“Not Great, But Good.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 27 hotels in Stockton
Vancouver
“Not Great, But Good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

This is a good hotel for the price. Not a great one. A great one needs to exceed my expectations This one met many of them, did not meet others and exceeded none. The distinguishing feature is that each room has a kitchen. If that is what you want, then you will likely be pleased. But this is not a new hotel. It appears that it has been refreshed, which is obviously a plus. New carpets and updated bathrooms (although I didn't realize toilets came in a "small" size until I stayed here). We didn't have occasion to use the kitchen, but it certainly seemed to have everything you could reasonably expect. The included breakfast was very good (although my 2 teenage sons were somewhat less impressed, but then again my wife and my teenage daughter agreed with me). Great scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, fresh waffles, fruit, juice, etc. Very convenient location off the I-5 also. On the minus side, however, beds are an obviously important part of any hotel stay. The bed we had was amongst the least comfortable we have ever slept on. And our teenagers in the adjacent room said the same about their's too. On the whole, a good choice for your options in Stockton. Just not a great one.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Katie G, General Manager at Residence Inn Stockton, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us this past March. We only unveiled our completed newly renovated rooms one week ago and are confident you will feel they will exceed your expectations. We now have rooms with new decor, carpets and furniture that are being installed, including new mattresses. They are of excellent quality and we have recieved very positive feedback, I agree that this is a very important element to our guest's stay.. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary Home Touch Breakfast buffet. Thank you for making us your choice during your last visit to Stockton, I hope you give us another opportunity to see that we are on the way to becoming an even better, "great" choice than your previous experience. Our renovation is expected to be completed in May.

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Placentia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My family had a great stay at the Residence Inn. We booked a one-bedroom suite. Room came with a queen, a pullout sofabed and we requested a rollaway bed which was present in the room when we arrived. Our room and the common areas were clean. The breakfast was excellent.

The room was nearly ideal for us. All of us were comfortable in our beds and there was plenty of room to move about. Although we did not cook in the kitchen, we did use the sink (brushing teeth) and fridge, leftovers/water. The extra sink was nice at bedtime.

A couple of days before the trip from Southern California to Stockton, I called Residence Inn to discuss possible cancellation of the first night of our two-night stay due to a winter storm which might close the Grapevine. Although their policy allows cancellations up to the day before arrival, RI was very accommodating allowing me to cancel on the day of arrival if we couldn't make it to Stockton. The Grapevine was briefly closed but reopened by the time we drove through.

I would recommend taking a look at a map of the location prior to arrival. RI is not on March Lane but tucked behind a two-story office building. It is easier to access via Deer Park Drive. A quick check of Google Maps will make this obvious.

Room Tip: Room #109 was close to an exit and had an entrance off the main hallway, offering more privacy. The...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Katie G, General Manager at Residence Inn Stockton, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Michyang, thank you so much for the wonderful review! Your directions to our hotel are very helpful as well, we agree that it is easier to access the hotel from Deepark Drive. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our rooms, breakfast and overall stay with us. We hope you visit us again, by then we will have our newly renovated rooms available! Thank you again for choosing the Residence Inn Stockton.
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Booked two rooms at christmas so we didn't overwhelm the relatives homes. Was convienent, comfortable. Staff was nice. rooms were large enough with small kitchens which were helpful. Rooms were clean on the surface, but could have used a bit more focus on detail as the fold out couch wasn't made up in advance and not enough blankets for December

