“A business traveler's paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of University Plaza Waterfront Hotel

You added University Plaza Waterfront Hotel to your Saves list
University Plaza Waterfront Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110 West Fremont Street, Stockton, CA 95202 (Formerly Lexington Plaza Waterfront Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Stockton
Los Angeles, California
“A business traveler's paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed at the University Plaza Waterfront Hotel on a recent business trip and it was definitely near the best hotel experience I have ever had. As a frequent traveler, a comfortable bed, a clean bathroom, and a friendly staff are very important to me. Not only did the hotel meet my expecations, but well exceeded them. The hotel bed and linens were probably some of the most comfortable I have EVER slept in. Not only was the bed comfortable, but the room was a nice serene enviroment. I didn't ever have to venture far from the hotel because the Delta Bistro was amazing, not only reasonably priced (for my fellow travelers who have a low per diem on meals) - but the food... unique and delicious (also, I loved to relax during my dinners in the arm charm/table setup deal - see picture. The bar was always filled and the enviroment was very friendly. I had the oppportunity to meet the manager Warren and he was constantly walking around and speaking with staff/guest - that is not common in my experiences to see the manager so involved and I am a Hilton Honors member. My service, my stay, and my overall reccomendation is that this is the top hotel in Stockon to stay in.

Room Tip: Ask for 301 - it has a very nice setup, it's quiet, and the bathroom is HUGE.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I know there are not very many options in Stockton, but I cannot believe that one of the more expensive hotels, University Plaza, lacks hot water in the morning!

The hotel is, indeed, a college dorm. It is primarily a residence for college kids at UOP. What does that mean? Cheap furniture everywhere (IKEA, etc. otherwise it would be destroyed), an empty bar/restaurant with limited selections, horribly spotty WiFi, bad parking, limited/no staff (e.g., no valet, no bell hop), and bad linens.

I could tolerate all of the above, even though the WiFi is an issue, but seriously, no hot water in the morning!?!?!? This happened on each of the days I stayed at this hotel... What is this, the dark ages? Considering the hotel appeared to be 1/2 empty, I have to wonder how the hotel lacks the capacity to keep up with the hot water needs...

In any event, unless you like cold showers, I suggest you stay at another hotel...

Room Tip: Don't shower or shave in the morning since this hotel runs out of hot water...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My family has been coming to this hotel for a couple of years now for my daughter's softball tournaments. This hotel is the jewel of Stockton and has become a home away from home. When I check in, I am greeted with warm smiles. I had an issue with a reservation that I thought I had made, but it wasn't showing up in the computer, and Jean, the Front Desk Manager was able to get me in a room with a King bed, but I really needed a room with 2 beds as we were 2 adults and 2 kids. Jean said she would try her very best and would call me back in a couple of days with news either way. I thought to myself, "ya right, that's what they all say." Well, to my surprise and delight, Jean called me back the very next day and was able to switch my room to a room with 2 beds.

Most recently, we were there for a 16U Girl's Softball tournament. That Saturday night, there happened to be a HUGE costume party for Halloween. The person who checked us in was very considerate in giving us a room on the opposite wing so that the girls wouldn't be kept up by the ruckus. It was very quiet in the room and the girls were able to get a good night's rest.

Everytime I check in, I am greeted like I am coming home with the front desk personnel always having warm smiles, and the words, "welcome back". I wish I remembered all their names, but will make it a point next time. Everyone is GREAT and extremely helpful.

CC at the bar and restaurant is the BEST. She is always accommodating, fun to talk to and her service is impeccable.

The Go-to guys Greg and Rick are wonderful and make sure the property is safe, everyone is having a good time and truly care for the hotel like it is theirs.

I look forward to going back and will not stay in any other hotel in Stockton!

PS Even though the hotel houses The University Lofts, this has never been an issue or concern.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the restaurant or for a room with a view of the water.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

If you are staying in Stockton, this is your place! The staff is amazing and the customer service is impecable. The staff are always friendly and helpful, and the rooms are very comfortable. The attention to detail, and their visitors is priceless.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the river, or the lawn.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
San Ramon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Went to the University Plaza waterfront restaurant - The Delta Bistro & Lounge. Our waiter Charles was on the ball. This place was packed. We and several thousand other people were going to a concert next door. The bar and restaurant were pack. Everyone told us that any food order would take an hour or more we only had about 40 minutes. We found a table in the bar and Charles told us the sad news but also told us we could get the buffet from the restaurant. For $15 all you can eat buffet which was a bargain. Charles took our drink order and I thought well if the food orders would take long so would the drinks. Charles was on top of it. Got our drinks to us in less than 5 minutes. He also came back an got us a second round. And the drinks were awesome not watered down it was perfect. Charles was great and with this being our first trip to this Bar and Restaurant, I'm sure we will be back looking for Charles when we go to our next concert in Stockton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Anyone considering staying at this hotel needs to understand that the University Plaza Waterfront has a partnership with UOP to house some of its students. This fact is not clearly indicated on the hotel's website, and might have affected our decision to stay there had we known. Lacking that knowledge, we made an online reservation for a single weeknight just after Labor Day. Check-in was a bit of a circus -- only one person working the desk, and she was mired in dealing with some complex resident student problem. This seems really inefficient; it would be much better to have a desk employee who is dedicated to handling student issues so that the regular customers can check in or out in a timely manner. Sure, the desk clerk was nice enough, but the process was much slower than it had to be. When we made it to the head of the line, the clerk said that the hotel had "lost" our reservation and we would need to dictate all of our information to her again. According to the clerk, the hotel's reservation system is contracted out to a third-party website that is supposed to forward the reservation information on to the hotel via FAX(!), and the hotel's FAX machine is "unreliable." Pardon me, but 1997 called and wants its technology back! After that, it was time to stow the car. Be advised that here's no on-site parking for customers, so we had to park in the adjacent ballpark's lot. Not a big deal after the end of the baseball season when downtown Stockton is completely dead, but you have to wonder what happens during the summer. Finally got up to the room, and even though it was clear that the hotel was not even close to being full, the clerk put us in a room facing the ballpark and its parking lot. We couldn't even see the water or the pool, which are supposed to be some of the property's main attractions! After that, we noticed that most of the electrical appliances in the room (e.g., alarm clock, coffee maker, desk lamp) weren't plugged in, and quickly understood why: there were hardly any outlets in the room to use! The king bed and linens were decent, but the bathroom was kind of odd -- it had a glass door, so the entire living space was illuminated whenever anyone switched on the bathroom light. That disturbed our sleep a little, but the last straw was the drunken carousing students who woke us at 3:00 AM. Why doesn't the hotel separate the resident students from the regular guests, especially when they have plenty of available vacancy? Bottom line: the pool and bar look nice, so there's potential, but management seems to have no idea about how to run a hotel so that its customers will return. Please do yourselves a favor and stay elsewhere unless this hotel does the unlikely and gets its act together.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was very quiet and pleasant. Staff were super helpful and nice. Can walk to restaurants and store. Safe, outdoor parking. In a quiet area of town, very pretty by the water. Clean, modern rooms. Good room service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to University Plaza Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!