“Do not book this guesthouse online” 3 of 5 stars

You added Lieupi Mixay Guesthouse to your Saves list
Lieupi Mixay Guesthouse
Ban Phonesavanh kang Peak District, Xieng Khouang, Laos   |
Cairns, Australia
“Do not book this guesthouse online”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We booked this guesthouse for two nights even when there were no reviews available at that time.We traveled from Vinh, Vietnam to Phonsavan, Xieng Khouang Laos. Unfortunately our bus broke down and we arrived in Phonsavan at 1:00 am.The town was quiet no tuktuk available so we walked and later found this place. Its in the back of the main road but there is a sign pointing to the direction.I rang the bell and the night guy on duty came signalling that there was no room. I said we have booking and showed him the booking reference but the guy said no no.He doesn't speak English and walked away towards the hotel leaving us tired and cold and no bed for the night.No choice but to find another hotel.Finally after knocking on three hotel doors, one open up even its expensive we checked in. We checked out and returned to Lieupi Mixay to find out what's going on.A girl named My was on duty she worked as maid and in the reception.We tried to explain to her our situation but she doesn't speak English she just keep on smiling while the bird on the cage was chirping loudly grrrrrrr.We spoke to someone from Agoda who promised to call the guesthouse.She did, at that point My left the reception and when the phone rang she's nowhere to be found.Finally she came back but Agoda did not call again.We ask My if they have a room using words and sigh language, she led us to a room that cost 80.000 kip. Not bad at all, it was clean with tv and fan, hot water and far away from the bird.I told her again using words and sign language that we booked for two beds, she went on the upper floor, came back and said no.So we took the room but now she's asking 80,000 kip i thought she understood that we are already booked.We did not pay but she let us stay.The location is near Bamboozle and Nisha restaurant.The next morning check out time,My was not around yet it's still early the night guy was on duty. He's asking for 160,000 kip that includes our bill for laundry 80,000.We gave him 80,000 payment for the laundry only explaining in words and sign language that the room was already paid.No no he said. My partner called Agoda who told her that they already sent an email confirming our booking. I'm just wondering who's reading the email because i did not see a computer in the guesthouse and i did not see a manager.There were only three employees that i've seen My,the night guy and another maid.After a lot more explaining we gave up paid the bill and left.This guesthouse will suit a walk in guest not online booking.In fairness, the hotel was clean and they're cheap. And if ever i will go back to Phonsavan i will stay in this hotel but will not book online. And i will practice Lao language.Hopefully the bird will be gone by that time lol.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Badsnickerz

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

This is a middle of the road guesthouse, spotlessly clean, fair room with tv and fan, however they have a bird in a cage. If I had known this beforehand I would not have booked and paid in advance. This review is to put off those that find this upsetting.

• Stayed April 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had a really good stay at this place. It's in the guesthouse area, on the street parallel to the main road, not too far from Nice Guesthouse. Room with a big bed is 80,000, parking available, the room is clean and has hot water (no fridge). You can easily walk from here to Bamboozle and all the other backpacker oriented stuff. The only downside was being charged 120,000 for a moderate amount of laundry which seemed at least double the going rate of 15,000/kg. So in total I'd recommend this place but get your laundry done outside.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank travellinman2112

Been to Lieupi Mixay Guesthouse? Share your experiences!