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Katie G, General Manager at Residence Inn Stockton, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for spending the holidays with us, we are happy to hear you enjoyed our large rooms and staff. It is Marriott policy to not keep the pull out sofas linen automatically on the bed for our guests, but rather folded neatly inside of the closet and stored in a plastic container. We are absolutely happy to assist with placing these on the mattresses, however, they are sealed and checked for each stay to guarantee cleanliness. We appreciate your review and look forward to your next visit at the Residence Inn Stockton.
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Very quite hotel where I got 8 hours of solid sleep. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Would be great for a family. My room had 2 TVs and a fireplace. They offer free breakfast, which makes it a better deal. Would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Katie G, General Manager at Residence Inn Stockton, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Greetings Leslie H! Thank you for staying with the Residence Inn and for your review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us, received a good night's sleep and joined us for our complimentary breakfast buffet! Please keep us in mind on your next visit to Stockton, CA.
oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We booked the Residence Inn on I-5 for our trip from Portland, OR to Los Angeles, Ca. We were going to have 4-5 people in the car and wanted extra sleeping space all in 1 room. Residence Inn offered a 2 bedroom suite with each bedroom having it's own on-suite bathroom. There is a kitchen/sitting area in the middle of the 2 bedrooms. The sitting area has a pull out sofa.
When we arrived, it was very dark. We had gotten a late start due to car trouble. The entrance was poorly marked. We went in and were told we didn't have a reservation. I pulled out my confirmation paper and was told that the entrance to the room we booked was in a different part of the property. We drove around and eventually found the entrance. At 10PM, it was locked and we had to bang on the door to get someone to open it.
Finally, we got keys to our room, drove around to it and hauled our gear in. The keys didn't work so we had to repeat the routine of trying to get into the lobby.
We wanted to use the spa and it was open until 11. It was part of the original property we had gone to. Once we figured out how to walk there, it was lovely. The parking lots were dark and it was a little dicey getting over there. I don't think I would have made the walk on my own.
The room was adequate but not entirely clean. Someone had used the kitchen before us and there were some dirty items. The bathrooms seemed clean.
Overall, you get a lot of space for the money at this property. if you want to sleep several family members in one room, this could be a good choice.

Room Tip: There are 2 bedroom suites with pullout sofa in living room if you need the sleeping space for 5 or...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Katie G, General Manager at Residence Inn Stockton, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for staying with on your trip from Portland. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious rooms, the do allow larger families to share a larger room. It also sounds like you arrived at our Courtyard by Marriott property originally, our Residence Inn directional signs at the entrance can easily be driven past. I apologize for the confusion. We absoloutely clean and inspect every part of our rooms. Sometimes, wear on the kitchen amenities can make them appear as though they are unclean. I do hope that you reported this so that we could replace and address your concerns. However, I will also make sure to bring your feedback to my staff's attention. Thank you for your review and we hope you stay with us on your next trip.
La Grange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a perfect place to stay!! The room was fabulous...like having our own little apartment!! Clean, kitchenette with everything you can imagine, small living room with fireplace, two separate bedrooms each with their own bathrooms & tvs. Lots of places to eat & things to do nearby. Wouldn't hesitate to reserve a room here again. Enjoy!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3Susan3C, we appreciate your wonderful review and entusiasm about our hotel. We are pleased to be considered the "perfect place to stay!' Our location certianly makes it easy to access areas of interest in the Stockton area, while our rooms make it is easy to unwind. Thank you again and make sure to come visit and stay with us next time you are in Stockton!
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The location for this hotel is great, it was easily one of the nicest and least threatening areas of Stockton to be in. The staff was always very nice and helpful, and the property itself is well maintained.
The room upon first inspection was surprisingly nice and modern looking. Unfortunately the longer I stayed the more small problems I noticed hiding just below the surface. First the water in the kitchen would loose all pressure and start making awful noises if I tried to turn it to cold. Second, the WiFi is painfully slow. Third, the bathroom was poorly designed, the sink and the toilet were in different rooms and the door to the toilet blocked the sink when it was open. Fourth, and perhaps weirdest of all, I'm pretty sure there were owls living in the attic on my wing. I couldn't hear them in my room because I was on the second floor, but whenever I was outside I could hear something scurrying about up there hooting.
Over all though, it wasn't too bad, lots of minor annoyances combined to knock it down a point in my mind.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Katie G, General Manager at Residence Inn Stockton, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Jeremy K, thank you so much for your review of the Residence Inn Stockton! I was certainly surprised to hear about the noise disturbance and am happy to report that no owls have been found in the attic. Since your stay with us in August, we have also upgraded our internet bandwidth substantially, I am sorry to hear that it was below par during your visit. I also hope that you reported the water pressure concern so we could take a look into that further. While the bathroom design was configured so multiple people could get ready for the day without steaming up the mirrors, I can understand how the door may get in the way slightly. We will also be undergoing a renovation to update our rooms later this year. We hope that when your travels bring you back through Stockton, you will remember the wonderful service you recieved!

Been to Residence Inn Stockton? Share your experiences!