“Family with two teens” 5 of 5 stars

Book now and save 15%
Minnesota City, Minnesota
“Family with two teens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Overall quite pleased with this stay. Linens and bed were very comfortable. Bathroom was small and did not have a fan but shower was fine. There was a bottle cap and some crumbs on the floor by the heating/AC unit when I moved a chair slightly but otherwise the room was clean. Some airport noise but nothing problematic. Airport shuttle and downtown SF shuttle (Fri/Sat only) were very convenient. Great breakfasts, pleasant staff. Easy access to highway.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

413 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Tried to find a place to stay for a convention at the Moscone center and all the hotels anywhere near there were jacked up about 5X with plenty of gouge fees. Heck the best western wanted 500 bucks a night!? so I put some distance between me and insanity and found this place. I can more than pay for a cab with the savings!! The positive things- it has all the reasons I want to stay at hampton inn. I get points, no gouge rip off fees - free parking, wifi, breakfast and clean, comfortable and safe. As one other reviewer said parts of the parking lot are dark which could use some work by the hotel. The noise which they cannot help due to the location is - well loud. I suppose you can request facing away from the airport but its not going to do much. The corporate rate I got was $199 which for a hampton inn is about 1.5 to 2x typical so we are in the bay area and by an airport so you come to expect inflated fees I guess. The hotel could spend some of that $ and put in additional parking lot lights and replace the windows with sound resistant double pane windows. This would help - I have stayed at hotels which do this. The parking lot was very full and I am not sure the parking lot can fully accommodate the number of guests at peak capacity. If you have an airport incident and need a place to stay this is a good choice -bring earplugs its going to be 24 x7 loud. Just for reference here is my all time pet peeves of hotel nonsense fees - fortunately this hotel has none of them - I am amazed they dont charge for parking and use the fact that they are near the airport as an excuse for doing so. I am told the other hotels around here do so. If they feel this would help the parking problem - make parking free to guests and others pay - dont penalize the guests for what non-guests do. Having said all this we will see if the hotel responds with a robot reply " we are so pleased we met your requirements and hope you stay in the future" or if a sentient being reads and responds in english language how people actually talk :-)

so now for your reading pleasure amusement and education here is the all time rip offs that I measure hotels against - this one gets a perfect score of having none of them - if they had soundproof windows and more light in the parking lot that would have gotten all excellent points.

Here is my list of hotel fees that I hate -

Before there were airline fees the hotel industry wrote the book the airlines now use on extra fees they could charge their customers for no good reason. Spirit Airlines was perhaps their best student. So on top of the room rate that is advertised, fees are added to get free money for nothing. Here is my list of hotel fees that many hotels will add to your bill. These fees are getting so out of hand that I would not be surprised if new consumer protection laws might be passed to protect unsuspecting customers This would be a good thing actually.

#1 Resort fees -
These fees used to be associated with large resorts with large golf courses, super fancy spas and actual resorts – these fees have become very popular in Vegas, but now many regular hotels in other locations with no good reason to do so now charge a resort fee. All it takes is one place getting away with it and the word spreads like the plague. Resort fees can range from $15 to $75 a day. What is so irritating is that most of these crazy fees should be included into the price of the room so you know up front what the total nightly rate is. This is a simple way for many hotels to lower their regular rate to attract customers and they got you when you check-in. Usually you wont go through the hassle of moving at that point – plus there might be a fee for doing so… The Spirit Airlines school of rip off techniques applied to hotels or maybe Spirit learned it from them?

#2 Early check-in fee -

Let's say you take the early flight to Las Vegas and want to check into your room before 10am so you can head to your convention. Even if your room is empty from the night before some hotels will now charge you an extra $20 to check into your room before the standard 3pm check-in time. This fee appears to me as total greed and a huge rip-off. I was standing in line in Vegas once and at 2:50PM the lady at the desk was going to charge me an early check in fee – “the computer won’t let me” which the standard travel - speak to try to shut you up so you just pay it so they can get on to the next victim and my boss wont yell at me move. so I said lets just talk here for 10 min – she quickly waved it and found a way– I was serious. How stupid is that.

