“Great mom n pop place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 73 Restaurants in Stanton
Anaheim, CA
“Great mom n pop place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

It was a lazy Saturday, and we had absolutely no lunch plans. Did we want pizza? or asian? or soup? Then we remembered Mama's Kabab! Half hour later we arrived at 2:00 pm for a late lunch, and was greeted by perhaps "Mama" herself?

I couldn't decide if I wanted the chicken kabab or the beef kufta so I got the combo. It looked like a lot of food (and in a way it was) but it wasn't as much as I thought for $12.99. They gave 3 cubes of chicken, 3 cubes of beef, and 2 strips of kufta with vegetables, a serving of rice, and 2 quarter pita covered with a red pickled type paste or sauce on top. Reminded me of a pizza without cheese or topping, only it wasn't tomato paste, and it had a kick!

In addition, for eating in, they gave us a basket of pita, a serving of hummus and a dish of pickles on the house.

The chicken was tender but not overly juicy, as was the beef cube. I guess being fresh off the grill, I expected it to be jucier. The kufta was tender but also not juicy. Perhaps too lean? Hence the -1 star for the meat.

Stephen had the lamb shank, which was a huge whole shank, also for $12.99, plus a vegetable type stew in a bowl, and rice. The broth of the vegetable stew was so good, we ladled it all over our rice.

Toward the end of our meal, the older gentleman came by with 2 pieces of baklava, complimentary dessert on the house.

I don't remember getting a garlic sauce, but perhaps its extra? Regardless, the food was delicious, and I'd go back again. I'd ask for my kufta to be cooked a little less, and maybe that'll make it more juicy.

The meal for 2 came to about $30