“Ideal place for a short stay” 3 of 5 stars

Maldron Hotel Wexford
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ballindinas | Barntown, Ballindinas, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballindinas
Stroke City NI
“Ideal place for a short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I recently stayed at the Maldron [Wexford] over the New Year's weekend. It was a last-minute booking and we still got a competitive room rate.
The staff are very pleasant and competent, from check in to check out. The housekeeping was excellent and the rooms well-insulated from most noise (the drunks in the garden at 01.00 were a bit inconsiderate till the night manager shut the bar). I note earlier comments on children seeming to run wild on the halls at night - which I also experienced - and share that reviewer's concerns over the seeming lack of parental oversight (I suspect there's a link to the 01.00 revelry).
We did not dine there at night, but got a hearty breakfast buffet in the mornings. All-in-all a pleasant experience.
I would observe that the hotel is not a destination place in itself - rather a base for touring, business or stopping off prior to the Rosslare ferry - with comfortable, clean rooms and a quiet night's sleep. I have no qualms in recommending the Maldron and would stay again when in the southeast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We decided to book a family friendly hotel with kids club and nice play area for the little ones. When i looked at the website i could see from the photos a lovely toddler play area and kids club(during holiday time). So we thought that would be perfect as my girls are 2 and 8 year old. When we arrived , we were greeted by very grumpy receptionist...It made me feel"sorry that we booked the room:)". I asked about the kids club if i could book my 8 year old in.The answer was they dont have any kids booked, so no kids club. Thhen i asked to show us where is a soft play area and she said that there is non. So it means the photos on web are from chreche which doesn`t exist anymore.
The room was very specious and warm.We couldn`t sleep all night as the pillows were extremely hard. In the morning i had neck pains....
The only gem of this hotel is staff in a bar and of course lovely dinners. The staff at the bar worked so har to accommodate every guest and to answer all questions what reception wasn`t able to do. They were very polite.
The location was very good.This is one of these hotels where i wouldn`t go back for a second time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tullamore, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My general impression of the Maldron was quite lovely. The staff were extremely pleasant both over the phone prior to our arrival and also when we arrived. I booked it online but there was no option that I had seen for a balcony room nor was it stated on it that this was a requirement to be selected if wanted. So i called them and they were kind enough to give us the balcony complimentary, Unfortunately this meant that she actually booked another room under our names instead of simply cancelling the first booking. This really made no difference however as they corrected the mistake immediately.
My first disappointment with the hotel was how early the the health centre closed and how late it opened in the morning. It closes at seven and opens again at 9am. I have stayed in a few hotels before particularly in areas similar to this and they would have stayed open until 10pm and open at 7am for the early risers. This, coupled with the fact that breakfast finished at 10am and checkout was at twelve and we were there for work related reasons, we did not get a chance to go anywhere near the health centre for which we had booked the hotel in the first place.
Breakfast was self serving, which was a huge disappointment as when we arrived for our breakfast at nine the fried eggs had gone to a rubbery texture under the heat lamps and just really put us off. The woman who was in charge of the breakfast area was ok but just simply took our rooom number and our breakfast cards and told us to help ourselves. I could have got better service from a B&B really.
our night before that had been quite disturbed by the fact that there were some children running around playing lift tag. We didnt mind this at all in the earlier part of the evening as kids will be kids and there really wasnt much for them to do unless they walked around the back of the hotel unsupervised in the dark for the playground which was unlit. But after ten o'clock it started to get annoying, and at one point they nearly knocked us over. Now I am not saying that this is exclusively the hotels fault obviously the parents had no concept of authority, but what I am saying is that the hotel did have some culpability as this could have been a serious hazard god forbid. We ended up after an hour of hearing thumping running footsteps and screams down the hall to call the reception and demand that they stop them.

