“DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Sunnyvale
austin, texas
“DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Old, old hotel. Fitness room is actually in a hotel room. The ONE treadmill is from 1980's. ONE Bike, ONE elliptical. All packed into a room that was about 95 deg. There was a guy laying on a mat between the machines doing pushups. What a joke!!! Horrible experience for a $200 room. I worked hard to reach Platinum level but there are no benefits. No water in the room, no room upgrade. The Club level room was out of bottled water twice, the coffee machine was not operating. Going back to Hyatt. I switched to Hyatt Santa Clara and had a great experience. Health Club is excellent

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Epenesa, General Manager at Sheraton Sunnyvale, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear bagaline,

Thank you for your honest feedback and please accept my sincere apologies for your experience. We value our platinum members greatly and it is extremely disappointing to see that we did not meet your expectations. The temporary fitness center we had set up was only in that room due to our brand new renovation of our much larger fitness room. Unfortunately, we encountered some construction issues that have delayed the completion of the room. However, based on your feedback we will be relocating the temporary fitness room to a larger space that would accomodate more of our guests more comfortably. I have addressed the issues with the club lounge running out of water and have created a process to ensure this does not happen again. We do hope that you consider returning to our hotel to give us a second chance. We will certainly take great care of you and ensure that your expectations are met. If you would like to give us a second chance please contact me directly.

Epenesa Pakola
epenesa.pakola@sunnyvalesheraton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a family emergency trip to visit a relative who was very ill. I booked this hotel the same day and got a good rate on priceline.com. The rooms were clean and nice. However, the customer service from one of the staff at the front desk needed improvement.

We expected better customer service from the front desk of a Sheraton. Gabriela R. seemed like she hated her job. She had been helping a dissatisfied customer when I approached to check out. My family and I were already in shock at seeing our frail relative; we did not need attitude from a hotel staff member. Gabriela must have been having a bad day because not only was she rude to the customer and made excuses for why she could not reverse a charge but she actually told another front desk co-worker to take care of the dissatisfied customer because she couldn't deal with her when the customer was out of earshot. Of course she caught herself before she finished her rude comment realizing that I was standing RIGHT there while she had helped that customer a few minutes before. By the time she helped me, I received lukewarm service. I just wanted to make sure the Internet charge was not charged to my room (yes, there's a $9.99 Internet charge if you use it in your room but free in some parts of the hotel).

I would only recommend staying here if customer service is not on your list of priorities. Although it was only one employee, it reflects badly on the hotel since we are paying customers and deserve, at the least, good customer service. There are many choices out there that hotels should make sure their employees know how to treat customers well.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Epenesa, General Manager at Sheraton Sunnyvale, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Dear MissDvo,

I hope that all is well with your ill relative and family. It must have been a difficult time for you while visiting us at the Sheraton Sunnyvale. I am glad that you found the rooms nice and clean as we pride ourselves in keeping a well maintained hotel. In regards to customer service, it is a major focus and priority at the hotel and we take anything short of superior guest service very seriously. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention and measures have been taken to ensure we deliver only the best service to our guests. I do hope that you consider visiting us again so that you may experience a personalized and unique level of service here at the Sheraton Sunnyvale. I am only sorry you were not able to receive the great service we typically deliver during your stay with us. My hope is that you would give us another chance.

If you would like to visit us again please let me know,

Epenesa
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Note to hotel: When you don't upgrade a Platinum member and put them in an average room, don't expect a good review.

So rather than building the hotel high, the Sheraton Sunnyvale opted to spread out the rooms in multiple buildings scattered across the property. The building I was in was two stories tall. Only problem is that my room was on the 2nd floor with NO elevator. Dragging your luggage up flights of stairs is not what you want to do on a Monday evening.

When I got into my room, I was rather disappointed as noted in my introductory paragraph. I booked a room with a King size bed and honestly I have no idea how they fit it into such a small space. In fact, the bed seemed to be way too big for the room. The bathroom was also very small. I felt claustrophobic as I maneuvered my way around the room. For a property that's so spread out, I would think that they could build some larger rooms. Guess I was wrong.

Went to the restaurant, which I heard was supposed to be good. My girlfriend tried to order a couple of items and they were out of both. She asked for salmon and they had run out. She also asked for a mojito, but they apparently ran out of mint! I'll write another review on the restaurant separately, but felt that it was still technically part of my hotel experience.

I can't drop the rating below 3 stars though as it is a Starwood property and Starwood for the most part maintains a high level of quality. However, comparing this hotel to other Starwood properties particularly in the South Bay, I'd have to say that it's below average. At least the parking is free and the location is convenient if you are traveling to Sunnyvale or Mountain View for business. Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend the Sheraton San Jose in Milpitas if you are looking for a moderately priced Starwood hotel in the South Bay.

Room Tip: Get a room on the bottom floor if you have a lot of luggage or ask a bellman for assistance because...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear NWTraveler25,

Thank you for your review. We truly value our Platinum members and do everything we can to ensure they are upgraded to the best rooms available. I am sorry we did not have any more upgraded rooms available for you during your stay with us.

