“Quaint Hideaway” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Summerland B&B and Inns
Newport Beach
“Quaint Hideaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

The Summerland Inn has been the recipient of much 'bad press' in recent reviews, however as a frequent guest of the last (5) years, I am happy to report that the Inn does have its redeeming qualities. First of all, if you don't like crowds that come w/ typical Inns even smaller ones, you would appreciate the intimate atmosphere of this 7-room quaint property. The house is very Victorian-period as are the furnishings - in keeping with the feeling of the town itself. There was a (former) issue w/ the lax cleaning schedule of Mngmnt. and I brought it to the new Owner's attention, more than once. As of my most recent visit this December, the Owner herself now cleans the carpeting w/ a 'water-extraction' method in each and every room. Better results than vacuuming, and it is apparent. Also, prevailing 'rumors' that this Inn is visited by guests from the 'other side' (haunted) is completely FALSE. I am a practicing Psychic myself, and have never once, detected any paranormal activity anywheres around the property. According to city lore, there was a former restaurant in town which was said to be haunted.......a historical landmark, now closed for business. For the value @ 69.00-79.00 per room, and the hide-away like benefits of this little Inn I see no room for lingering criticisms. Some people are never pleased w/ anything and cannot appreciate charm or the peaceful country-setting, which surround this property. Room numbers 4, 6 and 7 all have cozy fireplaces and are wonderful for de-stressing or, a romantic weekend retreat. When you step inside the Summerland Inn you don't feel like a guest in a Hotel, but rather, a traveler stopping into someones home for a night or two. There is no morning- offering other than coffee as per new Owners however, there is the fantastic Summerland Cafe right down the road for fantastic, hearty breakfasts!! All in all, a restful and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
El Segundo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

From the moment we walked in the front door, we were freaked out. Old, musty smell. Old furniture. We had room number 7. The linen was stained, bathroom floor had long black hair (we are both blond) and the bed felt like a board. The only reason we stayed here was there were no other rooms available anywhere else. Luckily, it was only for one night. We read stories on the internet that the town was haunted and after the experiences (won't go into detail here) we had, we believe it! Creepy little town. Dirty little Inn. Won't be back. STAY AWAY!!! - does "redrum" remind you of anything.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
OKLAHOMA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

After finding out all the hotels in Santa Barbara area were booked due to graduation night, we saw a sign that said lodging in Summerland. So we followed the sign and came to Summer land Inn. From the outside appearance looks like a quaint small hotel. BUT LOOKS ARE DECEIVING!!! My husband went into the lobby, which was locked at 7.00 in evening. Owner finally came to the door. We were quoted a price of $129.00 for 2 double beds. The owner never mentioned anything about breakfast. The beds did not match, the decor looked like they had purchased at garage sales. The comforters and blankets had stains on them. The sheets appeared clean, however the beds were very uncomfortable. The carpets were dirty, the room had a musty smell, no ice bucket for ice, which I'm sure they didn't have. The bathrooms were dirty, a couple of thin towels were provided, old bottle of shampoo. The bathtub was held up with duct tape, old bar of soap with pubic hair on it in tub area. Needless to say very uncomfortable and could not wait to get out of there. I would have felt more comfortable sleeping in our car.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Filthy Rundown Hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
nuneaton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

I am really surprised that the reviews on Summerland Inn are so bad. We arrived quite late and were very relieved to find a very cheap room for myself,my husband and my son. The lady was friendly and the room was fine. It wasn't five star but then again it wasn't a five star price. Coffee was available on request and the beds were very comfortable. We liked the homely atmosphere and our stay was further enhanced by the discovery of the Summerland Beach Cafe which offered a lovely breakfast at a very reasonable price. The Inn is not pretentious or overpriced but it was comfortable and I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Liked — Situation
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

We stayed here one night. We did not have reservations and found this place through our GPS. We called and she gave the rate of $115 for a room with 2 double beds. We did not reserve and decided to do a drive by. It looked like a very quaint B&B with all of the crank windows open. We were all tired and wanted to sleep so we decided to stay.

Our room number was #1. Upon entering the room we were overcome by a musty smell. The room was very dark and crowded. They put 2 queen sized beds in this room which was way to small. The bedspreads were old and the pillows were horrible. They sewed two flat pillows together to make one hard pillow and all of the pillows for everyone were like this. The TV was on the side of one of the beds on a table. The carpet didn't seem too old but it was dirty and hadn't been vaccuumed in a while. There was a refrigerator in the room but it was dirty inside.

The bathroom was filthy. I am the type of person who does not like to wear shoes when I am getting comfortable and I could feel the dirt on the carpet and on the rug in the bathroom. The floor in the bathroom looked liked it is never mopped. I was totally grossed out and couldn't wait to leave. The sheets did appear to be clean but it was obvious that the owners do not clean at all.

We tried to close the window because it was very chilly at night but the crank didn't work. I went to the office and the doors were locked. I had to ring the bell to get the owner. I explained the problem and she gave me 2 screw drivers. My husband had to fix the crank handle so we could close the window.

We did not have a pleasant stay and would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pearblossom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

This was my first experience at a bed and breakfast. In that I'd only heard positive reports of B&Bs, the website depiction of the rooms appeared quite charming and the fact that the Inn had the only available rooms in all of the Santa Barbara area on the dates needed, I made the reservations despite the fact that the price was more than I've ever paid anywhere for any accommodation!
At check-in the charge exceeded that which had been quoted when I reserved the rooms by phone, but I had no choice then. Carrying the baggage up 15 or so stairs was a little scary for a 70 year old. The lighting in the room with all working lights turned on can only be described as "dim." I can't even estimate how old the deep dust was that covered virtually everything in the room. The refrigerator had old food in it. The blankets, comforter and top pillows were not inviting. The remote control for the TV was all but useless. The bathroom worked, but that's all. Hwy 101 traffic hummed along outside, probably 200 or so feet from the Inn. The [apparent] owners were sullen of attitude and uncommunicative. "Breakfast" consisted of small coffee cups of coffee and a slice of dry coffeecake from the reception area.
All in all, the experience was not my idea of an even mildly pleasant 2 room, 2-night stay, particularly at $115 and $160 per room, per night charges [total: $550].

• Liked — Its possibliities, ie., location, charm, warmth, comfort and cleanliness.
  • Disliked — The possibilities were utterly and completely unfulfilled.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Palmdale, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

We selected two rooms for two nights and made advance reservations. Upon arrival, the owner operator had given one of our rooms away to another patrom. We felt this was "bait and switch". The entry way was very dusty and felt "shop worn". Our rooms were the same way. The mini blinds had coats of dust on them. There is no central air conditioning and the rooms are hot. The once beautiful rooms did not look the same as in the photos on the web site. Some cheap teak copies of antiques have been substiuted. The small refrigerators and mircro waves are old. One had old food in it. One dresser had clothing and old shoes left in it from other quests that had left them behind. No full breakfast was provided. Not like on the photo on the web site - no waffle with fruit and whip cream, juice and coffee in a pretty china cup. No dinning room. A pot of coffee and one plate of sliced coffee cake was placed out at 8 a.m. in the entry way. No customer service or help. The operator did not speak English well and was difficult to communicate with. Too expensive and overpriced! Shame on the new owners!

• Liked — location to santa barbara
  • Disliked — dirty, over priced, no service, no breakfast, no ice machines, no coffee provided in rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Summerland Inn? Share your experiences!