“Top notch service!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 34 hotels in Sunnyvale
Kingston, New York
“Top notch service!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

My company sent me here on business, and what a great choice of hotel. The rooms have been renovated and include an amazing bed as well as a fridge (microwave upon request). The hot breakfast is excellent. The best part however is the staff. They have all been wonderful, going the extra mile. The shuttle is typically only available for corporations, but the driver drove me to a nearby mall during a slow spell. The bartender was kind enough to reheat my takeout. I am so impressed by the top notch service. My only complaint is that the soundproofing is inadequate. The "elephants" in the room above me woke me up the other night. There are loads of nearby restaurants. Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Nothing is more gratifying then receiving positive comments from our guest. We fully understand that quiet room is important to getting proper rest. Please feel free to contact me directly prior to your next visit, and we will proactively select your room to ensure the lowest possible noise level. We are excited to serve you in the future.

495 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Needham, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I really wanted to like this hotel. It's very welcoming when you walk in and the decor is pleasing. The staff is really nice, breakfast was great every day. Beds were very comfortable and rooms had all the amenities you get in a hotel in this price category. It's centrally located in Silicon Valley for business. So what's the problem? Erratic hot water. I'm sorry, when I get up in the morning, I want to take a hot shower. Is that too much to ask these days? The first day it was just cold. The second day, I woke up early thinking that it might be better to shower before too many people used the hot water. It started out hot but after 2 minutes, went right to cold. After another minute it went back to hot then luke warm. The third day was better but I had enough with taking chances and checked out. About half the people in my group experienced this issue. I'm not sure if this is a systemic problem with the hotel or an issue with one of their hot water heaters. But it appears to have been going on for a while according to other posters so I'm not sure what the hotel is waiting for. I heard hot water isn't an issue after 10am but what good is that? Until this is fully resolved, I'd advise staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have hot water issues
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
We would like to apologize for hot water issues that you experienced during your stay, this is not the level of service we look to provide at anytime. Hot water is a basic expectation of any hotel stay and is an issue that we are fully committed to fixing. We certianly appreciate your positive comments about staff and breakfast quality. We are aware that you have many options when choosing where to stay while traveling and we thank you for continuing to choose us. Please accept our apology.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at any time and I will personally oversee your stay to ensure the up most satisfaction. We look forward to serving you in the future.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Hotel lies on a rather busy divided road surrounded by strip malls and fast food joints. The Domain was probably called something else five years ago as it has that "let's spend a little money in the common areas to try to dress up a drab old hotel". Layout and sight lines are just odd. Kind of like the architect that did the work was just out of college and was working on a very tight budget.

The room itself was fine and reasonably quiet (I was located near ice machine, etc but I never heard it being and I didnt notice traffic noise even though my room faced the street. I like Select Comfort Sleep Number beds and that is what the hotel seems to have (at least my room did). Big plus there.

The bathroom had a simple vanity mirror (no built in lighting) & good towels. The hot water pressure in the shower was quite poor.

I found the staff helpful and pleasant but at times the reception staff's inexperience showed through.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. Your survey and comments are greatly appreciated and will only help us continue to improve! We apologize for the water pressure issue, and are dedicated to addressing this issue. Thank you for your continued business.

San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stay at The Domain hotel every year since my boyfriend and I have been together. We have been together for about 4 years now and we just recently stayed at the Domain on 1/26/13 for my boyfriend's birthday. I'm not usually the type of person who would write reviews because I expect every hotel staff to be nice anyways because that is their job. But every time I go to this hotel the staff always goes above and beyond my expectations and that is why we keep coming back here. The hotel is beautiful and Clean but the STAFF IS VERY FRIENDLY AND VERY ACCOMMODATING. They make us feel extra special every time we stay here. Hotels usually leave you a bottle of wine in your room before you check in if it's your birthday or anniversary. But when you get in late the ice is already melted. BUT NOT in this hotel.... We checked in at 8:30 p.m. Justin, the front desk host personally delivered the cake and a bottle of wine in our room. We also had different requests and Justin was so nice to do it for us. He was always smiling and was so grateful. He was just amazing! I wanted to tip him but he did not take it. I love this hotel. I will keep coming back here. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. Coming from me and I'm usually very critical is something. This is the first review I have ever written. I hope this helps!

Room Tip: I love their Junior Suites =)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our number one focus is always the guest and Justin is a prime example of that!

