“Good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn & Suites

You added Clarion Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Clarion Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4219 East Waterloo Road, Stockton, CA 95215 (Formerly Stockton Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Stockton
Reno, NV
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We selected this hotel with some reluctance because at $62 a night, we were ready for a flea-bag. It turned out to be a pleasant surprise. It's an older hotel but the rooms were clean and spacious. Believe it or not, the $62 included a good breakfast, too. The pool looked clean. Randal the bartender was friendly and helpful. Debbie the breakfast waitress was friendly. The bar and breakfast were open despite there being very few guests. They must be struggling financially but all of the essentials were there for our stay so we left well satisfied.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sparks, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We are very disappointed with our recent (Feb. 19, 2012) stay at the Clarion Inn & Suites in Stockton, California (on Waterloo Rd). We were in Stockton for my brother’s wedding and purchased 2 rooms. The hotel was basically empty and yet we were placed in the wing closest to the very noisy freeway. Not very good customer service by the very rude front desk clerk either. Since the rooms were stuffy, we tried to turn on the air conditioners and neither one of them worked. I called the front desk, and the front desk clerk, told me that there was no one that could take a look at them but they would make a note of it. They also needed to make a note of the pet stains in the carpet as well. So, after a very uncomfortable night, we got up, got ready for the wedding and went to the lobby for breakfast. However, there was NO breakfast as promised in our reservation. I even confirmed the time breakfast would be served when we checked in. We were told Sorry, ‘the lady that usually does breakfast didn’t show up’. REALLY??? That’s the explanation? One of the main reasons we choose to stay at this hotel was that it offered breakfast. Since the Groom stayed with us that night, I especially wanted to make sure he got something to eat. With all the issues we had with the Clarion, I will not stay or recommend this hotel ……very disappointing.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

The Clarion is an older property with a very convenient location if you're traveling in Central California on 99 or 5. There are lots of fast food places within walking distance and A Dennys across the street plus a restaurant/bar in the motel.

I never expect the older properties to be perfect - whenever you stay in an older motel, you expect to do without some of the extras or design features newer places have - the trade off is usually an economical price and/or good location.

I was here for one night to attend a going-away party given at a local venue nearby which is why I picked it - I booked a "King Suite" which normally runs close to 90 bucks but i had a free night from Choice Privileges.

- - - The check in process was easy, quick and the front desk staff was friendly enough

- - - The room (Suite) was huge. It had full size couch, 2 rooms, 2 TVs. Thinking it would be good for a family. TV's were old and not in best condition - kind of what you expect for an older motel. But honestly, it wouldn't take a lot of work to give the rooms and property a much needed make-over.

- - -The hallways smell of smoke, there's no security on the outside doors to the building. Many of the screens on the bottom floor have been pried off it appears from attempted break ins. This place really needs a paint job inside and out badly.

- - - When I first got to the room, there was actually garbage still there from the previous renter that housekeeping must have missed. The towels seemed as old as the property and could really be thrown out. Bed was comfortable enough but it seems such a waste of such large rooms with the 1970-1980's type furniture and set up.

- - - Restaurant/Bar - they give you a voucher for a free breakfast at the restaurant which i tried to use but after waiting nearly 15 minutes for anyone to seat me (there were 2 couples eating there - both said they'd been waiting nearly 20 min for their order. I went to the front desk and saw the waitress out front dishing with the housekeeper. No thanks. I heard the food was not very well from others and they suggested Dennys . I had to catch a plane in Sacramento so i skipped the free breakfast. The restaurant also looks like it hasn't changed in 25 years and could really use some new carpet and a paint job.

I had a cocktail the night before and the bar was a bright spot - Randall the bartender was efficient, friendly and probably the best thing this place had going for it.

- - - Location - like I said probably the best thing going for this place is the location. People complaining about freeway noise shouldn't be surprised - it is right off the freeway after all. it can be difficult to get out on Highway 88 during the evening rush hour as there are no lights.

- - - Check out - no one around for that either - so i have no idea what the process is like - i just left.

Being a Clarion - I expected more. This property is completely at the bottom of the low end for this chain IMO. If they spent a little to spruce up the place - update the rooms a bit (im not talking designer here - clean alone would be a start) they'd have a much better place. The curtains in my room were broken and i didn't want to touch them anyway - very stained and ripped.

So if you must stay here - i'd advise you to avoid the restaurant, bring your own towels and don't expect much above an older (much older) "Motel 6" type experience.

I really wanted to like this place but it needs a make-over and maybe some customer service training for the staff (Like actually be in the restaurant would be nice)

Room Tip: Suites are large and probably safe as they're at the end of the interior halls.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Buena Park, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I attended a function for a non-profit organization on Nov. 5, 2011 at this Inn and I was very disappointed and frustrated. The property is conveniently located along the freeway but the building plan is very inconvenient. You have to walk a very long way to one of the buildings. You have to go out of the main building where the registration lobby is, to go to your room. It was raining and very cold at that evening and to go the rooms, you have to feel the cold. Though the walkway to the buidings are shaded, it's not good! The room that I was assigned to smelled like old cigerette smoke that gave me headache. dinner was served behind schedule and the SLOWEST SERVICE I've ever experienced. The 'prime rib' looked and tasted like it was left in the oven for hours that it was pulling apArt, thougH my husband's was tough. It never looked and tasted like it was freshly prepared. The bread was ice-cold and hard. My daughter's salmon was hard and dry, and the food servers were not friendly. I never saw anybody smile or 'greet' the guests. The 'chef' was very rude in responding to questions and requests. We were starving and we had no choice but to eat COLD, TOUGH or SHREDDED BEEF, ICE COLD BREAD, OVERCOOKED VEGGIES and waited ALMOST 2 for the servers to get to our table. Free continental breakfast is included in the room accomodation, but IT WAS NEVER WORTH IT!!! AGAIN, 2 HOURS OF WAITING FOR THE BREAKFAST. My family and I came all the way from Southern California and this terrible experience ruined our purpose of coming here. The only good thing about the trip was the fact that I was able to see some old friends, acquaintances, town mates and the organization's function was successful. I hope that management will do something about the food service. VERY TERRIBLE!!!

