“Terrible...not renovated...comes with ants!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Knights Inn Stanton

You added Knights Inn Stanton to your Saves list
Knights Inn Stanton
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11632 Beach Boulevard, Stanton, CA 90680 (Formerly Howard Johnson Inn Stanton)   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Stanton
Vancouver, Canada
“Terrible...not renovated...comes with ants!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

It does seem like they are renovating with the amount of material lying around outside.
Our rooms was TERRIBLE!!. Cracks in the bathroom tile with ants crawling around.
Bathroom had burn marks and dark scratches along the tub/shower. Sink had cracks and chips with mildew around the taps. Used Qtips left along the bed. So worried about bedbugs that I spent 2 hours phoning around at 2am after all day at Disneyland. Couldn't even dial out on the phone!! Found a wonderful place half hour away. I was out of there quick with a full refund. Will add pics once I upload them from my iPhone.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014 via mobile

booked 3 non smoking room for this weekend (actually just checked out) and one room that we got smelled cigarette smoke room 217,complain to the front, lady offered room 203 but smell is worst and all she said was they are fully booked and sorry...my sister full bottle of bath and body cologne is empty from frequent spraying...its a good thing were always out... and just stayed to sleep which were already very tired!!!the bathroom has hair in the floor in the side...i'm very unsatisfied with this hotel!!!just an advice to the management: to make sure to check all rooms for smoking and non smoking odor coz there is a reason why people chooses non smoking rooms...

• Stayed October 2014
Spring Valley, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

The beds were comfortable but that's as good as it gets. We got there finger nails and candy balls(I'm guessing whoppers) and cigarette bud underneath beds. Floor had a hole next to fridge. Bathroom was rusty. On top of that we go home to find a charge of 250$ charged to our account. We called back asking why since it was only a one night stay at 73.00. We were told its because we were smoking!!! My husband and I don't even smoke. So now we are being penalized for a horrible job done by the housekeeper for not picking up before we entered the room. Still waiting on issue to be resolved. Person who charged us was a woman named lily..and the guy we spoke to about resolving the issue is named ray. Don't stay here if you planned on gettn ripped off. If any one has info to contact the owners or someone to resolve this immediately please reply. Ty.

I forgot to mention jacuzzi was not close to warm..freezing as a matter of fact.

Room Tip: I honestly can't give a good tip for this place. Just take pics of everything in rooms before yo...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Amit B, General Manager at Knights Inn Stanton, responded to this review, October 20, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Our staff did reverse the $250 charge on your card. If you had several issues with the room then you should had advise the staff so we would had changed the room for you. Also we had you initial before checking in the room for our fees of smoking/ damages policy. We constantly check our rooms for any damages and it's quality.
San Juan Capistrano, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2014

OK, Dudes and Dudettes, time to learn to ignore OLD reviews of places...such as the old bad reviews of the Stanton, CA HoJo Inn. This place has done the biggest turnaround since The Bad News Bears. Read on, because this is long, but it matters:

Foolishly buying a prepaid room as cheap as I could in Orange County before reading its reviews, I bought a week at the Howard Johnson - Stanton. The reviews, here and elsewhere (which I read AFTER paying!) were so bad that I called the booking agency and said, "If it's really that bad, will you let me change after I see it." (They said yes.) I was astounded at what I found on arrival: THIS PLACE IS A SECRET JEWEL AND IT'S GOING TO GET BETTER.

I'd never heard of Stanton before, despite living in SoCal fora decade before moving. From the map, I was happy to see that the HoJo was within a mile of CA-22 Freeway, just east of I-405. This is a great location, only 20 minutes from Long Beach Airport (where I arrived), 20 minutes from Santa Ana/Orange County/John Wayne Airport, and not much more than 40 minutes from LAX, yet close to other freeways for easy access to southern LA County andall of OC. It's on Beach Road, which is a main CA highway with good shopping access and a direct route to the beaches of Huntington Beach, and close to Disney and Knotts to the east. So I was happy at the location, at least

Having read of the surly manager and the shoddy lobby, I was surprised at a cheery greeting in a very neat and clean combination lobby-breakfast area. My reservation was quickly found, and I was given a ground floor room as requested by a truly friendly manager whose constant smiles were welcome, and better than the usual, "Yeah, you're here" that one gets in even first class inns.

As I walked to my room, I noticed the parking lot was repaired and clean of even the slightest bit of litter, and saw the swimming pool as clean as anyone could want, with kids swimming. This was reassuring, since other reviews had spoken of it being dirty. There appears to be a spa, which I haven't checked, but which looks like it works, too.

When I entered my room I was prepared for the worst, and when I didn't see it, I went looking for it, literally: I strip-searched this room, and felt like an investigator for a Travel Channel show when I did, turning over all the bedding, looking at baseboards and inside drawers, checking walls, plumbing and everything else. I was astounded, literally, to find not a single defect in room quality: Linens were new, furniture, while dated, was without scars, carpeting was either new or freshly cleaned, and the bathroom sparkled. Yes, I saw a few places where wall painting was imperfect (I'm told that was from before the ownership change), but those were basically hidden. The new, HUGE, flat screen TV, the new clock radio, the iron and board and the nice (not fancy, but yeah nice) bath amenities said, "Hey, RussMan, you got REAL lucky here." No dust (I tried the white glove thingy with my fingertips, no smell in the bathroom, NOTHING WRONG, DAMMIT! Sheesh! There wasn't even any smell inside the newish fridge and microwave, and the coffee pot worked perfectly. Did I mention the 4 pillows (2 of them oversize) on the comfy bed? Hot water (almost too hot...the owners could save a few bucks by turning it down a little) was abundant, and the toilet was excellent, except that, being a newish "California 2 gallon" job, I've had to flush it twice a couple of times. That happens in the Ritz, too, I think.

Outside, the building is clean and maintained nicely, and I even watched one housekeeper sweeping cig butts from the pavement. Modest landscaping is nicely kept, too, and everything is clean. A large new ice machine is close at hand, and parking is abundant. There is free WiFi, and I saw the router, which pumps out a LOT of bandwidth, so it's FAST, too.

I was so astounded that I spent a little time talking with the manager, and today met the owner, Amit. Amit acquired the HoJo on July 27, and immediately got it functional. He plans to start actual room renovation soon to replace dated furniture and improve overall room quality, but he's made a huge difference already. Drawbacks? A few, and they're minor: Power plugs are used up with TV/fridge cords right by the desk, so a hardwired power strip would be nice. "Breakfast" is a bit skimpy, with just some packaged pastries and granola bars and coffee/tea; some fresh bagels/donuts from any of the nearby donut emporia would be smart, as would some bread and English muffins and a toaster. Juice, too, would be nice. But I got as much here as I've gotten in other "grab and go" places such as Extended Stay America or Red Roof, so this was fine.

I'm rating Amit's HoJo a "5" despite these minor issues, since I've never seen a place make such an incredible improvement, and given the proximity to a lot of tourist and business locations, this place is a diamond in the rough. If you have the chance, stay here; if you don't, your missing out. Trust me on this.

Room Tip: Beach Road is a major thoroughfare, so rooms near the back are probably quieter.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Been to Knights Inn Stanton? Share your experiences!