“Comfortable, solid choice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Mountain View, California
“Comfortable, solid choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

My husband and I were up in Sunnyvale to visit our son and stayed the weekend at this hotel. We asked for a room on the second floor and the clerk was happy to oblige. The air conditioning was loud, but it was white noise, so it helped us to sleep well. Windows open, which is nice too. Shower was hot, with good water pressure, important to us. Breakfast was very good. Eggs, bacon, breakfast potatoes, oatmeal, fruit, juice, coffee, and rolls one morning and then sausage and pancakes instead of the potatoes and bacon the next day. We sat outside on the patio adjoining the breakfast room. There was plenty of parking. We did not use the pool, but it looked very attractive and there were families that were enjoying it. We would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Sao Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

This hotel is not a big "wow", but everything is very clean, rooms are pretty confortable and it's a good location with plenty around (considering the region).

The towels and toiletries provided are quite nice. Breakfast (which is included) was honest, with decent fresh food.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms close to the lobby. People who I was staying with says it gets pretty loud.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Best value ever. AAA rates, free wi-fi, free FULL breakfast (more on that in a minute), free in-room fridge (and not just a tiny sliver of a pressure-sensitive mini-bar), in-room safe, iron & ironing board, alarm clock w/iPod hook-up, HBO & Showtime, and great shower products by Lather (they have shampoo AND conditioner + lotion, in biodegradable bottles). They have an adjustable massaging showerhead, and the room and bathroom are clean, with plenty of outlets and workspace. They also provide free use of computers & printers in the lobby for printing out boarding passes. The entire place is also gated, with the exception of the main entrance -- though some guests do temporarily prop the gate open with a rock -- so there is a sense of security. The breakfast is always well-stocked, all the way up until the end, and includes french toast, bacon, scrambled eggs, bagels & toast (you toast) w/cream cheese & jam, danishes, cold cereals & granola, yogurt, oatmeal, and fruit, plus orange juice and apple juice, soy milk, milk, coffee, and tea, and they recently added salsa, white rice, kimchee, miso soup, and nori -- undoubtedly in response to feedback. Comfortable beds, quiet location. I love this place; at this price, it's worth staying here instead of with my parents when I visit the area.

One potential negative is for people who have heavy luggage -- they have no elevators, so you'll have to ask for a room on the first floor. However, if you do, be prepared to deal with Harry Heavyfoot in the room above you. I always prefer to be on the second floor, for that reason.

The only problem I had was with the occasional inconsiderate jerks (and/or their rugrats) who would go parading past the door either conversing loudly or otherwise forgetting that there were other people around them, but the irritation did not last long and that's the fault of the other guests, not the hotel. The good thing is that the windows face out toward the parking lot (so you can check on your car), and not toward the hallway, so the hallway noise is comparable to a typical hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a second-floor room if you're OK with stairs, and if you're a non-smoker, ask for a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Washington, D.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

I stayed at Wild Palms for a business trip. The rooms were clean, and the toiletries that the hotel provided were quite nice (love that exfoliating soap!). The breakfast, included in the room rate, features fresh items, making the hotel a decent value in that regard. However, I found the gym to be utterly disappointing -- no free weights, no balance ball, no functioning treadmill during my stay, no real place to stretch, and only three pieces of cardio equipment. Unlike its sister hotels, there was no free evening happy hour. My room was on the first floor, and I had to keep my blinds closed at all times because it was easy for folks to look in the windows. And, I had to kill two relatively large and creepy spiders in my room and leave a note for the cleaning staff to provide me with more soap. In sum, not my top choice of hotels in the area, but not a complete dump either.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I found this hotel on this site and i looked at the virtual tour of the facilities and i loved the look of it and i read through the reviews and people gave some bad reviews but thought i would still give it a try. And i am so glad that i did!! i loved the room and the staff was so nice and helpful. had no complaints! i am looking forward to my next stay there when my friend comes out next week.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Comfortable, updated room, nice desk area, good amenities - fridge (micro would have been nice), workout center, breakfast, pool, spa. Only fault would be we were on the road side so we needed to keep the air conditioner running overnight rather than open the windows - fan was loud with just one setting. Weekend price was great, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

I booked a room at this hotel and I was told I could pay cash at check in, being I am a student and plan my budget accordingly this way. I called several times to clarify my status and cash pay at check in.
I arrived at the front desk and the lady was talking non stop on the phone about her personal problems. I then introduced myself and she barely made eye contact and said " we take no cash at check in". I had a HUGE wedding to go too, and told her that I had made plans via phone-about using cash and had the cash with me in hand to pay. She again said no, and said " Sorry, you made a mistake."- I was horrified, and pretty much scared being it was 10.00 pm ( drove from Oregon) and had no idea where else to sleep that night!!! I called mind you six times to make sure cash was OK!!! I then asked if a friend could call in her credit card number and just charge her card, she said " no way, we don't know you from jack!" - I am still mad, and this was about a week ago. HORRIBLE. I ended up driving two more hours to the location of the wedding, and family house. HORRIBLE SCARY SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!! AVOID!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
jhconde, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Dear Vegasbound45963 ~ Please accept my apologies that this was your experience at the hotel. This is most certainly an unusual incident and I would very much like to find out more information about your experience and help bring you some resolution for this frustration, though I don't have quite enough information to contact you directly. Would you please contact me at the hotel so that we can discuss this and I can assist you in finding a resoltuion ?

Julie Conde
Wild Palms Hotel
408-328-6501

Been to Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!