- Marilyn

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Stayed here w/my teenager for a Stockton youth tournament. At $70, the price seemed great and we had friends staying here so I put aside my hesitation and booked. Big mistake. It's an old property, in need of remodeling, with long, 2-story buildings. Because Stockton has a high crime rate, I asked for a 2nd floor room and I'm glad I did because some of the ground-floor rooms looked like they'd had break-in attempts. No elevators, however. They originally assigned us a room in the building where our friends were. When I looked at the motel diagram, I saw that our room was close to the freeway, I-99, a major interstate. The manager/clerk was very nice and told us she'd let us check it out and change if we wanted. We did. Old, thin windows and the freeway noise roared through them. She graciously moved us, but to another building on the other side of the property. Not near our friends, though with the game schedules, there wasn't time to socialize, so that didn't really matter. (Yet because of the security issues, it would have been nice to have friends nearby.)

We drove over to the newly-assigned room, which had a view of the parking lot, with a semi parked in it, and the back of a gas station. At least it faced away from the freeway. The long, narrow buildings had two doors at each end, and they were open wide, I think all night long. The sprinkler system had been running, and both side entries were wet with pools of water -- inside the building. Walking gingerly, we hauled our stuff upstairs, a couple of trips. Ice machine only on the ground floor. Later, I realized I'd forgotten something in the car. It was dark already and I felt very unsafe going down to get it.

The room was hot, stuffy, and stale. Went to the wall thermostat, which instructed to set climate control on the heater/cooler under the window. We turned it on and it seemed to work for awhile, albeit extremely noisily. After about 15 minutes, before the room was cooled, it kicked off. We could get it to blow again, but nothing we could do would get it to blow cool air. It wasn't broken; rather, it seemed like the way it was designed. It wasn't as hot as Stockton can get in the summer, so tried to open the window -- 2 inches and no further. Spent a miserable hot, stuffy night. The manager said next day that I should have called the desk.

The beds were comfortable. Bathroom unmemorable. Towels thin and scratchy. Small fridge with a teensy freezer that didn't hold more than a couple ice packs (from our cooler) and didn't even freeze those. Had to buy a bag of ice the next day. TV selection was minimal; just a few stations with no on-screen guide.

Didn't hear much noise during the night, but I'm not sure anyone else was staying in our wing. Which made it creepier, knowing the doors right downstairs were wide open and that we were far from the front desk and lobby (such as it was).

Breakfast is apparently not included automatically. Ours was because we had a team rate. But it didn't open until 7 and we had to leave at 6:30, so we went to a market the night before and bought my daughter some food. I took her to the field and drove back to finish packing, get some breakfast to go, check out, and head back to the playing field, about 15 minutes each way. Breakfast is not a buffet; it’s cooked to order in a restaurant. Seemed good. It was staffed by only one person when I got there. Handed her my voucher and she gave me the special free-breakfast limited menu. Finally snagged her again to place my order and waited. And waited. Some friends walked in and sat down at a table to order. By this time, another waitress had come on duty. (They eventually ordered their food, but it didn't come by the time they had to leave.) Eventually, my food came, quite mediocre, but I was grateful to take it and leave that place.

Stockton is not the best town for lodging. We paid $70, which is much less than what other chain hotels in Stockton charge (and some of those in high-crime areas). Still, it was NOT cheap enough to warrant staying there. It felt seedy and unsafe, and while nothing was horrendously bad, the unpleasantries added up to a very poor experience. What we saved, we spent buying food for her breakfast, ice for the cooler, and in time and aggravation. We will never stay there again. For people going to Stockton, I recommend staying outside the city, in Lathrop or Lodi. You’ll pay a little more and have to drive a bit farther, and it’s totally worth it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

The Clarion Suites motel in Stockton was ideally situated on our road trip between Yosemite and Sacremento. The room was fine and there was ample parking. There was also a pool although we didn't use it.
The restaurant was closed for evening meal although there was nothing to tell us that in advance.

Breakfast was included but although there were only 2 other couples in the dining room we waited over an hour for our beakfast to arrive. 2 other families came in, waited and then gave up and left in the time we waited. There was obviously something going very wrong in the kitchen. We persevered and when it finally arrived it was an OK coooked breakfast. My advice to other guests would be to go elsewhere for breakfast - life is too short to wait at the Clarion!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

We'd stayed here overnight on our way to drive back home to Seattle. The gal that checked us in was super friendly and informative.She'd allowed us to ck in at 10am. Never once did she say I don't know to us. She'd replaced it with "let me find out for you." They had a complimentary hot breakfast. Our orders came out fresh and hot (30 mins later). It was super delicious too. Even though the service was super slow, but the waitress greeted us with a warm smile. It was Easter Sunday and she was working the breakfast and lounge area alone. So, we had to give her a break for trying to serve both sides. Even though it was in the high 60's, my Fiance and his nephew took a dip in their big pool. It was convenient that they had guest laundry on site so I can wash and dry the wet clothes before heading home instead of packing wet heavy clothings.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!