“Steak the way it should be” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 456 restaurants in Stockton
Cuisines: Armenian
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
“Steak the way it should be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Why did I never know about this place before? I get to Stockton every couple of years but did not discover this until last year. This family-run place does not advertise; they don't need to. Steak is what they do and do it exceptionally well. If you cavil at the prices, be aware that the meal comes with about every side dish imaginable included in the price. This is in stark contrast to more famous steak places such as Ruth's Chris, whose ambience may be snootier but the meat is no better; the prices may look similar (though less at El Rancho) at first glance but at RC, you have to pay extra (when was the last time you paid $10 for French fries?!) for everything. And the portions are so huge that actually you can plan on eating this twice if you take your leftovers home. So... be prepared to splash out a bit in a good cause, because El Rancho delvers what it promises: one of the biggest and best steaks you will ever eat in your life, served in a friendly family atmosphere.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

100% Recommend
Houston, Texas, United States
“Best Steaks in Stockton, Ca.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have been going to El Rancho for lunch and dinner for approx. 2 months now. The place is packed for Lunch and the same for dinner. I am from Houston, Tx and have been to many top rated steak houses. this restaurant ranks with any in Houston. Ray and his cooks (staff) know how to cook a steak the way you want it!! The ribeyes and strips are at least 2" thick and seasoned perfectly. Try the steak and lobster while you are at it..Sit at the Bar for lunch, watch the locals play dice and shout, and eat a lunch. Jessica is the beautiful Day bartender and she will take care of you, but all of Ray's Staff are beautiful ladies..You will love this place!! One of a kind. Regarding price.....I believe you get what you pay for..I have no problem with his prices...Doug

• Visited June 2013
Kannapolis, North Carolina
“Before you go.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Please know up front, I did not eat here. I am simply trying to make sure that you know this place is pricey. We walked in and had to leave after realizing we would excede our company expense budget unless we got the very cheapest thing (beef strips). According to other reviews, it is a great place. I was dissapointed not to get to eat here. Just be prepared that a Ribeye steak will be $35.95.

I rated El Rancho very good because I did not want to drag down the average with a bad rating. I would also like to say that the steak chef at the grill (that's who you see when you first walk in) was very nice and understanding.

Visited January 2013
Stockon
“Awesome Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I love going to El Rancho, we have been eating there for years. Ray and his staff are wonderful, always make you feel right at home. This is the best place in Stockton for steak and Lobster.

• Visited December 2012
California
“Best Steakhouse in Stockton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

If anyone knows me I'm more of a light eater but when I'm here I finish everything!!! This place has the best steak and prawns or steak and lobster in town. Location wise it's a little hard to find but like they say the tougher the better!!!! I love that you pick your cut and how you want it cook at the station (open fire grill pit). Then you will be seated when your drinks and your bread, veggie snacks, salad will be served. Then comes dinner which includes a bake potato( topping are on the side and you can load your potato ad much as you want) and onion rings. I think Jay Leon has been here too. Also Ray(owner) is a great hostess. He is really friendly and greets all his guest when he is there whether to oversee his establishment or cooking the steaks.