#3 Wi-Fi fee -

It amazes me that hotels still charge extra for Wi-Fi service in your room. Ironically these $15 to $25 a day fees are charged by the more expensive 4 and 5 star “full service” (whatever that means) hotels while the lower priced hotels provide this service for free. I find it really strange that a hotel who charges $250 a night room rate charges their customers for Wi-Fi while a hotel who charges only $89 a night will give it away for free. How does that make any sense? Oh and McDonalds and Starbucks give it away for free and your buying 5 bucks of product not 250 dollars! Get a clue hotel guys! Typically the more they charge for it too the slower and more jacked up it is. Free wifi hotels usually have wifi that just works and is fast without roadblocks and speed bumps - complex passwords and the like.

#4 Housekeeping fee -

How crazy can it get? Hotels are now charging you a 10% service fee to clean your room daily. Give me a break. This one does not pass the smell test of reasonableness. How can a hotel look their customers in the eye and charge this fee? Part of renting a room is the expectation that it is cleaned every day.

#5 Fitness fees -

Most hotels have workout centers and swimming pools for their guests. Many hotels also charge an arm and a leg to use them. I guess I don't mind this fee as long as it is optional to pay and use.

#6 Room service fees -

When you order room service today that $30 hamburger and $7 soda will also come with a nice 20% gratuity. Many travelers without looking at their bill to see that a service fee is already added to the bill will automatically add an additional tip on top of the total bill. You are in essence giving a tip on top of a tip. Maybe they are banking you won’t notice.

#7 Mandatory Valet parking -

Many hotels now assess mandatory valet parking if you arrive in your own car. This can range from $18 to $75 a day. I understand charging for valet parking if you choose to use Valet parking but to require it does not seem reasonable at all. This is a typical hotel technique of creating a problem (ie shortage of parking caused by them blocking off spaces with cones or parking systems or the like) then charging you a fee to circumvent the parking problem that they created in the first place.

#8 Additional person in the room fee -

Some hotels will charge you if you have more than two people in a room. I understand that a hotel would charge extra to add a roll-away in a room, but if four teenagers can sleep on two double beds I don't think the hotel should charge extra for that.

I am sure they will be coming up with more fees as time goes on – they may not be talented or service oriented but they are creative!

Room Tip: face away from the airport
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We spent two nights here in South San Francisco coming from Yosemite Park ,and we were amazed by helpful staff in guiding us to our San Francisco tours of the city.The complimentary breakfast was very good,lots of selections and kitchen staff were all courteous and proud of what they do.Definitely we will recommend Hampton to our friends.

Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had 2 children of 11 yrs. and 13 yrs. with us. The cost was affordable. The rooms were clean. Beds were very comfortable.
The only downfalls were: (1) the limited parking spots in the hotel parking lot. The ration of guests in the hotel outnumbered the available parking spots in the parking lot, so we had to park on the street. (2) there was no pool or jacuzzi.

Overall, we had a very pleasant stay at the Hampton - South San Francisco.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hartsville, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

The hotel room and beds were very comfortable and clean. The standard Hampton Inn fare for breakfast.
Parking was limited and agreed to let me park in the "Elite" spaces because nothing else was available. Most of the parking was unlighted and didn't make us feel very safe.
The sound insulation is so poor that we thought the window was open, allowing us to hear traffic clearly. And the footsteps from the floor above woke us up early.
The maids did an excellent job of cleaning the room.
Get a room on the top floor at the front of the hotel for a quieter stay.
Much more reasonable cost than hotels closer to the city. Close to US 101 and 280 giving you fast access to the city and sites.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor at the front of the hotel for a quieter stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

One advantage for a tourist to not stay in the city is that there is no charge for parking and transportation is very convenient. We took a tour of the city and the bus driver came and got us and then brought us home.

new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

When we drive to Fla. once a year, we always stay at Hampton Inns. They have the typical excellent breakfast that a lot of chains have now a days. The rooms are always clean and they change the bed duvet with every new customer. So this time we were returning home from San Francisco and needed a hotel right at the airport. We had just come off a long drive from Yosemite and had booked it in advance. As we checked in, they told us their Happy Hour was going on (it was about 3 hours). They served different wines and 3 types of beer with a selection of snacks to go with it - ALL FREE! I couldn't believe it. The next morning we went down to breakfast for our usual waffle, they always have fresh fruit, juice, buns, cold cereal, hot cereal, bagels, etc. BUT in addition they had bacon, sausage, and a round scrambled egg folded with cheese. The staff was sociable and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airport? Share your experiences!