“The hotel is exceptional for a BW....” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Stockton
California
“The hotel is exceptional for a BW....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The hotel is exceptional for a Best Western. However, the area that it's located in leaves something to be desired. They do have around the clock roaving foot patrol on site so that was some consolation.

The hotel, all of it's ammenities and the room are very nice for a Best Western. For breakfast, it's a nice restaurant and you order off of the menu. And while the front desk staff were very pleasant, the restaurant waiter left something to be desired.

The room had the desired ammenities (microwave, refer, etc.) and a small balcony that overlooked the pool. I understand that it was a Holiday Inn at one time. Under new ownership as of 2010 and it looks like they're really doing a lot of upgrades.

Room Tip: Top floor away from any noise (elevators, ice or soda machines, etc.)....always!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Corona, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here as a half way stop to our destination in Redding. We had two rooms because there were two couples staying here. First off, the smell is really strong. The carpet is so old and out dated that it just has this horrible mildew odor from years of carpet cleaning. We checked in so late that I didn't want to have to go searching for another room in Stockton so we just bared it til morning.

In the morning the carpet cleaners decided to come at 7am and leave the backdoor open (which was tied so no one could close it) and freeze the entire first floor out. It was so cold and they would not shut the door, I'm guessing because of the nasty odor mentioned above.

After our rude awakening I went on a search for some coffee in the Lobby and they were out of creamer. I asked the manager at the front desk who told me that I need to go find some in the restaurant. After waiting in the restaurant confused, in my robe for 5 minutes with no help, I just left and went back to our room.

Honestly, between the smell and lack of friendly service, I would never stay here again. In fact, I would never stay at Best Western again merely for the fact that Holiday Inn Express is much more updated and takes way better care of you.

We were very disappointed and for the price, we felt robbed when left. Not the way you want to start a vacation. Do yourself a favor, look up the Holiday Inn Express, don't stay here.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn Express. You are not going to get good value for your money. The breakfast is...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We are a retired couple who book at several different hotels between BC and California each year. We have always asked for a quiet room location and each hotel has tried to honour that request by looking at the standard rooms that are unfilled at the time of our arrival.

But not the Best Western Heritage Inn in Stockton. We phoned this hotel after winning a Priceline bid for $50 plus fees and taxes and requested a quiet room, away from elevators and stairwells. The telephone clerk assured us that the request was on our file and should not present any problems. We arrived at the hotel fairly early at 4:45, and the registration clerk said she would try to find a room matching our request. However, she had difficulty and asked another clerk to help. Then we were told that a group of rooms were set aside each evening for Priceline customers and that, as of 4:45, ALL were located beside exit stairwells or elevator shafts. We were offered an upgrade to a more desirable standard room for $10 extra, which we declined, because we had already paid for a standard room through our Priceline booking. We were then assigned room 336 which was beside an elevator shaft, and told that because it was on the third floor it "should be fairly quiet". After spending only one hour in the room we found that peace and quiet was not the issue here. Rather, the whole floor was vibrating; there were obviously some heavy duty motors underneath or beside us. Getting any sleep was extremely difficult because the bed also was vibrating.

We have used Priceline to bid on hotels up and down the West Coast for several years and have never had a hotel discriminate against guests who have booked through Priceline. Our recommendation is, that if you use Priceline, you bid on hotels in neighbouring communities, but not in Stockton proper. The reason is this: the Best Western Heritage Inn is the highest rated hotel and the only 3 star hotel listed by Priceline. The hotel offers cheaper rates because it is 2 miles from Interstate 5 and has to compete with lots of good hotels in between. If you bid on 2 1/2 star properties, Priceline can also include the 3 star Best Western, so your chances of getting that hotel on a low bid are still quite good. Avoid it at all costs!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Svang, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
HI and thank you for your recent response. On behalf of the hotel, I apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I understand your frustration. Please know that we do not discriminate on how and where your reservation are made. We treat all our guest with the same graditude regardless of how their reservations are made. Unfortunately there are policies and procedures we have to abide by from Priceline. When a bid takes place and you are awarded a room, priceline it does not guarantee your requested room type. At the hotel we always try our hardest to make sure that all requests are met. Unfortunately, not every room can be away from and exit or elevator. Perhaps we were busy that night and could not accommodate your special request. Either way, I would love the opportunity to speak to you about your experience. Please call or email me at svang@heritagehotelgroup.com so we can further discuss this incident. I Thank you again for your response.
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights in February while visiting family in Stockton. The room itself was clean and had acceptable amenities including a mini-refrigerator and microwave. The carpet in the room is old and nasty and needs updating badly. I didn't want to go barefoot in the room. I would have given a higher rating if not for the noise. You can hear everything in rooms next door making it difficult to sleep at night. Also, doors being slammed closed in adjacent rooms are so loud that it sounds like it's your own door. That goes on all night and kept me awake. On two of the afternoons a maintenance worker fired up a loud pressure washer right outside my sliding glass door and had it running for hours. I complained about the noise to the front desk but they didn't do anything about it.

The pool and spa were out of order the entire stay, which they don't communicate when you make a reservation. I will stay at Courtyard in Stockton from now on. It's in a nice area and much quieter experience.

One other issue about this hotel is the lack of parking on the property. The hotel is adjacent to a discount grocery store open 24 hours. If you get back to your room after 8 p.m. count on having to park in the grocery store parking lot which isn't ideal since the neighborhood is surrounded by the "projects".

Room Tip: rooms at Courtyard or Hilton are better
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Svang, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your recent response regarding your stay. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for not meeting your expectations. Noise and traffic is always a concern for me considering we are located in the middle of town. Maintaining the property and keeping it clean is definitely on the top of my priority list. We try really hard work with our guest's schedules by selecting the best time of day to do our outdoor cleaning. Mid day has seem to work for us. If you have suggestions on what times would be best during the day, maybe we can implement that into our cleaning schedule. We're always open to new ideas.
The pool and spa are currently our of service due to an ADA requirement. We want to ensure all guest safety are not jepardized and must install pool lifts before we can operate it again. Unfortunately these lifts are back ordered due to the massive demand and requirements for California hotels to install them. We are frustrated with this waiting period because we know how much you all enjoy our pool and spa.
Again I would like to thank you for communicating your concerns with us. I would love the opportunity to speak with you regarding your experience. Please feel free to call me.
Hermiston, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Good Best Western , nice clean room with no major problems - But breakfast was staffed by one poor waiter serving around 20 people , had your choice of bacon or bacon for the meat of the week - Maybe management needs to quit bean counting and run the hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn? Share your experiences!