“On the Water, If you Pick the Right Room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of University Plaza Waterfront Hotel

Save Saved
You added University Plaza Waterfront Hotel to your Saves list
University Plaza Waterfront Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110 West Fremont Street, Stockton, CA 95202 (Formerly Lexington Plaza Waterfront Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Stockton
Portland, Oregon
“On the Water, If you Pick the Right Room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were there for a high school reunion, so there was a "convention-like" atmosphere to our stay...not always the way a hotel shows its best. Still, University Plaza's facilities and staff did an excellent job of caring for us as guests and "reunioners", even adapting, quickly, when our reunion event, planned for outdoors on the waterfront, was deluged with rain. The indoor substitute location wasn't as pretty, but is was sure a lot dryer!

Our room was bright, airy, comfortable, and without a waterfront view. Instead we had a full view of the local event arena, where the Ringling Brothers circus was installed. Not as scenic as the water-view, but interesting. The view was my fault: I neglected to make sure I reserved a waterfront view.

Nobody will mistake the University Plaza for a "deluxe-class" hotel, but it is certainly first class and comfortable.

Also, the hotel was great about ferrying small groups of our class-mates around the downtown area in hotel vans, given the horrible weather. If it had been sunny then most of what downtown Stockton has would have been easily within walking distance

Room Tip: Remember to ASK for a river-view room if that is important to you. Rooms with balcony and outdoor s...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I wish I could write a review, but alas, weeks after reserving a room here for a youth event in town for my kids, the hotel called me to revoke my reservation with no recompense. That's right -- they cancelled me and my family, and the youth group we were going to be traveling with had to go find other places to stay. We ended up scattered all over the region. Furthermore, by the time they decided to kick us out, all of the other decent places were booked. We ended up in a roach hotel instead. Thanks university waterfront hotel. Lovely place you've got there.

• Stayed July 2013
East Lothian
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed one night on route to San Francisco. Check in was average, rooms are very nice, clean and modern. Large bathroom with hot and powerful shower, think they must pump airfreshner into the rooms and corridors as it smells pleasant everywhere. Outside there is a nice pool area with day beds and comfy garden furniture. We ate in the bar and Stephanie the bar tender was great, very efficient, kept topping up our drinks and recommended food from the menu. I thought the menu was really good, I struggled to decide as there is something here for everyone. Asked the bar tender Aaron to explain the American football rules and he was great, thanks Aaron! At check out I asked for the bar tenders names so I could mention them in my review and found the receptionist pretty disinterested, shame really as the rest of the experience was really good. For this reason i am giving only 4 stars for service as there needs to be improvements on the front desk! As an aside for those if you that are interested this is a bit of a concept hotel, when built it was to have luxury condos on top floor, but due to lack of interest these are being changed into student accommodation. There is a big plaque at the front of the hotel giving more info, but basically this hotel will offer rooms to travellers and students throughout the year, not just during uni holidays as it is in the UK. Also hotel will provide transport for students to get to uni and also housekeeping services, I for one think this is a great business model.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

When I arrived, I could not hear myself think due to the loud rock music playing at the hotel. Teenagers dressed as goths roaming the premises. I left immediately. At least Expedia agreed to refund me.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

rooms well decorated, close to bar/food areas and downtown area. adjacent to downtown arena and minor league ballpark. great outdoor lounge area that is well protected from wind which can come up channel from the delta area west of town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel was the nicest surprise find ever! We were told that we were going to be near a rough area in Stockton, and truly we were close, but this hotel is a complete winner. It's beautiful, well appointed, well thought out and the staff there are over the top helpful. The rooms are smaller but beautifully done in a clean blue and white them, super comfy beds and linens... a nice big shower (no baths though)... wall mount flat screen TV, a fridge and microwave in the room as well as coffee maker. The parking is big, safe and free, (yes that is a nice treat these days) as well as free wifi. The restaurant was very good, the bar is huge and awesome with very good service and you can take both food and drinks outdoors. They've designed a beautiful seating area between the two wings of the hotel with great outdoor comfortable furniture and lots of it, and even out door pool tables and a ping pong game. At the front of the hotel is the waterfront which has been very well restored and is a great view from the higher floors. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to everyone. I know part of it is dorms for the University and we expected it to be active and noisy but the rooms were extremely quiet. Maybe because it's summer? I would come back here to stay on any occasion that I had to be in Stockton.

Room Tip: I would choose a higher floor with a view of the pretty courtyard area and the waterfront.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Great find! Priced the same as the ubiquitous Hampton, and HI Express this hotel has a lot more to offer. Nice location with view of river and park. Fun atmosphere with outdoor lounge area. Good light breakfast and dinner options, full bar and above average workout facility. Rooms were clean with comfy beds and a fun nautical theme. Summer fun included two fun evenings at the Ports Baseball game right next door. We will definitely stay again while in Stockton for business.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to University Plaza Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!