Thank you!

Poulsbo, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Our business team stayed at The Domain for three days. On the first day, when I tried to take a shower, it took over 20 minutes to get hot water. The during that time the water remained below 60 degrees F. Finally it got hot enough to shower. The second day it took a long time, but not as long. Also, as the water was varying in temprature, it was difficult to shower as it got very hot then cold. The third day was better. The lavatory faucet never got hot in all three days. I called and visited the front desk on the first day and all I got was an illogical reason that the pipes got too cold. The outside tempratures were cold. My business colleagues also complained about problems with the water. Otherwise, it is a great hotel.

Room Tip: Just don't stay there when the weather is very cold.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We would like to thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. We would like to apologize for hot water issues that you experienced during your stay, this is not the level of service we look to provide at anytime. Hot water is a basic expectation of any hotel stay and is an issue that we are fully committed to fixing. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will only help us continue to improve. Please accept our apology.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I'm in room 331 as I write this. This was obviously an older hotel given a new, chic modern overhaul. I like the interior a lot, but let's get real: I'm not staying in the atrium area, and the modern decor of the room and the property overall cannot mask a few issues.

PROS: again, room, and overall style of the hotel is top notch (though I would have axed the popcorn ceilings when they did the overhaul/redesign). Staff is friendly, helpful and full of good information. WiFi, at least with my corporate rate, is complimentary (I wouldn't call it high speed -- Speedtest.net reports at most 2GB down and _maybe_ 1GB down). I'm not planning to eat here, but the selections look nice enough - but again, I can't comment since I'm not eating here.
It IS near plenty of food options (ignore what other reviewers have said about "faceless strip malls" and "fast food only" -- I'm not sure what they were expecting in this part of Silicon Valley: it's suburban Sunnyvale, not hipster central up in the San Francisco. If you enjoy Asian (Japanese/sushi, Korean, Thai) there's plenty of options. And yes, the major fast food chains are nearby. But I also ate at The Fish Market down the block and it was really good. There's good food options within a few miles - so if that's a concern, DON'T let that scare you off. But this is definitely not a tourist area. My assumption is that most folks who stay here are on business. ROOM: it's nice, but feels small, and I'm in a "Superior" level room. Good new carpet, beds are Sleep Number beds and I anticipate a restful, relaxing and comfortable sleep the next 2 nights here. Bathroom is also very nicely appointed and very clean. Room has an LG flat screen TV with free HBO. Overall, I like the room design. Parking is free either out front or in the well-lit garage below the building.

CONS: Walls are thin: I can hear my neighbors arguing as I write this. Also, they play musak in the atrium area -- if you have a room just above the atrium, this could be an issue. if you need quiet to sleep, ask for a room in the back AND in a corner away from the atrium area. The AC Unit in my room is LOUD when on -- I sleep like the dead, so this is not a huge issue for me, but if you are a light sleeper it will be for sure. The desk chairs are a fake Aeron style, but do not rise high enough to be at an ergonomic level (I'm six feet, so if you're shorter, they may work fine for you).

My corporate rate is $288+ taxes per night. I frankly think this is overpriced by $88 -- if I was paying for this on my own dime, I'd be disappointed. I've stayed at the Fairmont in Newport Beach down in SoCal for less than this and the room and ambiance there is definitely four stars. This is 2.5-3 stars hotel at most. My advice: if you're here in the Valley for business and there's no other alternative and your employer is covering your costs, sure, give the Domain Hotel a go (you could do MUCH worse than this in the area). On the other hand, at this $ rate, I'd also recommend you check out the major chains (Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt) along Great American Parkway in Santa Clara if you get a corporate rate at these chains -- with corporate rates, they can charge less than this property and I personally think they are better suited to business travelers w/larger rooms. Again, the slick interior cannot cover up the faults with this property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We would like to thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. Nothing is more gratifying then receiving positive comments from our guest. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will only help us continue to improve. We understand that technology and internet services are very important to our guest and dedicated ourselves to being a leader. We also offer a number of different room types and try to keep our rates competitive with the market. Again thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The hotel staff is very accommodating and work diligently to ensure every guest has a memorable and pleasant experience. Recommend that you join the Joy of Life club to enhance your visit and enjoy the added benefits. The food is good, and the service is excellent. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the resturant area if you're not rising early.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our number one focus is always the guest!

Fax: 408-984-7120

Been to The Domain Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!