“Great hotel with excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chantilly, France
“Great hotel with excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Initially i planed to stay only 3 nights but thanks to a really good customer experience, including a competitive fair, i decided to stay 10 days and canceled my other reservation.
Only remark would be to offer a bit more choice for the breakfast.
I recommend this hotel without restriction. Good value for money and charming staff.
Fred

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our number one focus is always the guest!

Fax: 408-984-7120

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

A first stayed at the Domain a few years ago and this visit was much as I remembered. Possibly some elements of the decor were a bit faded [lobby carpets] but not badly. The only downsides were the rather thin service at the in-house cafe/restaurant and the rather thin walls in the rooms (I had some idiot next door playing their TV at "I'm stone deaf" volume) - the front desk intervened on my behalf but had no earplugs to lend.

On a group rate, so good value and in a good location for all Valley activities.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter one on the back or side - it's on El Camino Real which can be busy
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We would like to thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. Nothing is more gratifying then receiving positive comments from our guest. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will only help us continue to improve. We will be adding and updating many aspects of the hotel in 2013 and look forward to your future business. We are aware that you have many options when choosing where to stay while traveling and we thank you for continuing to choose us.

Tampa, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed just one night at this hotel but thoroughly enjoyed it. Bed was a little disappointing but the linens are nice, room is terrific, bathroom & TV good also. A little odd in that my room faced the courtyard and had several layers of curtains - not all of which I could control, but since I was primarily there for sleeping - not a problem!
They have a nice restaurant area and lobby and terrific business center which unfortunately I never got a chance to use.
Would return to this hotel in a heartbeat if I can get it at a reasonable rate. Good location also!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. Your survey and comments are greatly appreciated and will only help us continue to improve!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The room is good sized. You can hear the noises coming from the lobby, especially early morning from the breakfast area, because many rooms have their door facing the lobby.

The breakfast at $12.95 is way over priced. It's continental breakfast and no better than the breakfast offered at other hotels. You don't just choose your juice or coffee like everywhere else, you have to wait for the waitress to get a drink for you. For business travelers who are offered "free" breakfast, you pay the waitress tips. And the service at breakfast? Next to nonexistent.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. I would like to personally apologize your breakfast experience, this is not the level of service we look to provide at anytime. We are now adding more healthy breakfast options and monitoring our service. If there are specific items guest would like, we always appreciate feedback and recommendations . I’m aware that you have many options when choosing where to stay while traveling and we thank you for continuing to choose us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at any time and I will personally oversee your stay to ensure the up most satisfaction. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

After staying at both the Domain and the Wild Palms down the street, I can honestly say that the Domain is the better by far of the two Joie de Vivre hotels. I appreciated the underground parking garage and the proximity of this property to Mountain View and other Silicon Valley destinations (it is a drive, but maximum 10-15 minutes to Castro St.). Inside, the lobby looks sleek, and the room and bathroom looked modern and were clean. I had some problems with the TV (ESPN wasn't working correctly!). The bed was comfortable, the shower worked fine, and I had no problems with noise. The guy at the front desk who checked me in was courteous, so I have no complaints about the service. I would definitely stay at the Domain again if I could get the same deal I got by bidding on Priceline (USD 69 total, which is why I'm saying it was an excellent value), and I would probably pay up to 90. That's about the only problem I see after staying there--retail prices for this hotel are way up in the 200s-250s and it's definitely not worth _that_ much.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We would like to thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. Nothing is more gratifying then receiving positive comments from our guest. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will only help us continue to improve. We keep our prices competitve with offerings and the surrounding market. We are aware that you have many options when choosing where to stay while traveling and we thank you for continuing to choose us.

New England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a perfectly good hotel that I wouldn't mind staying at again, but I'll probably opt for somewhere else on future visits to the area.

The best thing was the staff attitude--very willing to do anything they can to help. I've described an example at the end.

The biggest reason I'd want to stay elsewhere in the future is that I don't find the location appealing. It's on a very wide congested street filled with downscale strip malls. I'm sure some the unassuming ethnic restaurants in the strip malls have wonderful food for bargain prices, and I'm sure some travelers will like having the national fast-food chains nearby, but it's not an
inviting streetscape for pedestrians. There's frequent bus service available, as well as the hotel shuttle, but the assumption is that you'll drive, and being from rural New England, I find driving around that area unpleasant and stressful. So I'll probably look for something near a commuter rail or light rail station in the future--there are options that have great access to those systems.

