“Gracious living, comfort, historic charm, caring host, splendid views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arroyo Vista Inn

Save Saved
You added Arroyo Vista Inn to your Saves list
Arroyo Vista Inn
335 Monterey Road, South Pasadena, CA 91030   |
GreenLeadersGold level
jcbexleyoh
“Gracious living, comfort, historic charm, caring host, splendid views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I spent a week here. The steep, driveway approach announces you are somewhere secret, special. We loved being removed from the bustle of the world below. And once you open that big old front door and enter the house, you feel like you have somehow acquired your own magnificent, historic Pasadena home.

Guests have free reign to paddle about the place, sustained by coffee, tea, water and soft drinks, homemade cookies and muffins at any hour. There is wine and cheese each evening. Not formal but gracious living at its best. Breakfast is at your convenience and to your own taste. One might prefer yogurt and granola to go with the fresh fruit and fresh squeezed orange juice, or have the excellent chili and egg pie with salsa and guacamole, or french toast, sausages - everything is housemade by the owner, Pat, a fine cook and considerate host. For our 5 am departure there was a breakfast to go secreted in the fridge.

There are a number of spots to sit outside to enjoy the view of the San Gabriel Mountains amid the sound of rushing water and the scent of eucalyptus. Some rooms have porches - we would ask for No. 2 next time. Some have showers or baths or both. This is a magnificent property perfectly located to enjoy the riches of Pasadena and it's proximity to Los Angeles, by car or on LA's growing metro. The nearby Gold Line will take you into the heart of LA in 30 minutes. There are excellent walks and hikes nearby, good restaurants, important architecture, museums and lots of history. We had a splendid time here. Thanks, Pat.

Room Tip: Some rooms have the mountain views and have access to porches. Check the website.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
pasadena, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have stayed in a lot of B&B's over the years and the AV Inn sits near the top. The owner, Pat, has restored this property beautifully. So many B&B are a hodgepodge of poorly executed "remodels" and piecemeal interior/exterior "improvements", leaving the guests wondering why they left their decent homes only to pay money to stay in a place that doesn't hit the mark. The AV Inn hits the mark-it looks great and is run well. If you want to avoid the big LA/Pasadena hotels, then the AV inn is the perfect choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We arrived at 5 pm after a stressful trip in rush hour freeway traffic and were greeted in the living room of this beautiful, quintisential California craftsman home with wine and cheese. A lovely welcome! Our room was spacious and nicely furnished, with beautiful views of the grounds and nearby mountains. Breakfast with fresh fruit and yummies like huevos ranchero was delicious. The Inn is located off a main street and the noise does travel to the outdoor spaces, but central air conditioning and heavy draperies on the windows made for restful sleeping. The location allows for easy access to LA proper and the downtown area of both South Pasadena and Pasadena are close by.

Room Tip: second floor rooms open to balcony with lovely views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

During a family crisis, I stayed there pretty frequently--had a number of rooms, etc. Not is the architecture beautiful, a nice combination craftsmen an modern, with lovely colors, furnishings, but the key point: the rooms are extremely comfortable, many with a view of the mountains and valleys, the hospitality superb, it is also peaceful and QUIET. Not once did I hear a TV! Silence! a rare treat. Could go on: endlessly thoughtful small touches, incredibly comfortable beds, etc. Owner takes great pride in making sure things are right.

