & Found is something taken very seriously, whether it's a power cord or vital laptop, we will help it find it's home to the best of our ability. In fact, your story is a testament to the professionalism and talent of the previous management company, and how they conducted business. We're part of a new management company that just started with Maple Tree, and we will continue to remain as dedicated to our guests, with quality service and loyal help.

Your further comments in regards to the hotel and breakfast and truly appreciated. It's a treat to know we can please guests just by doing what we do - but when something really important happens, we like to go the extra mile, and do everything we can to help our guests out.

Thank you so much, and we hope this finds you well.

Kent, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We have stayed at the Maple Tree now for several years, about once a month, for several days, usually for business. Twice a year there is also my wife traveling with me, and our dog Daisy. The Maple Tree over the last few years has invested heavily into the remodel of their facilities and rooms. The rooms are always clean and although somewhat dated are up to modern standards. If I have ever had an issue or concern they took care of it quickly. The hotel is in a quiet place and convenient to hundreds of places to eat. The beds are comfortable and I trust they will keep them up with their aging process. Air conditioning was manual, a little noise but not bad. They serve a morning breakfast (very good) and evening social hour with wine, beer, and other drinks. A beautiful and remodeled pool and patio area (large) is also available.

Room Tip: Breakfast and social hour provided.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Maple Tree Inn? Share your experiences!