“Pretty basic BW” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Stockton
Santa Cruz, California
“Pretty basic BW”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I was a late night arrival and found the property easily.

There was ample parking and the parking areas were nicely lighted. The proberty was locked up tightly and I needed my room key to get in and out of everything.
I departed pretty early in the AM and was pleased ther was coffee in the lobby but after consuming most of my cup, I starting sucking up coffee grounds.

The property was nice overall.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The catalytic converter was stolen off of my car the night that I stayed there. Not only has the hotel not offered to refund the cost of the room, but corporate BW said there was absolutely nothing they could do about it. Not even a free night's stay at another hotel. I will not be staying at this, or any other BW ever again in my life.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Stockton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

i was pleased to stay at this hotel. Friendly staff and the rooms were very clean. The only downside I had to my stay was when i went in for breakfast. It took a while to be attended to. Once the young man took my order i seen people be serve their food and i waited and waited and nothing was being brought to me. I saw the guy that was attending me talking and joking with people and being on his phone, all while i was waiting. He stepped out of the restuarant and i saw him through the window that he went out to his car. When he came back he was talking about how he did not have cigarettes and he went and gave someone money to buy him some, still i was patiently waiting for my cereal. He stepped out once more and another employee noticed that i was waiting for a while and he got things done. The waiter came back and did not even acknowledge me. Not once did he refill my drink or ask me if i needed something. I cannot believe they employ people like this. He was a young asian guy hopefully something gets done!! 11 25 12 At 7am

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

If your looking for a hotel in Stockton it will present a problem finding clean accomodations in
a safe location. It's probably better to stay in Lodi which is just a few miles away rather than
Stockton. If you must stay in Stockton, this hotel is OK for the money. It's rather dark and dingy
inside, and appears it needs new carpets and paint. The inside of the rooms are clean, and
comfortable. Ask for a room that is away from traffic - building A is good because you can get an inside room facing the pool.

I arrived back at the hotel in the evening around 9pm. It was dark and rather scary in the parking lot because all the parking places by the side entrance to my room on the second floor were taken. It appears people park closest to the lobby hoping for more security. Even though this hotel is in an OK area, it still is quite dangerous because of the high crime in Stockton.

There isn't any access to the rooms from the lobby. This is a huge hotel. Since I was on the second floor I was forced to enter from a darker, not well-lightede balcony. It took several tries
before my room key let me in. I did not feel safe outside, but once inside it felt safe.

The breakfast in the morning was in an adjoining restaurant. You were allowed to order something simple from the menu. The food and coffee were very disappointing. My toast and eggs were cold.

I gave this hotel a poor because of the room access difficulty and the lack of security on the outside of the hotel. While the rooms were clean and comfortable, I wouldn't recommend
staying here due to the high crime, lack of security in the parking lot, and difficulty getting into
rooms from the outside.

There are better hotels off of Hwy 5, in Manteca, or Lodi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Reno, NV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The place needs to be updated. The breakfast was just awful. I have never seen bits of pancake cut up into the scrambled eggs. The pool area was just littered with glass bottles even though a sign says no glass. The staff just left the mess overnight. I would not recommend this hotel ever! Stay at the Hilton or Marriott. You will thank me.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I liked this hotel. The staff were very accomodating and our room overlooking the pool was very comfortable. The hotel is modern and very convenient for our needs which were a stopping off point on a Californian touring holiday.

The only negative was the breakfast. It's hard to be critical of a free hot breakfast but it wasn't hot and someone should teach the chef how to poach an egg!

The breakfast apart this Best Western was very good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Svang, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Evan,

Thank you for your recent response. I apologize that the breakfast did not meet your standards. I appreciate your feedback and will be using your constructive criticism to further improve the hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Shelly Vang
seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel is easy enough to find, and rooms are clean (although my non-smoking room had a cigarette burn hole on the bedspread).
It's kind of rough, though, in terms of the characters who walk through the parking lot. Even the guy at the front desk had a black eye. Maybe he goes to an MMA gym, who knows, but still. Didn't look good. But then, this is Stockton - times are tough.
The gym is dank and outdated, but at least it's there, and they have coin-operated washers and dryers.
The breakfast looked better than most for this price range - scrambled eggs (ok), sausage & bacon (which I did not try) and biscuits (dry), pancakes (inedible), coffee (decent). It's close to highways and shops, so if you just want a place to shower & sleep, you could really do far worse.

Room Tip: I'd skip getting a room on the ground floor - just for security - and if you're not a smoker...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Svang, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. I apologize that we didn't exceed your expectations. Our front desk clerk was involved in a serious accident and we are thankful that he is well enough to be with us today. Even with an eye injury, he is still dedicated to his job and continues to provide for his family. We look forward to serving you again in the future. We would love to opportunity to change your experience. Thank you again.

Shelly Vang