“Not sure about this place!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sequoia Kings Canyon Lodge Squaw Valley

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Squaw Valley
Sequoia Kings Canyon Lodge Squaw Valley
You added Sequoia Kings Canyon Lodge Squaw Valley to your Saves list
30894 E.Kings Canyon Road, Highway 180, Squaw Valley, CA 93675 (Formerly Squaw Valley Motel)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Squaw Valley
Phoenix, Arizona
“Not sure about this place!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We were coming out of Kings Canyon and it was really late at night and were happy to see a place with a vacancy. Stopped and got a room for $110 which was more than we wanted to pay but, we were tired and it was after 10 at night so we went ahead and stayed.
We had room #8 and wow is it ever tiny! Not only that, there is no hot water - not even a hint. The shower is standing room only. The floor is sinking in a few places.
The managers puppies were adorable and the beds were actually rather comfortable even if the one had a slope to it.
I would keep driving next time.

Stayed July 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sydney Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I'll try to be a bit upbeat but I'm afraid this 'Motel' makes the Bates Motel from 'Psycho' look 5 star !The list of No's is long , no coffee/tea, no fridge, no room to move (hence title), no breakfast ,no other guests etc, etc. The shower was designed for a midget and guess what ? No flow or next to none !! The operator would only take cash & at $65 a night it was no bargain. Her suggestion for dinner in Dunlap meant no food !! Closed !The prehistoric heater made so much noise I turned it off , so no heat !! Also a sign on the office said "No cameras or Tape Recorders" ??? What , no evidence ? It was late on Super Bowl Sunday and it was the only place we found open but never again, no way !! Also note the business name has changed to 'Sequoia Kings Canyon Lodge' which sounds grand but NO , it ain't !!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Squaw Valley hotels

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Booked in here whilst visiting Kings Canyon NP. Couldn't stay in the park as it was full. We are led to believe that his motel is approximately 20 miles outside the park but it's a straight road with little traffic and some great scenerey. Only stayed 1 night. Booked in advance and paid a resonable price. In our opinion the room was unusually basic, very tired and worn with no fridge, microwave, coffee maker, small TV with fewer than normal channels. No ice making machine at motel (but owner gave us some of his ice) Tried to use the swimming pool but no light on so difficult. Don't remember any AC in our room. Daily temperature was in excess of 100 fh so very hot. No complimentry breakfast. Wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We had left Fresno a little late after being unimpressed with the accommodation on offer, we were starting to worry that we might need to sleep in the car! We looked at one or two decidedly dodgy places in small towns just off the highway, then found the oasis that is the Squaw Valley Motel.
The room was small, but spotless. The shower worked fine, and this place ticked all the boxes for a one night stopover
The motel looks exactly what we imagined a US Highway motel from the fifties or sixties would be like, set back from the road and park outside. Not sure I'd want to spend a week here, but would use again for a one night stopover.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Coromandel, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Extremely small room, but only paid $55. Had a swim in motel pool. Used communal fridge and freezer. Probably would not stay again as size of ensuite and room was an issue. Motel proprietor was polite. Grounds were very run down. Close proximity to the two N.P.'s had a bearing on us staying here.

Room Tip: Make sure you view the room before committing. There are rooms at the back of the property which may...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I recently stayed at this motel due to work, it was the only place that we could get, I had been there for work a few weeks prior to this day at which time I stayed in another room next door to the to the room I stayed in this time. Room munber 2.

However I was getting ready for bed and I felt something crawling on me so i killed it, then I got up to take a closer look at which time i saw nothing. So I went to bed and woke up the next morning to get ready for work when I grabbed my work pants off of the bed and seen the bed Bug crawl out. It was disgusting. A little while later at work I realized that i had numerous bites all over my entire body. I callled the motel and spoke with the owner and he stated to me" that maybe one of the earlier guest must have brought them in". However due to the amount of bites that I hav, they surely must have known long before now that this problem existed. Yet they still continue to rent this room out to unsuspecting people like my self and other travelers and that is just plain wrong. So I'm calling the health department to report this problem, so that the general public is not at risk of taking these bed bugs home to their families or bring their families into a place like this..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Victoria, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The plan was to camp at Kings Canyon National Park, but our GPS plotted a route from Yosemite through Sierra National Forest – a route that, as daylight was beginning to fade and our gas tank was running uncomfortably low, we realized was not going to take us to our destination. While trying to retrace our route around a reservoir in the forest, we met a group of boaters/campers, and thanks to their kindness in giving us directions and five gallons of gas, we were able to make it to Highway 180 – which would have been the smart route to have taken in the first place. Stopping in Squaw Valley to fill up the tank, we noticed a motel next to the gas station, so rather than proceed to Kings Canyon and have to pitch a tent in the dark, we decided to check in.

This is a mom-and-pop style motel, probably built in the ‘50s when life was simpler, so don’t expect large rooms or too many amenities. However, it’s spotlessly clean, the bed and pillows were comfortable, the towels were new and fluffy, there was plenty of hot water, the air conditioning was efficient, and the rooms – I recall seeing only about eight – are set back far enough from the road that you don’t hear traffic. Best of all, there was a patio/picnic area behind the office where we could set up our camp stove, prepare an evening meal and eat in comfort. (There’s a pizza place on the other side of the motel if you’re not planning on cooking, but that may be the only dining option in Squaw Valley.) Next to the patio is a very nice little pool where, as the friendly host explained, you can swim “till you can’t see any more.” Just as there’s no set closing time for the pool, there’s no particular opening hour in the morning, so no problem taking a dip before you hit the road.

This isn’t what most people would call destination accommodation, but it was such a welcome haven when we came upon it that we’d have been happy to stay again on our way out of Kings Canyon had the timing been right. For $65 a night, including tax, in the high season, this surely has to be one of the better deals in the vicinity of a major national park.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sequoia Kings Canyon Lodge Squaw Valley? Share your experiences!