“Looks great, but the details” 3 of 5 stars

The Domain Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1085 East El Camino Real, Sunnyvale, CA 94087   |
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
“Looks great, but the details”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

First, the hotel is very well maintained in clean. There were just a few minor details that made it a rating of 3 instead of 4. First, we booked a room for two adults and two kids. When we made it to our room, we had one King bed. They were out of rooms, so we were given a rollaway bed. So we ended up sleeping two adults and one child on the King and the other kid on the rollaway.

The bed is a sleep number bed, but we could not get ours to adjust. It didn't bother me as I prefer a firm mattress, but my wife was hoping for something a bit softer.

They did give us free breakfast for the mess up with our room.

I would give this a 3 and a half if I could. A good place to stay, just not great. Once again, let me state the place is very clean and spacious. So that is a big plus.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Todd M, Front Office Manager at The Domain Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
I would like to thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. I would like to personally apologize for your sleeping experience, this is not the level of service we look to provide at anytime, nor are these comments we are accustomed to hearing. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will only help us continue to improve our service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at any time and I will personally oversee your stay to ensure the up most satisfaction. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Todd Metzger
Front Office Director
Domain Hotel * A Joie De Vivre Hotel
1085 E El Camino Real, Sunnyvale CA
Tel: 408-247-0800
Fax: 408-984-7120

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Located at a good location with easy access to major business centers and restaurants. Very helpful staff, the rooms are fresh roomy and has plenty of light. Clean, spacious and neat baths. The breakfast is good and have a decent spread even for a vegetarian like me.

I have stayed at this place a couple of times and have enjoyed my stay every time.

The things they can improve
a) provide a better set of choices of TV channels.
b) provide better sound insulation between the rooms
c) Improve the pressure systems in the showers

Room Tip: Choose the room which is not facing the front.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
We would like to thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. Nothing is more gratifying then receiving positive comments from our guest. Your reccomendations are greatly appreciated and are taken very seriously.

We are aware that you have many options when choosing where to stay while traveling and we thank you for continuing to choose us.

Todd Metzger
Front Office Director
Domain Hotel * A Joie De Vivre Hotel
1085 E El Camino Real, Sunnyvale CA
Tel: 408-247-0800
Fax: 408-984-7120
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

I don't tend to write reviews, but it's been a long night and I'm waiting for my husband to wake up. We checked in here last night. First impression was great. It is clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful. We got to our room, and once again, very happy with what we saw. Then we started unpacking and settling in and the noise starts. It's kind of like our neighbors are IN our room. It's like that on both sides of us. At this moment, I can hear the guy in the next room snoring. Not to mention that when people walk by our room, it literally shakes the bed. Also, I was excited to try out the sleepnumber bed. I never got it right and was uncomfortable all night long. I should mention, we are on the second floor facing the back parking lot. It might not be like this in every room. If you are a sound sleeper or aren't bothered by loud rooms then stay here. It's a very nice place.

• Stayed July 2012
Atlanta,GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here three nights on a business trip to Sunnyvale and had hoped to be more impressed.

First, the pros:
1) I found the hotel and my room to be very spacious and very clean.
2) Any staff that I interacted with we're very nice and helpful.
3) My corporate rate included the breakfast buffet which was delicious.
4) While not the best street/exterior environment their overall location is great.

Cons:
1) the air conditioner in my room sounded as if there was a tractor trailer parked in it. Despite the warmer temps, I opted to leave it off otherwise it was impossible to sleep.
2) Shower was clean but the water pressure was aweful. I think I could take a more effective shower with my backyard sprinkler.
3) Hairdryer was weak and barely functional, definitely bring your own.
4) No vending machines on the floor which was inconvenient.

Overall, while clean, I just didn't find anything special at this hotel and would prefer a Marriott any day.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We booked this hotel about two months prior through Priceline, and by the reviews and pictures, were very excited about it. The location is right off the Expressway, so it was great. (About an hour from San Francisco though) However, when we arrived, it was mostly disappointment that we both felt.

