“This was the perfect Anniversary Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

335 Monterey Road, South Pasadena, CA 91030   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
mmiddleman
“This was the perfect Anniversary Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

Since we couldn't make it back to the Banff Springs Hotel in Canada, where we were married, we decided to enjoy the best Inn in the U.S.A--The Arroyo Vista Inn, right in our home town of South Pasadena. We were delighted with the charm and architecture of the Inn, and our Anniversary Suite was superb. The service at the Arroyo Vista Inn was incomparable to anywhere else. It was absolutely first rate--from anticipating every need or desire we might have, including champagne celebration and special treats at night to gourmet made-to-order breakfast, to accomodate a special diet. The Innkeeper made us feel welcome, relaxed and happy. We highly recommend the Arroyo Vista Inn any time and for every occasion

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

Arroyo Vista Inn is an unexpected gem among the bed and breakfasts I've stayed at. More five star than loving-hands-at-home decor, pristine bedrooms and bathroom (complete with robes), sitting high on a hillside in Pasadena. We stayed here for the weekend and felt welcome as well as very pampered and comfortable. Breakfast one day was (mild) cheddar cheese souffle (the owner shared the easy recipe) fresh fruit, La Brea bakery breads, and for me, a latte (made with freshly ground beans). Absolutely no complaints about this place. Would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Scranton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

I stayed at the Inn for 4 days during a recent trip to Pasadena to watch the Rose Bowl game. As a Penn State fan, I did not enjoy the game but the rest of the trip was fantastic. My room was great, views included,as was the food. Pat and her staff were wonderful. I will be a returning guest.

• Stayed December 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

Early October I stayed at Arroyo Vista Inn with two friends. When we went to check in, we were greeted by the very helpful and kind (not creepy or intrusive at all) owner, Pat. We walked in and had complimentary cheese and cookies and wine. There is also a mini fridge before you walk upstairs, it has soda, perrier, and juice. Our room was clean and nice looking. Tans and whites were the color of our room and it had antique-ish furniture. Fun sample soaps and lotions were provided. Breakfast was delicious. Pat even made us Lattes. Overall very clean and fun. There were spiders outside out balcony but the Inn is located on a hill like surrounded by nature. The Inn was quiet and beautifully decorated. Not creepy and flowery like some B&Bs can be. I was so pleased that I am buying my parents a 2 night stay for christmas. *one bummer for me was that there was no tv in our rooms.

• Liked — The delicious food and presentation of the inn
  • Disliked — there was no tv
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Costa Mesa, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

I stayed at the inn with a couple of friends last two weeks ago and had a nice stay. The inn was even more charming than I expected. It sits on the side of a hill above a busy street, but the noise is not noticeable, with the exception of a slight hum from the metrolink train. Our room had two balconies, but only 1 was really useable. There was seating outside to enjoy the view under the trees. There were a few very large spiders outside (in the trees near the balcony) but I think that is just a seasonal thing. There was a nice view from our window of the mountains and our room was comfortable and cute.There was homemade fresh candy for us in our room, which was a nice touch and very delicious (as were the cookies downstairs in the living room).

I liked the traditional/antiquey feel of our room. It was quaint but didn't feel old. The bed linens were beautiful and the bed was soft. Pat, the owner, provided us with a rollaway bed for us for extra sleeping space and it was firm, but we appreciated how accommodating she was. As an innkeeper, she was not intrusive at all, but was there for help and advice if needed. We regretted not remembering to ask about the wine cellar, which we read about and would have enjoyed, but we were too busy relaxing in the rest of the inn. We had a nice time enjoying our wine and cheese and crackers on the porch. The seating out front was comfortable and the old trees were beautiful.

The driveway up the hill to the inn is narrow, but there are plenty of spots to park once up the hill. There's no TV in the rooms, but free Internet access, which we used to find some things to do in downtown Pasadena, until I noticed a book in the room that was filled with information and pictures about EVERYTHING you would want to see, do, eat there. I learned that the Mission District was in walking distance, and would have gone there but already had plans for Old Towne. Pat also had some information posted on key places nearby to visit, which was helpful. The bathroom was nice. Breakfast was ready for us when we came downstairs and we enjoyed a very filling breakfast in a beautiful dining room. We had a fresh fruit plate of mangoes, blueberries, strawberries, bananas and then the choice of raisin bread or zucchini muffins, coffee or tea, and fresh orange juice, and then a vegetable frittata/quiche that was very good. From other reviews I have read, I guess the menu changes. You have the option of requesting a special meal if you have diet restrictions.

