“Nice staff, nice hotel - just one suggestion” 5 of 5 stars

Park, Stay and Go Package
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia
“Nice staff, nice hotel - just one suggestion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We had a good stay here and definitely wouldn't hestiate to stay here again. The hotel was clean, staff was very nice and helpful -- five stars. The location was about 15 minutes from downtown San Francisco, but given the parking situation downtown, I was happy to come back each day to a big open lot at this hotel.

I only have one suggestion -- morning coffee is VERY important to me, and the Garden Inn's coffee area is poorly designed. It needs a retrofit, or a new location! When I fix my coffee, I want the items lined up in order: cup, coffee, creamer, sugars, stirrers, TRASH CAN, cardboard thingy, napkin. Unfortunately the counter space alloted for coffee is crescent shaped and tiny, so the items are squished on there all out of order: napkins, stirrers, lids, cardboard thingys, cups, coffee, cream, sugar, trash can. Every day I started in the middle with my cup and coffee, then went right for cream and splenda, then went left for stirrers and lids and napkins, then dropped half my trash on the way back to the trash can on the right. At the same time, other guests are doing the same back and forth, as we trip over each other. Plus there's hardly any space to put your cup down while you fix it. By my last day it was a running joke with my husband. I wish the hotel could allot a different location for this very important guest service! Otherwise, this place is terrific.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel! I was thrilled to find out how much you enjoyed your stay with us!

Also, thank you for the comments about the coffee station. All Hilton Garden Inns have the same setup but we will be updating the look by the end of this year to make it flow much better. We will change it today but as you mentioned the counter space does not allow for it.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit!

Ryan Frederick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

From the phone call to book the hotel 'til the time we left, we had a great experience. The staff was AWESOME! Very friendly staff at the desk, the food was terrific and the service was all we could ask for. We ate and drank at the restaurant/bar and I LOVED the quesadillas. Everyone was very helpful and accurate suggesting things we'd want to see and places to eat. Everything was very clean. The Caltrain station was very close by via shuttle (a little far to walk- maybe a mile or less) which got us into the city and back easily. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel for a number of reasons, but primarily the great staff. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you so much for leaving such a wonderful review about our hotel! I especially enjoyed your comment about our staff being awesome!

I was thrilled to hear you took advantage of our restaurant as well. We take a lot of pride in providing world class service and food quality!

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit!

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We booked a 1 night stay at this hotel in June 2012.

Arrival

We arrived at the HGI SFO North and found plenty of parking in the large car park right out front.

A polite and friendly lady checked us in at the front desk and we were assigned a room on the 4th floor.

Room

First impressions were very good, 2 beds, large bathroom and a big TV. However, it quickly became evident that it was a noisy room (with a connecting door). We didn't think too much of it and decided to pop out to the store and to complete some laundry.

When we came back, we would a group of 5-10 older teenagers all hanging around in the hall right outside our room. Upon entering our room, we could hear a lot of noise from the room next door. As we had had a long flight and needed a good night sleep, we decided to visit the front desk to change rooms.

We were told we could be relocated to the 3rd floor to a much quieter room. The front desk clerk did say that she wasn't sure why we had been assigned our original room as their was a prom party who had rented out most of the rooms on that floor!!! It was a hassle and clearly better planning is needed.

Facilities

There is a laundry room and pool available at the hotel. There are 2 washers and 2 dryers in the laundry room - $1 each in quarters - be sure to bring your own quarters as the front desk and restaurant didn't have any change so we had to go out of the hotel to find quarters.

Free WIFI is good in the room, slow but good enough to browse the internet.

Problems

Firstly - our toilet blocked in the morning, we called maintenance who came to fix the problem. Unfortunately it wasn't fixed and we didn't want to wait for maintenance to come back so we ended up using the public toilets near the pool and left.

Also - BEWARE - we had a very negative experience during our stay. My friend purchased some laundry detergent from the front desk. He was not a guest at the hotel and spent $3 on his credit card. We later discovered that the hotel had charged him for the $3 PLUS $17! Initially it was impossible to get help from anyone at the hotel - the service was AWFUL - repeated phone calls and no one would help us. Eventually we turned to the HGI Facebook page and it was escalated to the GM. He looked into the issue and advised that they had not processed the $17 - however, it is still showing as being "held" by HGI. This will take 28 days to be removed. I appreciate mistakes happen, but it shouldn't be this hard to resolve or get hold of someone.

Overall - the hotel itself is nice, the location is good and I wouldn't be deterred from staying here. However, I was disappointed with the initial support from the staff when an issue arose. This put a bitter taste in our mouths about our experience. In addition, it wasted a few hours from our vacation PLUS cost of calls for something that was not our fault.

