“Nice Place, Good Ambiance, Delicious Food, Worth the Try” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Californian, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: W. Evelyn Ave.
Transit: Cal Train
Description: Tarragon Restaurant is the place to gather and enjoy cocktails, beer, wine and HANDCRAFTED FOOD. We simply call it Sunny California Cuisine; "from farm to table" our food is the freshest, seasonal ingredients found right here locally in California supplied by our community of artisans, farmers and purveyors. The food is simple, yet very flavorful allowing the ingredients to take center stage featuring the real Mesquite Grill. However, for lunch, we have a creative traditional menu with many choices from our seasonal offerings in salads, pasta, superb sandwiches and entrees! The diverse and carefully selected 150+ wine list, as well as, 20+ wines by the glass is sure to provide the perfect complement to your meal by the bottle or by the glass. The ambiance of the restaurant, as well as, the banquet room, complements the cuisine and service with just the right combination of sophistication and old-world charm, whether it is the party of two or two hundred, you will be taken care of.
San Jose, California
“Nice Place, Good Ambiance, Delicious Food, Worth the Try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Good menu, Delicious food, and good ambiance. If you are looking for a bit of a upscale place to have dinner, that need to give Tarragon a try. Is a bit more classy then jean and T-Shirt type of place, although you can usually see all types of dress partaking in meals.

They also have an early bird special menu, although have never arrived early enough to try it, have been to tarragon's on several businesses occasions, and they have not disappointed myself or guests.

Good food at decent prices, the staff is friendly and attentive, and they also have a good appetizer menu.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Jose, California
“very tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nice service and good menu, with much variety. Especially the "early bird" specials. Even worthy of special occasions.

Memphis, Tennessee
“Can't Wait To Go Back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I was in the area on business and to catch up with my best friend over a good meal. Neither of us had been to this establishment, took a walk down Murphy Street with no plan or reservation...and what a great find this was!

The manager gave us a warm greeting and we opted for a bar table. The bartender came out from behind the bar (with a smile) to get us started with cocktails. A good beer and liquor selection at a nice-looking bar. At this point, I'm already impressed because they're spot on with one of my pet peeves...great glassware. The glasses (lowball, highball and wine) have great weight and design. Kudos.

They brought bread (not my thing, so no comment). We started our meal with the puff pastry baked brie with apricot compote. Nicely done. But the real deal was the filet mignon, wrapped in bacon and drizzled with a blue cheese sauce. Complimented with garlic mash potatoes and sautéed spinach. Oh, magnifique!

When I return to to Sunnyvale, I'll be back to Tarragon.

On a side note, I'm perplexed by Murphy Street (Sunnyvale) and Castro (Mountain View). On weekdays, it's like everyone goes out for the senior discount and they roll up the sidewalks at 10 PM. Very strange. I guess the techies need to get home to their Xbox and late night app development.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mountain View, California
“Early Bird”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Great dinners during the Early Bird time slot. I have been there several times and plan to return as often as possible. The service has always been lovely, and the food delicious...great atmosphere, and what can I say about the price for Early Birds? WOW, covers it. The salmon is fabulous (even with sauce on it!...I almost NEVER add sauce). Thank you.
Ruth Anderson

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fremont, California
“Lunch with a Friend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was our first visit and we were pleased with the Menu Offerings for our lunch. I ordered Salmon with a citrus/cilantro sauce which I asked the waiter to leave-off the cilantro because I am not a fan of it. It was real good. Cooked to my liking. My friend ordered the Lamb Chops. He ate them all and commented that they were also good with tgood accompanyments. Service was great from the Bar Tender as we sat in her section. We had been promptly greeted and sat. Prices are reasonable and they accept Passport Dining for lunch and dinners...Money savers. I tried to go back already, but they were not open on Sunday recenty. I'll try again with my wife this time.

• Visited January 2013