“Not worth the savings” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Clarion Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Clarion Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4219 East Waterloo Road, Stockton, CA 95215 (Formerly Stockton Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 27 hotels in Stockton
San Francisco
“Not worth the savings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Stayed here w/my teenager for a Stockton youth tournament. At $70, the price seemed great and we had friends staying here so I put aside my hesitation and booked. Big mistake. It's an old property, in need of remodeling, with long, 2-story buildings. Because Stockton has a high crime rate, I asked for a 2nd floor room and I'm glad I did because some of the ground-floor rooms looked like they'd had break-in attempts. No elevators, however. They originally assigned us a room in the building where our friends were. When I looked at the motel diagram, I saw that our room was close to the freeway, I-99, a major interstate. The manager/clerk was very nice and told us she'd let us check it out and change if we wanted. We did. Old, thin windows and the freeway noise roared through them. She graciously moved us, but to another building on the other side of the property. Not near our friends, though with the game schedules, there wasn't time to socialize, so that didn't really matter. (Yet because of the security issues, it would have been nice to have friends nearby.)

We drove over to the newly-assigned room, which had a view of the parking lot, with a semi parked in it, and the back of a gas station. At least it faced away from the freeway. The long, narrow buildings had two doors at each end, and they were open wide, I think all night long. The sprinkler system had been running, and both side entries were wet with pools of water -- inside the building. Walking gingerly, we hauled our stuff upstairs, a couple of trips. Ice machine only on the ground floor. Later, I realized I'd forgotten something in the car. It was dark already and I felt very unsafe going down to get it.

The room was hot, stuffy, and stale. Went to the wall thermostat, which instructed to set climate control on the heater/cooler under the window. We turned it on and it seemed to work for awhile, albeit extremely noisily. After about 15 minutes, before the room was cooled, it kicked off. We could get it to blow again, but nothing we could do would get it to blow cool air. It wasn't broken; rather, it seemed like the way it was designed. It wasn't as hot as Stockton can get in the summer, so tried to open the window -- 2 inches and no further. Spent a miserable hot, stuffy night. The manager said next day that I should have called the desk.

The beds were comfortable. Bathroom unmemorable. Towels thin and scratchy. Small fridge with a teensy freezer that didn't hold more than a couple ice packs (from our cooler) and didn't even freeze those. Had to buy a bag of ice the next day. TV selection was minimal; just a few stations with no on-screen guide.

Didn't hear much noise during the night, but I'm not sure anyone else was staying in our wing. Which made it creepier, knowing the doors right downstairs were wide open and that we were far from the front desk and lobby (such as it was).

Breakfast is apparently not included automatically. Ours was because we had a team rate. But it didn't open until 7 and we had to leave at 6:30, so we went to a market the night before and bought my daughter some food. I took her to the field and drove back to finish packing, get some breakfast to go, check out, and head back to the playing field, about 15 minutes each way. Breakfast is not a buffet; it’s cooked to order in a restaurant. Seemed good. It was staffed by only one person when I got there. Handed her my voucher and she gave me the special free-breakfast limited menu. Finally snagged her again to place my order and waited. And waited. Some friends walked in and sat down at a table to order. By this time, another waitress had come on duty. (They eventually ordered their food, but it didn't come by the time they had to leave.) Eventually, my food came, quite mediocre, but I was grateful to take it and leave that place.

Stockton is not the best town for lodging. We paid $70, which is much less than what other chain hotels in Stockton charge (and some of those in high-crime areas). Still, it was NOT cheap enough to warrant staying there. It felt seedy and unsafe, and while nothing was horrendously bad, the unpleasantries added up to a very poor experience. What we saved, we spent buying food for her breakfast, ice for the cooler, and in time and aggravation. We will never stay there again. For people going to Stockton, I recommend staying outside the city, in Lathrop or Lodi. You’ll pay a little more and have to drive a bit farther, and it’s totally worth it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

The Clarion Suites motel in Stockton was ideally situated on our road trip between Yosemite and Sacremento. The room was fine and there was ample parking. There was also a pool although we didn't use it.
The restaurant was closed for evening meal although there was nothing to tell us that in advance.

Breakfast was included but although there were only 2 other couples in the dining room we waited over an hour for our beakfast to arrive. 2 other families came in, waited and then gave up and left in the time we waited. There was obviously something going very wrong in the kitchen. We persevered and when it finally arrived it was an OK coooked breakfast. My advice to other guests would be to go elsewhere for breakfast - life is too short to wait at the Clarion!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

We'd stayed here overnight on our way to drive back home to Seattle. The gal that checked us in was super friendly and informative.She'd allowed us to ck in at 10am. Never once did she say I don't know to us. She'd replaced it with "let me find out for you." They had a complimentary hot breakfast. Our orders came out fresh and hot (30 mins later). It was super delicious too. Even though the service was super slow, but the waitress greeted us with a warm smile. It was Easter Sunday and she was working the breakfast and lounge area alone. So, we had to give her a break for trying to serve both sides. Even though it was in the high 60's, my Fiance and his nephew took a dip in their big pool. It was convenient that they had guest laundry on site so I can wash and dry the wet clothes before heading home instead of packing wet heavy clothings.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!