Room Tip: Request a non-connecting room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel. I am very embarrassed you received this kind of service initially at our hotel. I can assure you this is not how we operate and have addressed this issue to ensure future guests do not have the same experience. Please know we take extreme pride in guest service and cleanliness.

We hope you will give us another try on your next visit to San Francisco!

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I recently stayed for one night at this Garden Inn just north of SFO. Their airport van is very quick and efficient. They even called me back when they couldn't locate me right away (which was my fault). Airport pickup to lobby drop off was less than 10 minutes.

The front desk staff was very welcoming and pleasant. I am no longer a "status" member but they still provided me two bottles of complimentary water which I thought was a nice gesture. The room was clean and comfortable (e.g. standard Hilton decor). King bed was fine. I didn't try the "sleep comfort" setting on the bed. Shower pressure was fine for me. Wifi was complimentary throughout the hotel and fast enough for most websurfing. My test showed about 1.5Mbps down and up. No problems with Apple FaceTime to see the kids!

Room service was quick and the food was actually pretty good. Everyone I met seemed to be genuinely friendly. Breakfast was buffet style and priced on par with other hotels I've stayed at this level. Again, staff was friendly and really serviced me. Breakfast food was very good as well.

My travels were in the immediate area of the hotel so I can't comment on ease of getting into downtown SF from this location but I will say that the van/shuttle service is a definite plus for getting around the immediate area and airport.

My rate seemed on the higher side as compared to similar hotels in an "industrial park" location but I would recommend this hotel for it's staff and accommodating attitude. I only remember the names of Alex and Rich from the front desk but really everyone was great.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about your recent stay with us! Sounds like you enjoyed everything from our convenient shuttle to and from the airport, genuine service by all team members, food quality and guest room.

Also, thank you for mentioning Alex and Rich specifically and I will make sure to personally recognize each of them as well as the team for showcasing our clean and friendly hotel!

We look forward to your next visit!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Our stay in this hotel was quite nice. Clean comfortable rooms that weren't over-priced like most downtown hotels. Free parking-yes, free. Something you don't get downtown. With a price about $100 a night less than most downtown hotel chains, and no parking charges, which can run up to $60 a day, it was a great find! Team that with the very helpful staff, and this hotel is definitely going to get my business again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ryan F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed our very helpful team and our free parking!

We look forward to your next visit and thank you for giving us your business!

Folsom, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed here on two occasions on back to back weeks for two nights each. Overall, the staff was pleasant but not overly friendly. The only real issue I had was with the beds in both rooms. They need to change the mattresses as they are caved in on both sides with a high point down the middle. I recently ran into this in another Hilton Garden Inn, as well, but this issue was more pronounced at this property. I was concerned about being close to the freeway but this is not an issue as I stayed in rooms on either side of the hotel and freeway noise was not an issue in either room. The spa is indoors.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ryan F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel! It was great to hear you stayed with us twice and you found our team to be friendly.

I sincerely apologize you found our beds to be uncomfortable; I have already shared your comments with our maintenance department to ensure future guests are not affected.

We look forward to your next visit with us! Have a wonderful day!

Agoura Hills
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This hotel has an amazing restaurant and an outstanding staff. My husband and I stayed here for three days because it was the only thing available during graduation weekend at SFSU. We had stayed at other hotels in this industrial complex and thought we knew what to expect. Aside from the fact that all of the hotels in this area are in a wind pocket (with moderate to high winds regardless of the general weather pattern), the location is convenient to freeways and, if you have a car, not too far from the general SF attractions. We were tired upon arrival from our long drive and, as it was fairly late, opted (reluctantly) to eat in the hotel's dining room. Against my better judgement, I ordered the broiled salmon and was absolutely floored by the meal. The salmon was fresh and perfectly done. The side veggies were steamed to perfection and refreshingly not diminished by too much oil or disguising sauce. The roasted herb potatoes were spot on. In all, a delightfully delicious dining experience. The restaurant staff could not have been more charming and the manager stopped by every table to inquire if all was satisfactory. Our room was fine, well-appointed, and immaculately clean. My only complaint was the Hilton's choice of providing "Sleep Number" beds. Having owned one and ultimately tossing it, I was not looking forward to spending the night on what is basically a very expensive air mattress. This said, I ended up sleeping fairly well. Also, the heating/AC system was both noisy and either too hot or too cold. This was easily remedied by turning the thermostat off. In all, we found our stay at the Hilton Garden Inn to be comfortable, convenient, and quite pleasant. We will definitely be making reservations here for our future visits.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Ryan F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel! I read your review with great pride and I could not agree with you more the Food & Beverage team does an outstanding job!

I am very happy you stayed with us and we look forward to your next visit! Have a wonderful day!

Ryan Frederick

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North? Share your experiences!