“budget hotel” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   711 E El Camino Real, Sunnyvale, CA 94087   |
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Sunnyvale
“budget hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Initial impression of hotel upon arrival was disappointing as it looked tired and décor was not up to date, the room gave the same impression and could do with renovation. The bathroom was below par as the water pressure was poor and sink was semi blocked. Noise could have been a major issue, as the walls were thin and I was lucky that my neighbors were relatively quiet. In terms of cleanliness the room was clean.

Breakfast did not offer much choice.

Overall you get for what you pay for. I will not stay at this hotel again

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
MapleTreeManager, Public Relations Manager at Maple Tree Inn, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We apologize for your less than satisfactory stay. We are currently in the process of room renovations to enhance the stay of our valued guests. In addition, we strive to make every effort to improve our amenities, not excluding our complimentary hot American/Asian breakfast buffet. We hope that you will consider our hotel on your next trip to the area.

The Maple Tree Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We have stayed at the Maple Tree Inn many times.
Monday through Thursday there is a cocktail hour with two drinks each and hot snacks.
The daily breakfast offers many hot and cold choices---eggs, sausages or bacon, biscuits and gravy, miso soup, waffles, cereals, fruit, yogurt, pastries, juices, coffee and tea, and more.
Rooms are comfortable, plenty of parking, computer access, large lobby, newspapers, outdoor pool with tables and chairs.

In and Out fast food is across the street. Other restaurants close by. Safeway supermarket also close.

Room Tip: We like the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
MapleTreeManager, Public Relations Manager at Maple Tree Inn, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
We are very pleased to hear that your stay at our hotel was enjoyable. We pride ourselves in offering exceptional amenities to our valued guests. We hope you will return on your next trip to the area.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

The hotel is decent at around 100 USD per night, especially bearing in mind the horrendous quality of all the other properties you can glimpse along El Camino all the way to Palo Alto. However:

1) There seems to be Internet only in one room in the hotel, the VIP business room, which houses a newer TV, DVD player, and a router.

2) Unfortunately, this room faces El Camino and is really noisy - though you can drown the noise with the ancient air-conditioner. The walls are also paper-thin, of course.

3) We had problems with cigarette smoke from staff smoking often right under our window and from the guest(s) in next room who stenched up the whole corridor.

4) After being served for breakfast for a few days, the boiled eggs finally got rotten - taste carefully before eating!

5) They use some weird washing powder to wash the sheets - they had a nasty greasy-hair smell, even after I asked for them to be changed. I could tell they were washed and cleaned, but they did not smell good at all.

6) The carpet and the curtains were quite dirty and shabby, and I can assure you this is so throughout the hotel because we spent some time checking out rooms in the hope of finding one that was quiet (that is, did not face El Camino) AND had (any) Internet, which turned out to be impossible.

Overall, good shot considering the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
MapleTreeManager, Public Relations Manager at Maple Tree Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Firstly, let me apologize for your less than satisfactory stay at our property. Our goal is to make every guest's experience as pleasurable as possible. We are currently in the process of room
renovations and our goal is to enhance the stay of our guests. We are aware that the internet connection has been flawed, but we are currently in the process of enhancing internet connectivity for our guests and staff, whom have also been effected by low connectivity. We hope you will return in the near future for a completely new and enjoyable stay.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I had a bad feeling about the hotel upon my arrival! But it was after 11pm when I arrived and the front desk clerk was nice. I can't say for sure if this is where I was bitten by bed bugs as I stayed at three hotels that week - This was the first one. But I definitely saw and killed one on the bed at this hotel after I had slept in it! It was approximately 5am when I saw and squished it. The bug was big, dark brown, and when I squished it between the sheets it left a blood spot. I didn't realize it was a bed bug because I didn't have any bites at that time and it was bigger than I would have thought they were. Anyway, within days, and even a week later bites were showing up on my arms. Ugh. I stayed the night of October 23rd.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
MapleTreeManager, Public Relations Manager at Maple Tree Inn, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. We reasuure you that this is not a hotel wide issue. It has nothing to do with the cleanliness of the hotel. It has been said bed bugs can be brought over by travelers (internationl and domestic) through luggage and clothing. We work with Orkin to inspect the Hotel once a month. Our housekeeping has been extensively trained by Orkin to find these bed bugs. If and when they are found the room is quarantined for more than a week. We have taken the appropriate measures to contain and exterminate bed begs in the past.

Yours in Hospitality,

The Maple Tree Inn
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Rooms are clean and comfortable, most are set back from El Camino and quiet, though not overly large. Breakfast is more than the cold roll and coffee: egg patties, waffles, fruit, cereal, and for Asian tastes, miso soup and instant noodle bowls. "Hospitality hour" M-F from 6 gets you a free drink and very substantial snacks (not quite enough for dinner), either in the dining room or around an attractive, solar heated pool. Free (but slow) wi-fi. Don't know why others have found the property problematic - I was quite pleased. And MANY good restaurant choices within a couple miles up and down El Camino.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

OK, the people who worked the front desk seem very nice. I'll give them that. But I'm reading these reviews and wondering if these people actually stayed at the hotel. Old, musty, rundown, small rooms, cold, bad bed, no water-pressure, spotty wi-fi...do I really need to go on? Inexpensive? I guess...but there have got to be better options in the area.

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Stayed 3 nights while working in the area and overall would recommend and stay there again. The only reason I didnt rate this inn at the highest option was an ongoing key/lock issue that forced me to hike back to the front desk 4 times in 2 days to have the keys fixed and then the lock. That aside, the AM breakfast has many choices, the internet worked fine and the staff were very efficient and helpful at all times. I did not have the opportunity to take in the afternoon snacklets and beverages, but they were a nice touch. For the price and convenience of location, I chose this above other brand name chains and I am pleased it worked out so well.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Maple Tree Inn? Share your experiences!