“Good with some takeaways” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

You added Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront to your Saves list
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1350 Veterans Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Holiday Shopping Package
Anaheim, California
“Good with some takeaways”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is located near a corporate complex just north of SFO in South San Francisco. It is also between the SF Bay and the Bart and Caltrain tracks. Trains will park at a signal adjacent to the hotel and wait for passing trains, and the diesel fumes get pretty bad at times outside the hotel. Close to the 101 highway exit Oyster Point Blvd, but may be slightly difficult to find because it is behind the corporate complex.

There is a complimentary shuttle that goes to the SFO airport and also a complimentary shuttle that runs only on Fridays and Saturdays of most months that takes you to Pier 39 and back. The last shuttle to Pier 39 returns at 5:45pm, so you will need to take a taxi, Bart or Caltrain to get back after that time. The shuttle is run by a third party and stops at about 5 or 6 other hotels in Oyster Point, but the total time to get to SF is still about 40 minutes. Our shuttle was about 30 minutes late.

The Residence Inn while dated and in need of a make over was solidly booked on the Memorial Day weekend. While our room was clean, the furnishings need to be replaced especially the sofa and desk chair where the leather was cracked and losing its black dye. The walls also needed minor repair and repainted. The hotel has a reception in the evenings on Mon Tue and Wed only.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mark J, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for you taking the time to give feedback on your stay at the Oyster Point Residence Inn. We are glad to hear that the complimentary shuttle to Pier 39 and the airport was useful to you. We appreciate your comments about the room condition and are happy to announce that we will be getting a hotel renovation in November 2013. We will be renovating all guest suites and replacing sofas and desk chairs. We continue to put focus on all our suites to ensure they are well maintained and clean. We hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Our family of five stayed here for a soccer tournament. This is the only hotel in the area where we can get a 2 bedroom & 2 bathroom suite. Quiet location, but no restaurants nearby so bring snacks unless you plan to drive a few miles for meals. Decent breakfast included in the morning, and free parking and Wifi. Friendly staff. Would recommend, especially for families.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for you taking the time to give feedback on your stay at the Oyster Point Residence Inn. I am pleased to hear that the staff was friendly, hotel in a quiet location and how convenient it was for your family. We do have a full service restaurant "The Bistro" located right next door at the Courtyard that serves dinner from 5pm to 10 pm. daily. It is a great option if you do not want to leave the hotel for dinner. Thank you again for your comments.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel is very typical of what one might find at most Residence Inns. There's not a lot to make it stand out either on the outstandingly positive side, nor is there anything very negative. However, I will point out a few things.
The staff at the front desk was very prompt, polite, and attentive. The individual who checked me in even remembered my name later in the day. The hotel and the room I stayed in were very clean, however, this is my expectation from every hotel. The wifi worked as well as any hotel I've stayed, which is good! Breakfast is free, as it is at any Residence Inn. The breakfast choices were standard that one would find at other Marriotts. Just a pet peeve of mine was that my room was not ready with the preferences I had made when I had booked the room online, not was I identified as being a Marriott gold rewards member when I checked in, which is typical of the Marriott chain (I had to ask if they had my rewards number on file since they didn't mention it...they did). But like I said, that is only my own minor pet peeve.
Probably the only real negative about the hotel is something that is not in their control...a Caltrans train loudly passes by the hotel at regular, frequent intervals. There was also a lot of noise that I could hear from the freeway.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your response about your recent stay with us at the Oyster Point Residence Inn. We appreciate your nice comments about the prompt, polite, and attentive service and that we remembered your name. We take pride in our service and glad that we could take care of you efficiently. I do apologize about not acknowledging your Gold Elite status and your requests as our Elite members are very important to us. We do hope you give us another opportunity to show you we value your business.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed here for a one night stopover on our way to Mendocino.

The grounds are very nice and attractive, the check in was efficient and friendly.

