“I wanted it love it...” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 466 Restaurants in Stockton
Stockton, CA
“I wanted it love it...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Yesterday was our second visit to French 25, our first visit was in August. With our first visit I thought that the issues we experienced would go away with a little time... They haven't.

First Issue
4 of the dishes we ordered, they did not have. 3 of them the waiter knew about and the 4th we didn't get until the order was placed with the kitchen. The waiter then said, "sometimes we have a run on items". It was 6pm on a Thursday night. Really?!?!

Second Issue
The waiter was extremely under trained. Twice he took one of our parties order than started to walk away before asking what the other person wanted. I have never had this happen to me in a restaurant before, and in this case it happened twice during our order.

The food at French 25 can be a welcome change. Stockton has too few many nice restaurants and I really wanted a new one to throw into the mix. They have too few options if you are trying to eat healthy, which would have been a deterrent for me anyhow, but the poor service and both visits where they were out of what we wanted to order (3 items first visit, 4 items second visit)

I am afraid we won't be returning. Too bad...

Visited October 2013

stockton, california
“Really Good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Visited this restaurant with a girlfriend. We had a ricotta appetizer that was yummy. I had Shrimp and grits. Very good. Nice atmosphere and great service. Definitely would recommend.

• Visited August 2013
Stockton, California
“A good choice for Stockton, well . . .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Great menu, delicious dishes, friendly and efficient waitpersons, light and airy, bread pudding to kill for. I hope they will begin to offer service on the roof with a great view of the port and the beautiful San Joaquin delta to the west. Highly recommended. But not if you have a party of eight. The only downer of this fine restaurant is the ridiculous add-on tip for parties of eight. Someone at French 25 should read the definition of "tip", which is a reward for exemplary service, a judgement that cannot be made by the patron if the tip is an add-on. Besides, there is less effort required to service a party of eight than for four parties of two. Too bad, French 25. Absent the compulsory "tip", I would have awarded five stars. I like this restaurant and will return, but not with a group.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stockton, California
“Good food - New Orleans style on the West Coast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Really good food! Highly recommend the raw oysters. Excellent! The seafood is fresh and the sauces are flavorful. An excellent place for lunch or dinner

• Visited April 2013
Calabasas, CA
“A gem in downtown Stockton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I came here today with local clients and thought it was excellent. One of the guys had been there several times and suggested a number of entrees, but he and I ended up with the halibut special with risotto. It was delicious. I also noticed that the cherry tomatoes actually had taste. Great attention to detail on an ingredient that is often an afterthought. The food at nearby tables looked great too and there was a frozen pie-like dessert that I would get if ever there in the evening.
Our waiter was very nice and attentive and the room itself was attractive and all new. Cost wasn't bad either.
I've travelled to Stockton several times and this is hands-down the best meal I've had there.
We walked a few blocks to get there, but I'm sure there is nearby parking.
One word of caution, downtown Stockton does feel a bit seedy. I would recommend parking close by, particularly in the evening. I would also suggest that women be accompanied in the evening.
Visit them and have a good time.

• Visited August 2013