“Great staff and service” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Redding, California
“Great staff and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

The staff where kind, courteous and helpful. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary in San Francisco, and stayed over one night at Quality Inn and they gave us an upgrade on our room at no extra charge!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

229 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Heatland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Had planned to use this hotel as my base and ride the BART back and forth into downtown SF for business to avoid the outrageous hotel rates in SF. Got to the SF airport and called the hotel to request the shuttle and was told the shuttle was out of service and they would reimburse me for the cab fare. Figured the shuttle must have broken down or something, no big deal. Got to the hotel and found out the shuttle was going to be out of service for the foreseeable future even though there were two busses parked at the back of the lot. Explained that I was going to need multiple trips to-from the airport and it was suggested that I use the city bus. The nearest stop is only about a block away. Not exactly what I had in mind when I decided to stay in the hotel. The bus was okay, only cost $2 each way, took 10-15 minutes, probably ran as often as the shuttle would have, and the driver on the first trip was very helpful in letting me know where to get off at the airport. However, the published bus schedule did not seem to have a whole lot of relationship to when the bus showed up. You just had to go the stop and wait for the next bus to come by which, during busy times, is every 20-30 minutes. I had an early morning departure my last day and the hotel arranged for and paid for a car to take me. Don’t know how long it will be before the shuttle is back in service. If you are just making one round trip from-to the airport, the current arrangement is probably better than a shuttle since you take a taxi or car when you need it, don’t have to wait around for the shuttle, and the hotel picks up the cost. However, if you plan to make multiple trips and end up using the bus, it is a bit of a pain in the rear.

So now that you have heard my grip, let’s get on with reviewing the hotel. It is a petty typical Quality Inn. The hotel appeared to be well maintained and clean even though it was showing some minor wear and tear. The room was nice sized and well equipped. In addition to the bed, which was just okay, there was a couch, a work desk, a refrigerator, a microwave, and a coffee pot. The internet connection (wired not wifi) is included. I used it quite a bit and it was always fast. The room appeared clean. However, when I first entered it, it did not smell very good. Could not quite pin down the odor but think it was musty smell with a bit of air freshener to cover it up. The bathroom had a strong musty odor but there was no evidence of mold or other source. I was able to work in the room with the window open which helped quite a bit. Unfortunately, my room faced Airport Blvd which is quite busy and there is no way I could sleep with the window open. I was gone during the day but the same thing with respect to odors when I came back in the evening. The closed window did do a good job of blocking out the street noise.

The trash in the bathroom had not been emptied from the previous guest and the trash can was about half full. There was a partially used sample bottle of shampoo in the shower. Just back of the toilet seat several long coarse black hairs were very plain to see. Clearly the bathroom had not been thoroughly cleaned. The bathroom was appropriately serviced the next day but the long hairs on the toilet remained. It appears there are some problems with housekeeping which was rather surprising given how clean the hotel appeared, in general.

The front desk staff was friendly, efficient, and helpful and I interacted with 3 or 4 different people during my stay. The breakfast was decent. Several hot items plus the usual cereals, yogurt, pastries, juices, fruit, etc. Certainly plenty to get a good start in the morning.

You have to walk a ways to get to a restaurant, except for McDonalds which is across the street. Never did really figure out whether it was a safe neighborhood at night. There is a lot of road traffic, particularly on Airport Blvd, but when I was walking to go eat at night or to catch the bus early in the morning, I was absolutely the only person in sight on the side walk or at the bus stop. Nothing at all threatening but a definitely a bit spooky.

There are a about a half dozen other hotels in the same general area. If I have reason to use a SF airport hotel in the future, I will probably try out a different one. However, if the Quality Inn were the only place available, I would be okay going back.

Room Tip: If you plan to use the shuttle, call ahead to make sure it is in service.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I really appreciated the attention I received from the front desk. They were friendly and helpful. I plan to make this my "go to" hotel when in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I just spent the night there before flying out and it was horrible. I've stayed at comfort inns before and have never had such a bad experience. The sofa was so old and dirty with ripped fabric that I was afraid to sit on it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
qualityinnsanfrancis, Webmaster at Quality Inn & Suites -- South San Francisco, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn & Suites -- South San Francisco for your recent stay in our area. I am so sorry that it was such a bad experience.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Quality Inn & Suites -- South San Francisco. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.
Punta Gorda, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

A fine choice for those coming into or going out of SFO. It is a typical Quality Inn and could probably stand a little freshening up. (Carpets are a bit overworn and the hallway lighting is underbright), but it offers proximity and a decent price for travelers. Breakfast is standard fare for Quality Inn, meaning fair coffee, a few rolls and muffins and a toaster and waffle-maker.
Front desk service varies from downright rude to extra-special. The overnight clerk was quite bothered and of little use when we asked about finding a parking space (there was none), but another clerk, Tim, was pleasant, generous with his time, and helpful with his advice and directions.
This hotel fills up early and often. With the rental-car drop-off less than a mile away and on the same road, this was a perfect choice for us and we recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
hospitalitywithsmile, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites -- South San Francisco, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for your comments. Your review helps us make it better in future.
Woodstock, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

My husband and I traveled to S. San Francisco the first week of Septermber for our ten year anniversary. On the second day we were on our way to Monteray and the hotel called my husband to say that they had found my passport and my checkbook in the desk drawer. i was stunned and relieved. My identity could have easily been stolen. If we had not gotten such a prompt call our vacation would have been ruined. We would have had to drive all the way back to S. San Francisco to retreive my identification. I have stayed in hotels and left stuff behind to find that the cleaning staff 'never found anything' and never called. Thank you so much Mr. Patel for your swift and considerate action. It is nice to know that honest people still exist.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on the Anniversary, Hope you had a Good One. & thank you for the good review.
Sao Jose dos Campos
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

I chose this hotel based on my budget abd trip advisor notes. It was very good. I do not have anything to "complain" just some comments to add. The room was clean, free parking, free wi-fi, good breakfast.
However, the decoration of the room was not so modern, it was a little bit old. The TV was not LCD/LED, it is the ancient one, but ok. There was a noise in the bathroom when I turned the lights on which bothered me a little but this was not a problem.
The hotel is 16 km from the tourist attractions (fisherman's wharf) but if you have a car, ok!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
hospitalitywithsmile, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites -- South San Francisco, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for your valuable review, and now we have started replacing the TVs with Flat screen 32" LCD. Hope to make your next stay more enjoyable.

Been to Quality Inn & Suites -- South San Francisco? Share your experiences!