“left feeling like just money in the till” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Stockton to your Saves list
Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Howard Johnson Stockton
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 N. Center Street, Corner of Center & Weber, Stockton, CA 95202   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #15 of 27 hotels in Stockton
STOCKTON
“left feeling like just money in the till”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

our total stay was 20 consecutive days, upon arrival our rate was $67.00 a night. upon our searching for a better rate on line we were able to reduce our rate to $55.00 a night. finally after signing up for wyndham rewards membership we brought our rate down to $50.00 a night. our reason for staying at a hotel was due to suddenly being homeless. at the end of our stay we were under the impression that we were due at least a free night stay. we were denied so have opted to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Highland Park, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stockton is my 2nd destination in California. I departed from Bay
Area, and stayed this hotel. The staffs were very friendly, the rooms
have been refurbished recently and are very clean, the hotel was quiet
even it is located in downtown area, it's just off two major highways
(Highway-4 & 5) and very easy to find. Internet access was great.
The only negative thing I had was that my keycard shut off twice during my stay. I guess it might be too close to my cellphone, even the friendly staff were quick to reset my key
and apologize, it still caused inconvenience.
In conclusion, if my travel takes me to San Joaquin County again, I will
definitely choose this hotel over others and I suggest you do the same!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor that face the river
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The hotel is located in a beautiful setting near the lake. It is a great place for leisure walk for adults and biking for children. When I told the front desk about the possible toilet problem, they immediately gave us another room. However, we were not not able to get another non-smoking room because they were all sold out. The smell of the smoke bothered us since we were not smokers. However, the rooms were clean and comfortable otherwise.
The services were great. Workers were friendly and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. When we arrived, they met at the gate to direct our tour bus. Then, they arranged for our group to have an hour earlier breakfast when they found out that our group had to leave on a bus at the normal breakfast hour the next day. (Our group was 50+ people and average age of the group was 60+. I am not in their age group, but tagged along in this trip).

Room Tip: Non-smokers, be sure to get a room for non-smoking because smoking rooms are permeated with smoke, w...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We got to the hotel going to see a minor league baseball team. At first it seemed llike a ok cheap place. We had to rooms to choose from a older room and a newly remodeled one we got the remodeled one beacuse the lady at the front desk gave us a discount. We got to the room, it was not very nice but it is a howard. You could see a mark on the door from were the lock use to be. The onlhy nice thing in the room was the safe. We use the safe to store money and our self phones. The next morning we woke up and went to check the safe when I typed in the code it said error. I had wrote the code down and say the numbers on the screen as it closed the night before. We tried agin and it did not work so we call the manager and he came up. He told us that these should not even be on due to work on the machines and that there was no contract so they were not supposed to use it. The guy messed with it for 1 hour not doing anything productive. Then he took out a machine to kinda hack into it but of coures he didnt have batteries but luckly my father did. I took another 30 min intill he called a mantence man which then only took 5 min to unlock. Then we went to the breakfast area . If i had to use one word to describe the ares it would be crapy. Dont stay here ever! The only plus to this hotel is that it is very close to everything.It is also very loud as a forgot to say I herd the garbage truck twice and people talking in other rooms. This is a 70 dollar waste do not stay.

Room Tip: Just dont stay there are better chooses out there ex Best Western.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
HoJoStockton, General Manager at Howard Johnson Stockton, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
We would like to apologize for the inconveinence that you expeienced with the safe in your room while you stayed with us. I understand that the first gentleman who went to your room to fix the safe actually gave you some wrong information. He was not aware that we had already renewed our contract a week prior to your stay and the safes were in good working condition. The second gentleman who went to your room was the Manager on duty and he was able to open your safe right away. We have spoken with our safe company to complain about your situation, they replied to us that the only reason the safe can not be opened by your code is because you keyed in different code than what you wrote down. It is normal situation and it often happens when a person dial phone number. We feel happy your safe is finially opened.
As for breakfast, we have more than 15 items, including milk, juice, cookies, cereal, fruit, bagel, muffin, coffee, eggs, etc, maybe none of them you like, you could let us know, so we may be able to prepare the item you like for you.
As for location, we are only one block to access 2 highways, highway-4 and highway-5, but in comparison to other hotels that are next to the freeway we are more quiet.
Aagin, we are sorry for your unhappy experience, and we will make everything ready for you, including breakfast item you like if you choose to stay with us next time.
Ocean City, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We didn't have any reservations and finding a hotel with a non-smoking room in Stockton was next to impossible. Eventually we ended up in Howard Johnson thinking it would be a decent place to stay. Wrong! At night we were woken up by a woman(prostitute) screaming at somebody, in the morning going down for breakfast we didn't expect much but it was as bad as a continental breakfast can be plus they forgot to put the bowls out so even if you decide to go with cereal...sorry can't do( Coffe maker in the room was disgusting and i think there was only 15 channels at most. I advise to avoid this hotel and the city too if you can.

Room Tip: ask them to show you a few rooms, first 2 we looked at were not worth 30 bucks.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We would first like to apologize for the inconvience you experienced while you stayed at our hotel. After reviewing your comment we asked the guests that were in the rooms around yours if they heard this disturbance that you described. The other guests did let us know that they heard what sounded like to them an arguement between two people in our parking lot that night who happened to be locals and where not even guests at our hotel. We wish that you would have notified front desk so we could have sent security to that side of the parking lot right away. We also apologize that you were unhappy with the coffee maker in your room. Our housekeeping staff is trained to clean the coffee makers everyday but we would have been more than happy to exchange it or re-clean your coffee maker. We also regret that you were not able to find all of the channels that we offer, we may be able to send a technician to your room to check the tv signal. Our bowls were not put out yet when you arrived for breakfast because you arrived earlier than scheduled and we were still setting up our breakfast. Again we apologize for the inconveinences you encountered, we hope that your next stay with us will be more enjoyable and if there are any problems please let us know right away so we can correct the issues and make you feel more comfortable.
Stockton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

From the first sight of the hotel,I was attracted to the location of the hotel,which was next to the Stockton Marina.With the Marina being so close I was able to watch the sunset.With further investigation I was drown in to the hospitable employees that this Howard Johnson in Stockton had working for them,making me feel at home instantly.Very surprised,when I opened the door to my issued room.This room was very clean and fresh everything having it's place.Unlike other Hotels I have stayed in,the bed I slept in was very comfortable much like my bed at home.Being able to receive a fitting nights sleep I was able to wake up in the morning and conduct my business with my employers.This Howard Johnson in Stockton is an Hotel that I will use again and recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Rochester, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

When we arrived (our reservation was made on-line), the room assigned to us had not been cleaned and the previous customers had smashed out the deadbolt lock. All this without the front desk clerk knowing.
At 12:30 that night, we were awakened by a child running and jumping off the beds. Tried to phone the office - phone didn't work. Had to walk to office to raise night manager.
This is one of the Wyndham properties and we always stay at Super 8 Motels (also Wyndham property). Have always been pleased with our stays. That's why we were so disappointed in this property.
Would not recommend.

Room Tip: Go to different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Howard Johnson Stockton? Share your experiences!