Overall, this inn is what I want my dream house to be like. It really was restored beautifully and the setting is peaceful even though it's in a busy part of Pasadena. We had a great time and I plan to come back for my anniversary next month.

Stayed October 2008
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

We enjoyed a lovely stay at the Inn. We went for a "girls weekend" and booked two rooms. We arranged to drop off our luggage early in the day and found our keys waiting for us. We also were able to arrange for a slightly earlier breakfast time to accomodate our plans for the following day. The living room was a very comfortable spot for enjoying the wine and cheese and there's also a roomy porch with plenty of seating at the entrance. Pat was a gracious hostess and breakfasts were very good. She isn't there all the time but we pretty much made ourselves at home and enjoyed the living room (and more wine) after dinner one night. Monterey Road isn't an attractive street but once you drive up the narrow driveway, the oak trees around the house give the inn a nice feeling. I'd definitely recommend the inn. It's convenient not only for the greater Pasadena area but also a short freeway drive to downtown.

• Liked — Rooms, breakfast, afternoon wine & cheese
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Burbank, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

Clearly, according to the reviews received here, ours is not the majority...

My husband and I live in Burbank, basically a 15-minute drive from the Inn. He booked a night to celebrate our wedding anniversary last Saturday night, in which we would go to nearby Bistro de la Mere for dinner and the Huntington Library yesterday (which we still did). Check-in time is between 3 and 6, we arrived at 3:25. Lights were on, nobody was home.

We entered and looked around and NOBODY was there. It was EXTREMELY ackward, to say the least. No note, no number to call, nothing. Looked up the Inn's number, called it and heard it ringing in the office. Got voicemail with Pat's voice and instructions to call her cell if needed immediately. We left a message AND called her cell and she didn't answer. I left a message that we were here, this is odd, can you please call back on my cell. No return call...

Husband noticed an envelope with our name and a key to the Veranda room, which was what we reserved. No note "Be right back, please call my cell when you arrive," nothing. We figured, whatever and went upstairs to the Veranda room. Ouch...

It couldn't have been noisier. It was perched above a VERY busy and noisy street, the view was terrible - it overlooked a tacky, mid-century apartment building and a dead plant in a pot greeted us on the balcony. This is not what we had planned on paying nearly $300 a night for.

Called her again, cell, still NO answer. Left another message, NO call back. This is around 4:15. We both could not believe an innkeeper could be so flippant and NOT available to her guests. Had she been there, we would most probably just switched to another room, but we didn't get that chance because we never got to meet her!

We decided to leave and left her yet another voicemail telling her we were doing so. Thanks Pat for the wonderful evening we had planned at your Inn.

Ended up having a lovely dinner at our favorite bistro, the California Canteen and date night at home. She did call my husband's cell at 4:45, after we had arrived home and left a voicemail that she was coming up from the small house now, completely oblivious to the fact that we had already left and had she been checking her messages would have known that. After she received our last message telling her we were leaving and why, she didn't even have the decency to call and apologize. Strange woman.

What's wonderful about the internet is we rely on many of the comments and recommendations on sites such as these. As the Inn has received many good reviews, we felt completely confident we had made the right choice. The Inn itself is gorgeous, very much to my taste. We were expecting something a bit more secluded as the description leads and were expecting to meet this innkeeper everyone here raves about and we were left completely in the dark.

When you go to the "Arroyo Vista" (I cough as there was no bella arroyo vista for us) Inn, do give Pat regards from the "D" family. Just don't plan on doing it on your wedding anniversary...

Stayed October 2008
Arroyo_Vista_Inn, Owner/manager at Arroyo Vista Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2008
The Inn’s standard confirmation of each reservation explains the “self-check-in” process, where that occurs and what it consists of, so that each guest may go to his/her room unassisted and without delay. Had these guests read their confirmation, they would have understood the process.

Despite the “self-check-in” policy, I or someone else is usually here to greet guests as they arrive. We do the “self-check-in” explanation for the rare occasions when no one is in the big house at the moment a guest arrives. I regret that at the time of their arrival I was in the next building and did not hear my cell phone ring. I called them back within about 60 minutes of their initial call to say I was sorry I missed the call. They did not answer.

As luck would have it, the weather the day these guests arrived was one of the rare rainy days in Southern California. The low hanging clouds blocked the view. The mountains could not be seen from the rooms or the balcony as they normally are.

We hope and strive to give our guests an excellent experience every time they visit the Arroyo Vista Inn. Even this “strange woman” puts her best efforts into extending welcoming hospitality and nothing else!

Been to Arroyo Vista Inn? Share your experiences!