The one room suite we had was very comfortable, had a kitchen, very well appointed. Typical Marriott calibre. We were allowed to use the indoor pool at the Courtyard next door because it was too cold for the outdoor pool at the Residence.

Breakfast was decent, not too many healthy options but tasty, the kids were happy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mark J, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your response concerning your recent stay with us at the Oyster Point Residence Inn. We appreciate your nice comments about the friendly and efficient service and we are pleased to hear the room was comfortable. Please come back and visit us again if your travels bring you to South San Francisco.
West Sacramento, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My partner and I stayed at this Residence Inn last night. The location is a bit out of the way, located next to a Courtyard Marriott and behind a business building, through which you have to drive through the parking lot of in order to get to the Residence Inn. Also, Caltrain runs right in-front of the hotel, which can be a bit noisy if you're planning on sleeping before it shuts down. The hotel staff itself was friendly given that we were checking in at about 9 p.m. We stayed in a studio room with a queen-sized bed.

The rooms are pretty up to date with the renovated Residence Inn line, although a bit noticeably older--the desks, kitchen countertops, and refrigerator were on the older-side and likely leftover from before the most recent renovation. The sofa and bathroom seemed to be newer, however. The room itself was fairly spacious, even for a studio room. It also featured a gas-burning fireplace with a timer--a nice touch given that most Residence Inn properties I've stayed in feature wood-burning fireplaces.

Our main issue came with the heating/AC system. Our thermostat appeared to have been malfunctioning as the temperature read at 80-degrees even though it was clearly in the low 70's inside the room. Furthermore, because our thermostat was malfunctioning, we weren't able to get the heater to turn on. Luckily, we were able to use the fireplace to warm up the room. However, when the room became uncomfortably warm, we decided to turn on the air conditioning, which was also not functioning properly. We set the system to 78-degrees and stepped out to get a bite to eat. When we returned, we realized that the system had not shut itself off and our room was freezing cold. We notified the staff upon checkout, and they were very polite about it. However, I'd warn anyone staying here to make sure everything's functioning as it should before settling in.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to share your experience with us. I am very delighted to hear that our staff made such a wonderful and positive impression. Our suites are scheduled to be renovated in late 2013. We are very excited about the upcoming renovation, as it will feature the newest and most modern Residence Inn room design/décor. I apologize about the thermostat not functioning properly in your suite and appreciate your reporting it to our staff. Thank you for your patronage and continued support. We look forward to having you as our guest in the near future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

If you are considersing staying here think again. We booked a room here and had air con vents running even when air con was switched off as well as kitchen vents just outside window. Asked to move and the agressive front desk manager said they had limited availability - gave me keys to two rooms which were even more noisy due to traffic and when I went back to the desk I was met with " what do you expect me to do - we are fully booked "? this from the duty front desk manager. I would not stay here again if you gave me the room for free.

Room Tip: hotel to avoid
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mark J, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your concerns during your recent stay with us at Oyster Point Residence Inn. I sincerely apologize about the treatment you received from the agressive manager about moving you to a different room. This is not our normal level of service. I will address your comments with my team about the importance of customer service in all interactions. I do hope that you continue to use Marriott in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

If we were able to stay at hotel longer than 3 1/2 hours I think I would enjoyed the stay. Since we had an early flight and checked in late it was just somewhere to sleep for couple of hours. I got the room free from my points but checked my statement and was charged $20 and some different amounts of change. The beds were very comfortable and room was clean.

• Stayed April 2013
Mark J, General Manager at Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Oyster Point Residence Inn by Marriott. I am pleased to hear that the beds were comfortable and the room was clean, we pride ourselves on our high cleanliness standards. I understand you had a free night stay and were charged $20 as well. I apologize if this was an error, please contact me directly and I will be happy to investigate this further and resolve any billing issues. Thank you again for choosing us. We hope you are able to stay longer with us in the future.

Been to Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront? Share your experiences!