“Very friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Very friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

A typical Residence Inn layout although these units have separate outside entrances. As a woman traveling with her daughter, this feature made me feel a little less safe a we were given a unit in the back of the property. The unit was clean and had all the amenities we needed. It was nice to have the space to relax in without feeling like we only had the bed on which to sit. The staff was very friendly on arrival, departure, and at the dinner. However, the dining area could have been cleaner and the food was just so-so, do we skipped the breakfast. I did notice this property is not managed or operated by Marriott, but by an independent company. Would have been good to know prior to the stay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tianna S, Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to become a better hotel. We work hard to deliver what you expect when staying at a Marriott Hotel. Thank you again and we hope to see you in the future.

Tianna Speth
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We didn't have any problem with the room. In fact it was super nice and clean. I love that place expect for the manager! She did not respect me and my visitor. She shouted my visitor to get out of the room. Here's what happened. I got two rooms for my family and friends cause its my birthday. We didn't know that we're not allowed to have more than 4 people in the room cause when we ask for reservation they didn't told us. And when my visitor are in the room the manager came there and shouted that everyone must go expect for the person who made the reservation. My point is she can talked to me in private. She doesn't need to embarrassed me in front of my family and visitors. And she doesn't have the right etiquette to be a manager. And one more thing she ask me to sign the waiver that we're not allowed to have more than 4 people in the room after she shouted my family and friends. I hope the corporate will do something about this.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thompson M, General Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Diana D.,

I apologize that your stay was not up to your satisfaction. We strive to meet all guests expectations and understand that we did not in your situation. We have strict policies that we abide by in order to ensure all our guest safety and security is not jeopardized or other guests are not disturbed during their stay as well. With the number of occupants for your room being at 4 and you had over 25 in it, that was the reason for our decision to ask you to leave. Now that is no excuse for the manner in which a manager spoke to you or made you feel and I appreciate your comments so it can be addressed so no other guests are affected as you were.

Thom Mosher
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I've stayed at the inn for almost two months now. I'm happy to say it's been very pleasant and the staff is very friendly and professional. The staff is eager to help with everything from ordering a pizza to providing a map to the local attractions. The rooms are nice and clean as well as tastefully furnished. The buffet breakfast as well as dinner makes it much easier to relax while you focus what really matters. Overall, I'm happy with living here.

Room Tip: Go for the second floor rooms. Otherwise, anything away from the highway.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thompson M, General Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. We work very hard to meet the expectations that many have come to expect from the Marriott family of hotels. I'm glad we had the opportunity to be your hotel of choice when you traveled to the Bay Area, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!!!

Thompsom Mosher
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Very impressed by the front desk person and the room was the best so far. Room was super clean, and equipped with high tech motion detecting light switches and even newer gen toilets ... very 'green' hotel. We prefer to stay at Residence Inns over the other types, and we've stayed at 'many' over the years. One thing we were disappointed about was the breakfast service. Don't know what it was like before 9:00, but we showed up 45 minutes before they closed. They were completely out of all the hot food except for some potatoes. The service woman took her sweet time bringing food ... one item at a time. It was painful to watch and wait .. I was hungry ;-/ She carried the hot food in a small colander too, which i found odd ! Even the hot sausages !! Each time she had only enough for about 5 - 7 people at the most. She was so slow about bringing out the food, by 10;00 she never got the eggs she promised when we first got there. Being celiac, there isn't much to eat at a carbofest ... another reason we usually like R.I. I think a guest should feel just as welcomed and cared for at 7:00am or 9:15am ... should not be a difference !! Like I said, overall a great place !!! I will definitely stay here again ... I will just show up to breakfast earlier ;-)

• Stayed July 2012
Thompson M, General Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. We work very hard to meet the expectations that many have come to expect from the Marriott family of hotels. Thank for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad we had the opportunity to be your hotel of choice when you traveled to the Bay Area. We look forward to seeing you againg in the future!!!

Thompson Mosher
Sacramento Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

October 2011. I had the opportunity to stay at the Residence Inn Sunnyvale I when business required us to be in the area. The hotel is located near 101 and Oakmead Parkway. I was a bit wary of staying at this property because it is older property and I did not know if the room was old and dated or new.

Check-in was fast and friendly.

My room was very comfortable and nicely decorated. The bed was ultra comfortable. Both feather and foam pillows were available. Lighting in the room was very good with lamps on both sides of the bed, on the desk, and a floor lamp. The work desk was about standard and the retro office-style chair functional and comfortable. My The room had a sofa and an arm chair.
Small kitchen as in most Residence Inns. The interior was the newer Residence Inn interiors.

The LCD flat screen TV was had a lot of cable channels as well as a wide selection of pay-per-view movies. I looked at some previews and costs per movie seemed to be between $12 and $15. High-speed Internet service had a charge of $9.95 per day. I used the broadband connection on my phone instead.

The bathroom was clean. Lighting was good, the towels were plentiful, and the shower worked well – immediate hot water with plenty of pressure. Bath amenities include shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and mouthwash.

The cleaning crew did a great job during my job.

The hotel public areas were clean and well-kept, and were busy due to guests and folks conducting business in the property. There is a very complete breakfast buffet and caters to some ethinic tastes. One of the best breakfast buffets that is complimentary. There are many restaurants within a 10 minutes of the property on El Camino Ave. I would highly recommend this property if you're looking for a resident style property.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
, General Manager at Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. We work very hard to meet the expectations that many have come to expect from the Marriott family of hotels. Thank for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad we had the opportunity to be your hotel of choice when you traveled to the Seattle area. We hope to see you next time you come to the area. We look forward to seeing you againg in the future!!!

S. Thompson Mosher
Lehi, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Overall the stay was OK. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was great but the room was dirty. The carpet was stained and looked well past time for replacement. The kitchen floor smelled like urine (the kitchen not bathroom floor, the bathroom was actually great) so I mopped it with one of the hand towels and the towel was gray after wiping down the small kitchen floor. I left a note for the housekeeping staff and they cleaned the floor the next day and the smell went away. The bed and the rest of the room was great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

If you are familiar with the Residence Inn brand, this place will not disappoint. Highly recommend this hotel for the business traveler. This is a great launchpad to San Jose and Palo Alto. Hotel has excellent wireless internet connectivity, an awesome breakfast (Breakfast served in second floor above lobby). Te staff is super attentive and will not disappoint.
Recommend for visitors with a car. Not close to any form of public transportation. Mcdonald's 5 blocks away. Coco's restaurant 4 blocks away. Easy access to 101 freeway.
Tips: Pool is really small. Not really a vacation hotel, more like a business traveler hotel. ASK for rooms towards the back of the main builidng complex. Those are quieter, with less traffic.
IF you found this review helpful, I would appreciate your vote.

Room Tip: Since hotel is close to 101,freeway, ask for rooms away from 101.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I? Share your experiences!