I would love to address your concerns and would appreciate more information in regards to your stay such as what room you had stayed in.

I look forward to the opportunity to discuss the details of your stay further,

Epenesa
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel many times over the last few years for business. My office is literally down the street, AND I am a Platinum SPG member which makes this hotel my number one choice only for those reasons. However, I have stayed in enough Sheratons over the years to see that this particular location can do some improving. Often, I have been upgraded to a club room which I think is the best location in the whole complex because it is in the same building as the gym, business center and front desk. But the bathrooms don't seem to be as upgraded in these rooms as they are in the rest of the complex. Also, I have noticed a few stains on the carpets which didn't look appealing. However, if I am assigned to a room in one of the other buildings, I find it inconvenient, especially when it gets cold in the evenings. Also, when I arrive early in the afternoon, I seem to get better service than when I arrive late at night. One time, I arrived at 1am after a LONG DRIVE, and was treated with less than acceptable service - However, in the morning, the manager was very accommodating about my complaint.

One place I do like in the hotel is the restaurant Faz. The wine selection is reasonable, and I have always enjoyed their food. They also have the same menu for room service.

As far as value, I have seen the price of this hotel go up to $300 a night, and as low at $90. I honestly would not pay more than $150 for this hotel. The quality and cleanliness isn't worth more than this, and the front desk service of the evening and night staff can certainly improve.

But as I've said, I will continue to stay at this hotel because I am an SPG member and it is located very close to my office.

Room Tip: They have 5 or 6 buildings - I prefer the rooms in the main building (where the club lounge and fron...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights on a recent business trip. Room was spacious (though I was apparently upgraded for being SPG gold from a king to a 2 queen room, so don't know what a basic room would be like) working good speed internet and decent work area. Slight musty smell upon entering but soon faded, though maybe I just got used to it.

Bar and restaurant area seemed decent enough, with a fairly good selection of drinks on tap.
Free parking, easy to get to off the highway. Make sure you take the correct exit from the lot, otherwise you have to circle around a couple of blocks to get back to the highway.

Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

An excellent motor hotel that has recently undergone what appears to be a superb room rennovation. Well-located in the Palo Alto area, near Moffett Field.

Outdoor pool area very large, clean and well-kept--bet it's a blast in the Spring and Summer

The rooms were huge, well appointed, well-lighted and super clean--internet connectivity was smoking.

Front desk service was outstanding; the gents working the desk fell all over themselves with enthusiasm and courtesy.

The bar and restaurant had a lot of action on a Wednesday night and a lot of festive customers providing entertainment--the bartenders were friendly, engaging and were generous with the pour.

The breakfast buffet was good, nothing to write home about, but checked the block for hearty food and fast service.

I'll stay here again--it isn't luxury or high-end, but it's comfortable, clean, well-kept and far better than other alternatives within a few miles

Room Tip: INTERIOR ROOM, off the 101--don't take a 200 series room unless it faces the pool. Traffic noise...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012 via mobile

Ok let's get this out first. I am a hotel points hog and I love the Starwood group. I've logged over 300 nights at SPG in the past few years - mostly as a consultant.

If that's what you are after or you want to stay at a Starwood property in the South Bay, do not stay here. The pictures on their website are quite misleading. I typically stay at the W in Newark but I wanted to give the Sheaton Snnyvale a try since its closer to my work place, and the pictures on their website looked quite decent.

I stayed here one night in January 2012 on a Friday evening and was really disappointed. First, this is not a SPG owned hotel, but is managed by some other company - which in itself was a bit of surprise. I don't expect a lot from Sheratons in the US but this was a huge let down after having relatively low expectations.

I've been seeing rooms go for 250-300 a night here during weekdays, and also their website talks about a new look and renovated rooms, but it definitely wasn't how they made me picture it.

The place is like a motel - separate buildings with entrance from outside, meaning you don't walk through a secure corridor to your room like a typical hotel or any other Sheraton I've stayed at in the US. They do have a secure entry way into each building, but you cannot walk all the way from the lobby to your room without stepping outside. Frankly, I felt a bit scared walking through the hallways at night. Car park is right outside the room - so that's an advantage or rather a negative if you don't like a cheap motel - that's the feeling I got.

They only part of the hotel that felt like a Sheraton was the lobby and business center, otherwise not any better than a motel.

Positives (a few) were:

a. Rooms are clean
b. not too long a drive to silicon valley companies in sunnyvale / Santa Clara

Negatives:
a. Not too many options to eat close by
b. nothing to do close by (walking around)
c. Feels less secure and not the safest experience

I didn't stay long enough to experience other aspects of the hotel, but I did take pictures of what the hotel didn't put up.

If you like Starwood, there are better options - try the W Newark, or even Four Points by Sheraton
In San Jose Downtown - lot better places to stay at

I'm not coming back here again. Ever.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Sheraton Sunnyvale? Share your experiences!