“Not a safe place to spend the night” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Stockton

You added Red Roof Inn Stockton to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Stockton
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1707 W Fremont St, Stockton, CA 95203 (Formerly Best Value Inn)   |
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Stockton
Seattle
“Not a safe place to spend the night”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My son and I stayed in this hotel when we moved from WA to CA. We have stayed in a Red Roof Inn in Washington D.C., which was quite nice, so we did not hesitate to book this hotel. We wrongly assumed that all Red Roof Inns have more of less the same standard but that could not be further from the truth. The Red Roof Inn in DC was like a good Holiday Inn while the one in Stockton was more like a bad Travelodge.

First the pros of this hotel:

- the front desk people were quite pleasant and helpful
- there are many close circuit cameras around the hotel
- easy access to I-5

Now for the cons:

- we did not feel safe. There were half a dozen of loiterers around the hotel. I even heard the front desk lady threaten a loiterer on the 2nd floor to leave or she would call the police.
- we had a 2 bed room, which were all located at the back of the hotel. These rooms were right next to I-5, so they were very noisy. We could even feel the vibration.
- our room was filthy. I used my own towel and I wore my dirty travel clothes to bed.
- our minivan was full of things because of the move, and we did not feel that our things would be safe because there were loiterers in the parking lot with very loud music. Fortunately, we found a parking space in the line of sight from the office, and our van was not broken into.
- breakfast was meager - cereal, coffee, pastry, toast and juice.

We didn't sleep well and woke up at 5 am. When we went to the front desk to check out at about 6 am, we were surprised that more than half the vehicles parked there the previous evening were gone. Perhaps those guests were smarter than us and stayed elsewhere for the night.

Also, when we were checking out, there was a loiterer sitting in the lobby using the free wifi. From the demeanor of the front desk lady, I got the feeling that this loiterer was not a guest but she was afraid to ask him to leave.

I travel quite a lot and this is possibly my worst hotel stay. You could not pay me to stay here again. There are several hotels about 2 miles north on I-5 along March Lane. Pay a little more and stay there instead. Those hotels look much safer and they're in a much more convenient location. The is no restaurant near the Red Roof Inn; you have to go to March Lane for food.

After we checked out, we did some research on the Red Roof Inn and found that 2 people were found murdered in its parking lot.

A note to the management of the Red Roof Inn in Stockton:

If you can only do one thing to improve the hotel, I recommend you hire a full time security guard around the clock to get rid of people who do not belong from the property.

Room Tip: Rooms with 2 beds are at the back of the hotel, which is next to I-5. These rooms were very noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
redroofstockton, Webmaster at Red Roof Inn Stockton, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for being at the Red Roof Inn.

We have also noticed the review.

The hotel management has taken strict action to ensure that our guests get a secure and comfortable stay.

We are also investigating the entire incidence and as you have mentioned we have cc tv recordings to help us.

We are glad that you liked the front desk staff hospitality.

We assure you a safe and clean stay next time.

Please do visit us.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

i liked how everything was clean.The clerk was very nice and professional i would stay there again. The only thing i would recommend is a ice machine on the third floor. I will definitely tell my family and friends about the red roof inn. I also like the late night special keep up the good work.

• Stayed November 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

My mother and I were moving from washington to california and after all day driving we finally found a hotel online, the red roof inn. When we got there it seemed okay right after we checked in two men came out and just kept watching us, and one starts following us. We decided to go to dinner but felt so uncomfortable we brought our electronics with. While we were gone we did more research and the day before someone had been murdered there. We came back and found two men around one of our vehicles and what looked like casing it. During the short time there we also saw drug dealing and prostitution in the parking lot. We went back to the room and looked around the sheets were dirty the bathroom was gross. So we decided we'd leave and because after 6pm we couldnt get a refund. We spent the night sleeping in our car at a rest stop where we felt safer at than that hotel. Do not stay here! Worst mistake!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for being at the Red Roof Inn.

We have received similar complaints from few other esteemed guests who stayed at that time. Our apologies for the inconvenience howsoever.

We have made complete arrangements to augment safety and security for our guests. The cleanliness and amenities of the rooms are being checked and confirmed before checking in a new guest.

Please visit us again and have a new experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Front desk very friendly, the room was very clean comfortable bed they have fridge, microwave hairdryer, is not to noise I had a very good sleep. I recommed people to came here. fear price.......................................................

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Terrible place. Got a room went to and it looked at it and decided not to stay there. The worst part was they refused to refund me for the room and then later charged me for two nights. Had to dispute charges to my credit card company because the manager was so rude. Avoid at all cost.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Red Roof Inn during your last visit to our area.

We appreciate you for the review and regret the experience regarding the charge issue.

We have attended all the rooms and amenities and also the hotel staff has been given training to ensure that this does not happen again.

Systems have been put in place to ensure a nice stay to all our guests.

We hope that you will surely make a note of this and choose us once again to stay and have a new experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Luis made the hotel reservations pleasent in the middle of the night. I stopped at the river hotel with my motorhome. I was looking for a room to take a good shower, with clean towels, soap, shampoo, lotion, and clean sheets. i wanted a room quiet with a view of the river in the morning. I asked Luis if he could book a quiet room that included breakfast in the morning.
I wanted to get a good night sleep after taking a bath and washing my hair.

Luis said after breakfast you can enjoy a refreshing swim before leaving in your motorhome. The check out time is still 11:00 am.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the delta river on the south side second floor hotel guest can enjoy the sunrise in...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We recently decided to check around for different hotels in stockton. We have stayed at other hotels in the stockton area over the last few years, as we truck to this area twice a week. We were pleasantly surprised with the Red Roof Inn, and a very nice staff as well. From Luis, the day manager, to the day clerk, who I believe is Mrs. Patel, to the lady at night, all very accomadating. We especially like the microwave and fridg in the room. And all for a very fair price. Thank You, and hoping you continual good business.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Red Roof Inn Stockton? Share your experiences!