“Outdated but excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Philadelphia
“Outdated but excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This Hampton Inn is definitely one of the older ones, but it has quite a few updated features.

The receptionist was extremely friendly and, in addition to accommodating an early check-in, offered a king room instead of a queen room. King room had a sofa bed, big desk, mini fridge and microwave, and a small bathroom. The sink is separate from the bathroom, which makes the room seem older and outdated, but it really doesn't matter. The TV, however, is huge - flatscreen HD! Nicer than the TV's at newer Hampton Inns.

My only complaint is that both treadmills in the workout room were unusable - while they both turned on, the connected TVs rattled and shook. Both were really loud and felt unstable, which was disappointing, particularly when you're traveling.

Great for one night before a flight, but I wouldn't choose to stay here for more than a night on either end of a trip. The location is great for the airport, but is otherwise inconvenient, but it's fabulous for an airport hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for 5 nights in October 2012. We took an evening flight so it was very nice to be able to reach the hotel within a 3 minute drive from the airport. The location itself is great if you have a car, but if you don't, I wouldn't recommend staying here. The hotel is situated in a very quiet, industrial looking neighbourhood. There are a few other hotels in the area, as well as one gas station with a Wendy's.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were checked-in promptly and dropped off our bags in our suite before heading out to grab some food. Before leaving, we asked the concierge if there are any nearby restaurants we could check out. She said most places in the area close early and recommended the Wendy's we passed on the way from the airport. Since we were looking for something more adequate, we decided to drive around, and we came across a Denny's, within about a 3 minute drive. I was surprised that the lady at the concierge didn't recommend Denny's.

The hotel itself was clean but could require some maintenance. The elevator was quite slow and loud. The decor was a bit dated in the hallways, but the breakfast area looked decent. My room was decent: clean, with adequate spacing, and a decent sized washroom. The bed was pretty comfortable. For a Hampton, I would say the room itself was above par.

The breakfast buffet was nice in the mornings. The selection of food was very good, and each day had a different main course (either scrambled eggs, omelette, etc.) with a self-serve waffle maker which was great. The quality of the food was decent though I wouldn't expect it to be better. The selection of beverages was really good too with a few types of coffees, many different teas, some juices and milk. They had to-go cups which was a nice touch though I'm pretty sure all Hampton's have beverage stations where you can make drinks at any time of the day. These amenities add great value to the stay.

The location of the hotel (South SF) was only about a 15 minute drive to SF, which I thought was great. We saved a lot of money by staying there, instead of in downtown SF where the hotels will run you about $200/nt (not including parking, breakfast, wifi). Since we planned on visiting many other areas outside of SF, we didn't feel it was necessary to stay downtown, and not to mention, the traffic in SF was quite heavy so getting in/out of the area was sometimes tedious. It would have been hectic to deal with the traffic getting out of the city everyday.

Overall I would rate this hotel 4/5. Great location (proximity wise to both airport and SF), great rooms, good overall breakfast. They lost 1 star since they could use some updating though that wouldn't discourage me from returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Fillmore, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

All staff and all members are friendly & kind. Great positive attitude and helpful. Love the cleaness in the hotel stay and very great breakfast in the morning. Cant wait to come again!! 5 STAR PLUS!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

our family stayed here while visiting San Fran. and after driving from LA where we did all the the theme parks this was the perfect hotel to take a much needed break!!! very clean and quiet hotel....breakfast was awesome. ..definitely need transport as there is not much to do within walking distance...about 10 to 15 minute drive to central San Fran.
staff very freindly....had no issues with our stay here....

• Stayed September 2013
Salinas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The boyfriend and I had attended the Giants last game for the season and had a little too much fun to drive home, we stopped at the Hampton right by SF airport and glad we did. The beds were amazing and bfast in the am was great!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Lancaster, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband and I are from Pennsylvania and recently got married so we were traveling through Californian for our honeymoon. We stayed at the Hampton in San Jose CA the night before checking in to the San Francisco Airport (SFO) location. The San Jose location was clean, updated, everything was functioning and they had a great breakfast. That is what we were expecting when we checked in to the SFO Airport location but it is not what we got. The lobby was updated but it seemed to be a bait and switch because as soon as you left the lobby the rest of the hotel was retro 1980s decor. The elevators were not working properly our entire stay and at one point both were non-operational and we had to haul our luggage up the steps to the 3rd floor. The breakfast was so bad that even though it was complimentary we left the hotel the second and third days and went to a nearby diner. The room itself was dingy and worn. The AC unit in our room was so loud it woke me up every time it kicked on throughout the night. When I called down to the desk soon after we checked in to inquire about cancelling the 2nd and 3rd nights of our stay (so we could go to another hotel) I was told that there was a 24 hour cancellation policy and that we would be charged for the remaining nights. Based on that info and not knowing about the 100% Hampton Guarantee, we decided to stay and tough it out for 2 more nights. I travel for work as well as pleasure and have often stayed in Hamptons, but based on this experience I’m not sure that I will choose to stay with you again. My husband wanted to stay in the Embassy Suites next door to this location but I talked him in to the Hampton based on my previous experiences. The entire stay we made a joke of how I should have taken his advice and stayed at the Embassy and we even went over there to have drinks at their bar and wallow in our poor decision. These were the last 3 nights of our honeymoon and it really put a damper on the last part of our trip. I’m not sure either of us will soon forget this stay. Thank you for your time – Julie not Gillian(they also got my name wrong on the reservation)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

An excellent choice in South San Francisco. Five minutes to the airport and to multiple restaurants. I stay here at least once or twice a month and always find it restful and the staff helpful. The rooms are quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Been to Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airport? Share your experiences!