“Classic fondue needs better bread” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Evelyn
Transit: Caltrain Sunnyvale station
Description: Located on Historic Murphy Ave. in downtown Sunnyvale, Rok, Stone-Age Fondue & Steakhouse is a truly unique dining experience. Our signature specialty is called Hot Rok. Premium entrees are delivered to your table seared and sizzling on hot volcanic Roks. Diners bask in the aroma as their entrees cook right before their eyes. Every bite is hot, juicy, and delicious, ready to be enjoyed as is or dipped in a variety of our specially-created dipping sauces. We also offer the best part of fondue...cheese appetizer fondues and chocolate dessert fondues. If you combine Hot Rok with fondue in a pot (we call it the Rok n Pot) we guarantee a wonderful evening of dining enjoyment. Our full bar features fruit-infused vodkas and a wine list that offers many varietals by the glass. If coming just for the Rok, you can be in and out in an hour. If enjoying the Rok n Pot, you should plan on approx. 2 hours. Please join us for the ultimate evening of dining enlightenment.
Palo Alto, California, United States
“Classic fondue needs better bread”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

New and unique dining experience. Groupon coupon helped keep down the cost.

Service was very good for us newbies cooking on rocks. Our only complaint was that the quality of the bread served with the classic swiss fondue had a texture more similar to wonder bread than the crusty cubes a good fondue deserves. I continue to search for a really excellent fondue.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

SUNNYVALE
“Good but too expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The quality of the food is good, but quantities are not big. The children menu offers chicken tenders, exactly 2 pieces. Served with mushroom risotto (great for adults, but maybe not so much for a five year old) or mashed potatoes.
The sides could be definitely larger.
Service was average to good.
On WE you should really call ahead, because this place gets very crowded.
So all in all a fun experience, especially for kids.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oregon
“Accommodating Owner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was in Sunnyvale for my birthday and was looking for a restaurant with gluten-free options and found the ROK bistro. Parking in the area is a nightmare and took us nearly 30 minutes to find a spot. We did not call ahead and when we went to the restaurant they told us they were full. I saw the stones they let you grill meat on and I really wanted to eat there. The person who told me they were full pointed me towards the owner and said I could ask him. There was a table they had setup for a large group that was coming in one hour and so he said we could eat there as long we were done within an hour.

I had an avocado salad. That was a disappointment as there was barley any avocado on it. For my entree, I had the filet mignon and it was very tender and flavorful. I also enjoyed cutting it into strips and cooking to my liking on the ROK.

All-in, I think we spent about $80 for two or us. For a special occasion I would certainly eat here again, but this time make a reservation so that I don't have to watch the clock while eating.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Yucaipa, California, United States
“Rok Resturaunt”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

WOW! What a great dinning experience for anybody. It's a bit expensive however it matches with experience.

Visited January 2013
Mountain View, CA
“Great gimmick, poor quality meats and even poorer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My last review of this place was in January, 2009. I've returned on several occasions, and recent disappointments in service and quality prompted me to update my comments.

First, the good: Back when they started, the fondues (both cheese and chocolate) suffered from graininess and lack of flavor. I'm happy to report that this has been dramatically improved, and now compares favorably to at least Melting Pot (fondue franchise) on the stuff in the pot. Go-withs still seem a bit meager and could stand improvement.

They've also knocked the kinks out of the rock itself, and the protein portions. I haven't had a problem with the rock staying hot enough to cook all of the meat since I wrote my first review. Perhaps I've merely become more proficient with the process. Salads have been consistently good, so perhaps produce vendors have improved as well.

Unfortunately, meat quality itself has failed to consistently impress. The Wild Game options are invariably frozen - ok, I wasn't expecting you could get fresh Kangaroo in California, but surely there are other wild options that you COULD get fresh? I've also tried several different cuts of beef, and they all seem sub-par and really lacking in flavor.

But what really gets me is the service. The gimmick alone would be sufficient to mask merely average quality food, if the restaurant also featured outstanding service. They don't. The staff seem indifferent at best, and inconvenienced by presence of customers at worst. One on visit, my son and I ventured out on a cold, rainy night an hour before closing. Upon arrival, we were told that they had decided to shut down the kitchen because business had been slow (really? So you're ensuring low returns by guaranteeing no more sales??). Other times we've been forced onto the patio or denied a booth even when such were available. Most recently, a customer walked in while we were dining. It was at least TWO hours before closing, and he was told that they weren't able to serve cheese fondue or salads, but that he could order and entrée or chocolate. I can only assume some over-eager kitchen staff had put away the vegetables and/or the prep cooks were sent home too soon. These issues all speak to a nonchalance that defies business logic.

I love playing with my food. But I think I'll try to find new games in town from now on.

• Visited November 2012