“A nice, quiet Italian experience” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
Dallas, Texas
“A nice, quiet Italian experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Two visits to DeVega Brothers yielded two very pleasant meals. The first featured an excellent Chicken Saltimbocca and the excellent was a wonderful grilled Halibut dish. Friendly service that kept bringing baskets of garlic bread. I ate there during the week and found the dining room rather quiet as there weren't a huge number of diners. Nice wine selection and prices that were fair given the quality and size of portions.

Visited April 2012

Carlin, Nevada
“Nothing special”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

My friend invited me here. It’s just a big open room with the bar at one corner. We arrived about 7:00pm on a Friday night. There were patrons at the bar and 3 tables in use; 2 couples and a third couple with a child. We stood for what seemed 5 minutes waiting for someone, anyone to seat us. The hostess was busy folding napkins at the bar and found it more important to finish her stack than to seat the paying guest. I'm already unhappy about my first impression and our hostess was a stone faced pregnant girl who found it necessary to put her apron under her pregnancy rather than over her pregnancy defeats the purpose of the apron. Of course, with an entirely empty restaurant, she seats us next to the couple with the kid. Side note: 2 other sets of customers arrived after we ordered and our hostess places them right next to us.
Just because a restaurant places white linen on the tables, does not make for a classy place. I decided to play it safe and order chicken marsala. Even a 10 year old 4-H student in their 2nd year of cooking can make this dish! First, they offer no other vegetable than zucchini for their entrees. However, my waitress was able to negotiate extra mushroom instead. Presentation was my first clue that the cook had not consulted with a 4-H student. My plate came with drippings of oil and crushed parsley all around the outer edge of my plate, what an disgusting mess. The chicken was fryed in old oil and had a burnt flavor. The bread was also coated in oil not butter. Screaming CHEAP CHEAP! Dessert was a further disappointment; the cake had separated from the frosting showing signs of age and the cake had been vacation in the refrigerator for probable 4-5 days leaving the distinct , “I need a glass of water between bites to wash down the dry cake” trade mark of old foods.
To top the evening off, where we parked was the view to the kitchen help smoking cigarettes with the pregnant hostess. Had class written all over it!

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
California
“Could have been a quite dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

After traveling on business for a long, long time, I am on the lookout for non-chain restaurants. The front desk staffer at the Hilton recommended DeVega Brothers. The L-shaped interior of the restaurant has a bar at one end and I was seated there. Two fellas at the bar were talking so loud I was assaulted by their gossipy conversation about local politics and business owners. Ack. Upon being seated, I was served a basket of amazing garlic bread. Large chunks of Italian bread were brushed with garlic butter and toasted. I ordered the chicken piccata. I came with a choice of soup/salad and pasta/ risotto. The salad was made with fresh lettuce and house made Italian dressing. I should have gone with the pasta. The risotto was served barely warm and was not good at all. It was much too starchy and bland. Perhaps if it had been served hot the flavors would have been different. I'm used to chicken piccata that is a thinnly pounded chicken breast, but this was little pieces of chicken that had curled upon cooking. The taste was good (not great) but the sauce was an oily looking sea on the plate. Most un appetizing. I ordered the Tiramisu for dessert and agree with another reviewer that the chocolate drizzle on the plate was unnecessary. The dessert was good....not great. The service was very laid back and friendly, which I enjoy to a point. All was good until I was ready for the check and had to flag down my waitress who was chatting with a co-worker about school classes behind the bar. I will definitely return and give this one a second try.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manhattan Beach CA
“Beautiful place, excellent service, erratic food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

This restaurant is a surprise, a very stylish place at the edge of a strip mall. Server was splendid and helpful, made our party of four feel welcome and shared suggestions about what to order. Salads were fine, with homemade dressings, and my chicken saltimbocca annd my wife's eggplant parmesan were excellent. The other two members of the party were less happy with theirs. The marinara sauce had an odd herbal flavor, possibly from too much oregano, and the sausage had a very strong fennel flavor. The wine list had some local bottles reasonably priced, but could have used more instead of Italian and Napa bottles - there is no place with a decent by-the-glass selection of local wines in the area, and they're missing an opportunity. This was good for Stockton and had some highlights, but could be better. Uprated for the excellent service.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Goodyear, Arizona
“Wonderful Food, drinks and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I've never been disappointed with the food. Lots of it and excellent quality

• Visited July 2011