The facilities in the room itself was quite nice. One particular thing that scared us was the fact that the floorboards on the balcony were loose and we could feel them moving under our feet. needless to say we did not stay out there for very long. Overall I wouldnt think that we would return to stay in the hotel. Its the niggly little things that get your attention the most and while the general sense of the hotel was good there were just too many niggly bits that will stick with me.

I'm not one to give bad reviews lightly but in this case i feel I have to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
csharkey, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Wexford, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Ms Flynn,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay in the Maldron Hotel. I greatly appreciate all the feed back I get from our guests as I believe it helps us become better at what we do. I will be raising all points with my team here at the hotel and I know they will work hard to ensure that we are consistently providing all our guests with the standard of hospitality that they deserve. Thank you for raising these concerns and I expect that the next time you visit you will encounter a much improved offering.

Regards

Catherina Sharkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed there last week for 1 night and there was a party on the same night and we had some drinks and when bar closed even though we were staying there we were made wait 2 hours in residents bar to get served again and after 2 hours of waiting when we asked staff about getting another drink he got very ignorant with us and told us to either go to bed or shut up and go sit down

• Stayed December 2012
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I can understand the mixed reviews for this hotel. We stayed here with our 3 children, 9, 7, and 4. We stayed 2 nights and both nights were completely different the Friday night would never return to this hotel and the Saturday night I've recommended this hotel to my friends. Friday night - Refering to the previous trip advisor tips I had asked to be in a room where I would not hear music from the bar, unfortunately the room was really a double room a triple at a push, but 5 of us were squashed into this room, is was too hot, beds uncomfortable, opened window when at 11pm the music started it was a nightmare kids couldnt get to sleep. I rang reception they got the music turned down apologised for mix up regarding room and said the would move us the next morning. The next morning we were in a huge room, 2 double beds and a single with room for another campbed or/and travel cot it was fantasic, it's hard to get decent hotel rooms when you have more than 2 children, so much more comfortable. Dinner and breakfast were lovely, Kids enjoyed the pool, we had a great time. I put average rating because of the Friday night, it would have been alot worse only every staff member we came across were helpful, friendly and made our weekend. Thank you

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

i was catching the ferrie to england at am the following morning, so i decided to stay at this hotel as it was near to the ferrie port instead of havng to drive at stupid o clock in the early am. checked in about 8pm and was happy with the room, warm and everything that one needed for a good nights sleep, went to the bar and ordered some dinner of which was very tasty and generous. bar staff were helpful and professional. all in all , the price was right and the hotel did the job, only thing was that there was live music advertised in the bar and when i left it at 10pm , there was still no sign of them, but hey, just as well as i needed to go to bed anyway. checkout was quick and hassle free.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed for a weekend in November 2012.

An updated TomTom satnav couldn't find Ballindinas or Barntown but luckily we'd printed out directions.

We had booked and paid in advance for a large family room. This is supposed to include a double bed and two proper single beds - we got a double, a single and a converted couch-bed. TV wasn't working (loose connection) and later we found one of the bedside lamps also not working. It was late enough when we'd checked in so we wanted to head out straight away rather than have the hassle of changing rooms.

Staff were friendly and helpful recommending restaurants and booking a taxi for us.

Went into the small bar when we arrived back. Beers: generic Diageo stuff, plus Hoegaarden. No actual Irish craft beer (though that seems a problem in Wexford in general). Reasonable selection of Irish whiskeys but nothing unusual.

Adequate breakfast, though it's completely self-service, meaning your tea and coffee come from a machine. Checking out, we mentioned the couch-bed instead of a single bed and were told we should have mentioned it straight away and they would have moved us, so there was nothing they could do now. Really, I'd prefer to just get what we'd paid for? Said to leave it, we'd just put it into a TripAdvisor review, which got a shrug.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballindinas
Whites of Wexford
Riverbank House Hotel
#1 of 6 in Wexford
4.5 of 5 stars 281 reviews
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Maldron Hotel Wexford? Share your experiences!