“Not worth the $$” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Not worth the $$”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

During check-in the service was pretty good, but when I noticed that my interior room had an extremely loud air conditioner, they only offered me ear plugs. I was up all night by the sound. It was awful. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Hello BaxJC,

I apologize for the air conditioner noise. We are currently in the process of having our central units replaced. I understand that this does not replace a good nights sleep for you, and sincerely apologize.

Fax: 408-984-7120

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I very much wanted to give the Domain a higher rating, and if it weren't for the bed, I would have. The location is fine, and even though we had a street-facing room (on the top floor with a small balcony) there was really no road noise. The staff were always friendly and helpful. Check-in was quick, and we were treated to an upgraded room.

I have no complaints at all . . . except for that bed. This was my first time sleeping on a "Sleep Number" bed. The idea sounds great--find a firmness setting that you like, your partner can find another one, and the bed will remember--but in practice it failed to deliver. For one thing, we both had to try several times just to get the bed to adjust at all. You could hold the button down, and it would sort of make noise and try to adjust, but there would be no change. Then, after a while and a lot of trial and error, it was possible to get it to a setting that seemed just right. But did it stay at that setting? Not a chance. It changed dramatically during the night, and not because I was laying on the control. It just couldn't hold a setting for very long. Maybe these beds are just not meant for hotel service because they will be changed and played with so often. One thing is for sure: I will never buy one. But sleeping (or trying to) on one for four nights tarnished the luster of what is otherwise a very nice hotel.

Sorry, Domain. You tried, and your desk staff are great, but that bed . . .

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello MoseyON,

We take guest satisfaction very seriously. Although I'm proud our staff was courteous, I apologize we were unable to resolve the problem during your stay. We will have the room inspected and the bed fixed, so this does not happen in the future.

Please accept my sincere apologies. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me for future stays and I will personally inspect your room to ensure satisfaction.

Lathrop, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My highest compliments to the staff that was on duty last night around 8:00 pm. I went with my daughter to reserve a room for the night; she very much wanted a well-deserved getaway since she has a 2 year-old son. Your prices were very reasonable, and the ladies at the front desk did everything possible to make us feel comfortable, including giving her a nice upgrade. This is the first time we've reserved a room there, and the hospitality everyone showed us made us want to come back. Thank you for having such a wonderful staff

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Ana,

Nothing is more gratifying then receiving positive comments from our guest. Everyone deserves rest and relaxation, and we're so happy we could give that to you!

We look forward to serving you in the future!

The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

At first we booked one night at this hotel but were so happy to stay here that we prolonged our stay with another two nights. We had a wonderful spacious room. Since it is was an upgraded room (at a special weekend rate) we considered ourselves to be lucky. The room was very clean and nicely decorated. We liked the colour scheme very much because this resulted in a relaxing atmosphere.
But more than the room, we appreciated the personal attention of the staff. Especially Ruby and Todd of the reception were very helpful and friendly. With Ruby I had a nice conversation about books and running and she gave me a handwritten card with a quotation from the book and some very kind words. I have never had such an experience. These are the details that count...!
The last thing which I would like to mention is the delicious breakfast and the tasteful complimentary glass of wine in the lobby during happy hour. And we loved the pool as well.
We would definitely stay again in this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello Bertina,

It is great to hear from you. We hope your family enjoyed your trip to Norther California. We would love to have you back anytime.

San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I reserved the hotel for a stay with my step mother who is suffering from cancer -- for s short rest. The hotel was very clean. smelled great and she had a great experience. The staff was very supportive and provided great service. It meant a lot to both of us. I would definitely stay at this hotel and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: It was very quiet on the east side of the 3rd floor. Great parking garage under the hotel at no cos...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello Pam,

We are so happy we could support you during your trip for your step mother. Thank you for staying with us, and please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly if you need assistance with future reservations.

Estero, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I don't know what I was expecting Domain to be like, but I was really taken aback when we arrived. The route we took to the hotel didn't make it seem like it was in the greatest of areas. I've been told Sunnyvale is pretty safe, but the area the hotel is in felt sketchy. At best, it's definitely older and run-down.

It was 1am when we arrived and we had reserved the Domain Suite (best room class - 450 sq. ft, 3rd floor with balcony and Jacuzzi). We walked into our room to see they put us in the Atrium King (lowest level room class - 205 sq. ft, 1st floor, no amenities). Did they think we wouldn't notice the difference? I called the front desk and was given a runaround for about 10-15 minutes. I was told they only have one Domain Suite but 30 reservations for it that week. No apologies...as if this was somehow my fault that they oversold the room category? Not sure how they magically fixed the issue, but with enough complaining, I was finally put in the Domain Suite.

The room was fine. Certainly nothing fancy - not even central A/C, just a window unit. But, it was clean and sufficed.

If I had to compare Domain to a hotel chain, I would say it's most like Aloft. However, I enjoy Aloft hotels much more than I enjoyed this. The next time I do business in the area, I'll stay at one of the more luxury hotels in Palo Alto before coming back to Domain or back to Sunnyvale.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Happyjackman,

Please accept my apologies for your arrival experience. This is not the level of service we look to provide at anytime, nor are these comments we are accustomed to hearing. I understand how an experience can influence an entire stay. I have addressed your concerns with my team and with our General Manager, and we have taken steps to improve.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly in the future and I will oversee your entire stay with us.

Thank you so much for your comments.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Sadly I did not listen to the other reviews I read thinking it can't be that bad.. it must have improved.. I regret my choice and will never second guess the bad reviews.. maybe for half the cost this would be a value or deal but for what they ate along you'd expect a minimum level of service, amenities, etc.. this sadly fails to meet even the most basic odd requirements over and over again to a paint where it would be comical I'd not so sadly tragic.

• Stayed August 2013
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear IAMJOSH2,

I wanted to apologize for your initial experience in your first room. I'm glad that we were able to rectify these issues while you were still with us and have you upgraded to one of our superior rooms. This is not the level of service we look to provide at anytime, nor are these comments we are accustomed to hearing. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will only help us continue to improve our service.

Fax: 408-984-7120

Been to The Domain Hotel? Share your experiences!