“Clean, Comfortable & Very convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Chicago, Illinois
“Clean, Comfortable & Very convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I usually stay away from Quality Inns as they are generally hand-me-downs and getting past their prime. This location has always been an exception (Stayed here 5 times so far). The rooms are always clean and well maintained. They have a micro and fridge. There is an exercise room and the internet is a good speed. Basic breakfast and the staff is always friendly. Channel line is average but changing channels is s-l-o-w.
Really shines on convenience. Its just 2 minutes north of the car rental facility on South Airport road. There are a number of restaurants up the road as well as gas stations. If your stuck for the night and have to kill time, just over the highway (4 minutes away) is a large mall and multi-screen theatre and more restaurants. A big bonus, your right next door to the See's candy outlet.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Clean, very affordable rooms in a perfect location to get you to the airport fast. I booked a Suite on the 3rd floor which met my needs very well. The room was very clean, the bed was extremely comfortable. The shower could have been a little hotter in the morning, though...

Don't forget to book your ride to the airport in the morning with the front desk before going to bed at night! I wasn't told that that you had to "reserve" a cab ride to the airport when I checked in at 8 pm, but the morning front desk manager took care of it for me while he was making the early morning breakfast (which was very nice for budget motel).

The motel apparently has decided to ferry people to and from the airport using a local cab service instead of running their two airport vans that still sit in the back of the parking lot. I'm sure that they came to this conclusion to cut down on operating costs while the economy repairs itself, but the cab ride works for me! The cost is the hotel's and the ride to my airline and terminal was in less than 10 minutes at 5:45 am.

I WILL stay there again on my next visit to San Francisco!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

This is the second time I stay at this Hotel and my experiance was very enjoyable... The rooms were very clean and smelled great, as did the rest of the hotel ( very important in my book). Overall I high recomend this hotel when traveling to san francisco, they offer great rates , with out lowering the standards and quality of thier service....

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

The staff where kind, courteous and helpful. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary in San Francisco, and stayed over one night at Quality Inn and they gave us an upgrade on our room at no extra charge!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Heatland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Had planned to use this hotel as my base and ride the BART back and forth into downtown SF for business to avoid the outrageous hotel rates in SF. Got to the SF airport and called the hotel to request the shuttle and was told the shuttle was out of service and they would reimburse me for the cab fare. Figured the shuttle must have broken down or something, no big deal. Got to the hotel and found out the shuttle was going to be out of service for the foreseeable future even though there were two busses parked at the back of the lot. Explained that I was going to need multiple trips to-from the airport and it was suggested that I use the city bus. The nearest stop is only about a block away. Not exactly what I had in mind when I decided to stay in the hotel. The bus was okay, only cost $2 each way, took 10-15 minutes, probably ran as often as the shuttle would have, and the driver on the first trip was very helpful in letting me know where to get off at the airport. However, the published bus schedule did not seem to have a whole lot of relationship to when the bus showed up. You just had to go the stop and wait for the next bus to come by which, during busy times, is every 20-30 minutes. I had an early morning departure my last day and the hotel arranged for and paid for a car to take me. Don’t know how long it will be before the shuttle is back in service. If you are just making one round trip from-to the airport, the current arrangement is probably better than a shuttle since you take a taxi or car when you need it, don’t have to wait around for the shuttle, and the hotel picks up the cost. However, if you plan to make multiple trips and end up using the bus, it is a bit of a pain in the rear.

So now that you have heard my grip, let’s get on with reviewing the hotel. It is a petty typical Quality Inn. The hotel appeared to be well maintained and clean even though it was showing some minor wear and tear. The room was nice sized and well equipped. In addition to the bed, which was just okay, there was a couch, a work desk, a refrigerator, a microwave, and a coffee pot. The internet connection (wired not wifi) is included. I used it quite a bit and it was always fast. The room appeared clean. However, when I first entered it, it did not smell very good. Could not quite pin down the odor but think it was musty smell with a bit of air freshener to cover it up. The bathroom had a strong musty odor but there was no evidence of mold or other source. I was able to work in the room with the window open which helped quite a bit. Unfortunately, my room faced Airport Blvd which is quite busy and there is no way I could sleep with the window open. I was gone during the day but the same thing with respect to odors when I came back in the evening. The closed window did do a good job of blocking out the street noise.

The trash in the bathroom had not been emptied from the previous guest and the trash can was about half full. There was a partially used sample bottle of shampoo in the shower. Just back of the toilet seat several long coarse black hairs were very plain to see. Clearly the bathroom had not been thoroughly cleaned. The bathroom was appropriately serviced the next day but the long hairs on the toilet remained. It appears there are some problems with housekeeping which was rather surprising given how clean the hotel appeared, in general.

The front desk staff was friendly, efficient, and helpful and I interacted with 3 or 4 different people during my stay. The breakfast was decent. Several hot items plus the usual cereals, yogurt, pastries, juices, fruit, etc. Certainly plenty to get a good start in the morning.

You have to walk a ways to get to a restaurant, except for McDonalds which is across the street. Never did really figure out whether it was a safe neighborhood at night. There is a lot of road traffic, particularly on Airport Blvd, but when I was walking to go eat at night or to catch the bus early in the morning, I was absolutely the only person in sight on the side walk or at the bus stop. Nothing at all threatening but a definitely a bit spooky.

There are a about a half dozen other hotels in the same general area. If I have reason to use a SF airport hotel in the future, I will probably try out a different one. However, if the Quality Inn were the only place available, I would be okay going back.

Room Tip: If you plan to use the shuttle, call ahead to make sure it is in service.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I really appreciated the attention I received from the front desk. They were friendly and helpful. I plan to make this my "go to" hotel when in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I just spent the night there before flying out and it was horrible. I've stayed at comfort inns before and have never had such a bad experience. The sofa was so old and dirty with ripped fabric that I was afraid to sit on it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
qualityinnsanfrancis, Webmaster at Quality Inn & Suites -- South San Francisco, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn & Suites -- South San Francisco for your recent stay in our area. I am so sorry that it was such a bad experience.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Quality Inn & Suites -- South San Francisco. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Been to Quality Inn & Suites -- South San Francisco? Share your experiences!