To begin, the front desk service was great. We checked in about 4pm and there was no lines or waiting. The two gentlemen behind the counter were very nice and offered help to find train times, dining, and more. We quickly got our room keys and were given an option of a first floor room or second floor. We chose the second floor just because the first floor room would have been right next to the breakfast area.

When we got to our room, there was a used tray of old food sitting outside the door, which the maids had yet to clean up. This was already a huge turn off for us, and we were expecting the worst when the door was opened. However, the room was cleaned already, so we are not sure why the tray was left outside. The room was very large and was clean (although the sheets and pillow cases did have weird black marks on them). The water pressure/amount of warm water was a little disappointing though. Furthermore, as both of us have Iphones, we wished to both charge them at night. There were limited number of outlets to use near the bed.

We wanted to look up several things on the internet, and since this hotel claimed to have Wi-Fi, opened up our laptop. However, there was no Wi-Fi, as they claimed to be working on it when we were there. So we went downstairs to the business center expecting it to be free. Think again! They charge a fee per time ($5 per 20 min I think) to use the computers. Are they serious? This struck us very badly and makes me think they are just trying to nickel and dime the customers. The breakfast served at their cafe was $12.95 per person....needless to say we went to our own restaurants we found in the area for cheaper.

A big disappointment for us was that the underground garage parking had no security what so ever. There was no gate to open, no cameras, and nobody watching the cars. This hotel sits with a trailer park behind it, and although the area didn't look real rough, we had no idea if it was or not. Therefore, for all we knew, some guy could go walking in, break into our car and no one would ever know. They should have a gate that you open with your room key, or at least a guard at the entrance/exit.

Just a little other note. We were never informed of anything at check-in, but in the garage going to the elevators, we saw a notice posted on the wall. The notice stated that items used or inside the hotel have been proved to cause cancer and birth defects, and you can find further info at the front desk. We went to the front desk, and could not find it. Probably not a safe hotel to stay in for more than a few nights.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We had looked forward to this hotel, but it ended up being a disappointment on many fronts.

The hotel looks attractive, design is contemporary. Staff is OK, some are friendly. The guy we met at check-in was friendly. He gave us a complimentary upgrade from room facing the lobby, to room facing real day light. I cannot imagine facing the lobby floor and not getting real daylight in my room! Furthermore we got free breakfast. Normally it's $13,95, but they said it was in our package (we booked through Priceline!).

The room was not clean. The sheets (duvet cover) had smears on them. We requested clean sheets the next day, but didn't get them. Also the drinking glass in the bathroom wasn't clean the next they, they had just turned the glass we had upside down on the coaster.

They use feather pillows. I'm allergic to feathers and thus requested foam pillows. They checked with housekeeping (or another department) and called back that the feathers in their pillows are synthetic. I'd never heard of that. I felt a feather-like structure in the pillow and I'm not sure if they were really synthetic.

The hotel likes to present itself as eco-friendly. They have gone too far on the showerhead. We have a water-saving showerhead at home and are used to using less water, but the amount of water you get in this hotel is rediculously small.

There was a quote on the walls of our room: "For poetry there exists neither large countries nor small. Its domain is in the heart of all men." This quote is by Giorgos Seferis, but he isn't credited, his name is nowhere to be seen. Besides, I found it to be rather women-unfriendly.

The hotel claims to be technology-oriented. Wifi didn't work for a whole morning! We are in IT and expected wifi to be good and reliable in this hotel, but not so much. Printing in the business center isn't free, only printing of boarding passes is complimentary. Another gadget is the bed. It is an airbed. You choose how soft or hard you like it. The bed basically puts air into the matress to make it harder. We didn't like it much. I think it's better to invest in really good beds.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed at The Domain Hotel recently and found it surprisingly comfortable and attractive.
If you are looking for a "boutique hotel" in this area, the Domain Hotel is a much better choice than the Avante (where we also stayed on this visit) less than a mile away. The lobby is large, airy and inviting, and designed well with large comfortable couches and a lovely water feature that makes it quite inviting.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Domain Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!