My review of the facilities is mixed. It seems that they took an old hotel or motel building and artfully renovated it going for a hipster modern look rather than the tasteless opulence look that seems to be prevalent at nice hotels. So far so good--I think it's great that they didn't waste money on fake crystal chandeliers, and I enjoyed some of the decorating touches. But it seems that the renovations were only skin deep. For example, the elevator made disturbing clunking noises on the way up my first time in it. The single-pane windows allow noise through and allow the outside rooms to cool off quickly if you don't run the heat--and I didn't want to run it because the heater was the loudest such unit that I think I've ever encountered. Fortunately, the climate is mild and the comforter warm, so sleeping with the heat off worked fine. The hot water in the shower in my room at a back corner sometimes mysteriously went away for a minute or so. And some areas of the bathroom, e.g. the outside of the tub, looked like they could benefit from a really good scrubbing.

The workspace in the room was good, but not ideal--as another traveler noted there is a very wide work surface running the length of the room, but it's not as deep as a standard desk, so you actually can't spread out as much as you can on a regular desk. And the lighting is not great--there are lights only at the ends of the room, leaving the middle of the worksurface in
the dark. The breakfast area was also dark--a strange choice for breakfast. I eventually figured out that some of the perimeter tables are better lit and I found it cheerier to sit at them for breakfast.

Another traveler described the rooms as eco-friendly. The toilets are new and water efficient, but I don't I think could call a rooms with single-pane windows, a noisy heater that is presumably ancient and inefficient, lit by incandescent lights, eco-friendly.

But to close on a better note, the staff were super-helpful, and I'm sure if I'd complained about any of the above they would have been willing to do something about it--they were very eager to help in all my interactions with them. For example, breakfast on Saturday starts at 7, but I needed to be on the road before 7 to catch a flight. The staff were not only willing to let
me start eating at 6:30 while they were setting up, but were friendly and helpful about it, and even apologetic that not everything was available. At many hotels such a request would be rejected or accommodated only reluctantly.

So if I do return, I'll look forward to the way I'll be treated as a guest.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. I would like to apologize for room issues, this is not the level of service we look to provide at anytime. We have since update our systems and believe to have the issues you mentinoned under control. We have also shared your positive comments about friendliness with our staff. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will only help us continue to improve. We are aware that you have many options when choosing where to stay while traveling and we thank you for continuing to choose us.

Evans, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Let me start by saying, I love the Domain!! I was impressed from the first moment I stepped into the door. The environment was very intimate and cozy. They had candles burning and soft lighting. It also had a "zen like" water fountain. I was greeted by the staff as soon as I walked in. They checked me in very quickly and efficiently. The staff was so kind and professional! I had only been in my room 5 to 10 minutes when I got a message from the staff inquiring if my room was up to my standards. Talk about impressive!

The room itself was awesome as well. It had blue walls and lots of soft lighting. The bed was furnished with many pillows from firm to feather pillows. It seemed to me that there was a pillow for each person's taste. It was so clean and welcoming! Oh, and it had a Sleep Number bed. It was a lot of fun playing with it, trying to find the number that worked for me. It was so comfy, and it was the first time in a long, long time that I woke up without a backache.

The bathroom had a bath/shower combo. "Lather" toiletries were also provided. They smelled really good, epecially the creme rinse! I was very impressed.

On the evening of my last day, I asked if they had a shuttle going to the airport. Unfortunately for me, it ran every day except Saturday! But, the girl at the front desk asked me if I wanted her to set up a cab ride for me. Wow! That was great! She told me that she would ring my room the next morning when my cab arrived.

I would like to say that if you are in the San Jose area please look into this hotel. It is my favorite of all, even topping the Crowne Plaza and Sheraton in Milpitas! I am so glad I tried this hotel!

Room Tip: You may want to ask for a room that faces outside versus inside. I had a room facing into the hotel...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012

Been to The Domain Hotel? Share your experiences!