Room Tip: Get higher floor view of valley, although for single person there is a VERY cozy if small room with...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Glendale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I found myself without a place to stay for several nights while the management company was doing work on my tiny Glendale apartment. After imposing on good friends in Pasadena and a terrible night in a large chain hotel in Monrovia which turned out to be right off the freeway, my nerves were pulled as tight as Joan River’s cheekbones. Following a few phone messages to potential places to stay that Saturday night, I hit the streets, driving up and down the nearby neighborhood roads desperate to find a decent place to stay. I was never fond of hotels and motels even less. Bed and breakfasts were always at the top of my list but how to find something that would be affordable, close enough to my home neighborhood of Glendale and that felt like home. I desperately needed a good night’s rest, wondering as I was, where I was going to stay for the night with hotel prices looming at the $200.00 mark offering thin walls, veneer furnishings and sad views of the backs of buildings and parking lots. I was prepared for another expensive night of sleeplessness. My cell phone rang and Pat, the owner of the Arroyo Vista Inn called to say she had a room at her inn in South Pasadena. She asked if I was near a computer and I told her I was right around the corner from my destination at the Flintridge Bookstore. Look up rooms 5, 7 and 9, she said and tell me which one you’d like. I arrived and quickly plugged in my netbook. Let this be a restful, clean place, I thought. As I opened the website to browse the rooms, tears stung my eyes. Being sleep deprived and having to prepare for a major interview made me more than grateful to see the images of softly lit rooms and tasteful antique furniture, gorgeous turn of the century architecture sitting quietly on a tree-lined knoll far from the madness. Yes, I felt like a kid in a candy store – did I want the room with the 180 degree view of the Arroyo? A poet has to have her view! Or did I want the Tree House. A second floor room surrounded by scrub oaks allowing for complete privacy. There was a soaking tub lit by the deep jewel tones of a stained glass window above. The room led to a small balcony facing the green. That was my room. I needed a place where I could disappear quietly, peacefully. Come by and you can check in right away. The room is ready. Pat said. As I drove up the secluded driveway off Monterey I let out a huge sigh. I entered the doorway to a sprawling living room with comfortable, tasteful furnishings, homemade cookies sitting under a glass serving dish, a grand piano and a corner view of windows facing the terrace and San Gabriels beyond. I was greeted with a warm smile by Blanca who gave me the key to The Tree House. Had I chosen well? I opened the dark wooden door to a world of privacy and comfort. A four-poster bed with plush linens surrounded by British colonial furnishings. The walls, a soft sage complemented the armoire and wooden desk ready for free wi-fi. There was a corner chaise with ottoman situated to catch the view of the oaks and two thick cotton robes hanging just inside the gorgeous bathroom, now filled with light streaming through the 1910 stained glass window. At the casement’s center the image of a woman rising nude from a river was a window into a time of artisans and elegance where structures were created not only for comfort but to appeal to the aesthetic senses of its owner. Estates rose from the dirt and the mindful ideas of the architect making an imprint in a neighborhood much admired for its tasteful residences and understated grace.

After settling into my room I met with Pat and her husband who explained the specific features of the inn and recommended a place to dine locally. Both were gracious and accommodating and happy to make sure I had all I needed. I didn’t even go out for dinner as it turned out, preferring to relish every minute on the property. Taking my wine and cheese outside I sat on the cozy wrought iron table for two and watched the sun sink over the San Gabriel mountains. It was easy to imagine living this kind of luxury – a luxury of privacy and peace. After a bit of time on my own private balcony and a long soak in the tub, I caught an old classic Jimmy Stewart film and faded off to unbroken sleep. Leaving the curtains open I wanted to awaken to a golden view, light filtering through the oak branches into my tree house. I had set 9:15 as my breakfast time on the board downstairs allowing plenty of time to sleep in and enjoy the scenery.
In the morning I walked down the sunlit staircase toward the smell of fresh coffee and breakfast delights. The breakfast room was cozy and laid out beautifully facing an entire wall of windows. I chose to sit outside at the large table facing the hillside. The hostess prepared the table and brought out a breakfast that can only be described as five star. I won’t spoil the fun. You should experience it for yourself -- every white porcelain cupful. Even as I wanted to linger after the meal I retreated to my room for the last hour before I knew I would have to depart. Relaxing into the chaise I picked up an issue of Pasadena. There, an article invited me to read about creature comforts. Loosely paraphrased it held, tranquility is a luxury. How true that is, I thought. The indulgence of living in a calm, harmonious environment – something every person should be entitled to by nature is indeed a luxury I could never afford a multimillion dollar home in the Arroyo Hills but I can experience a slice of paradise at the Arroyo Vista Inn. And the taste of tranquility…oh how sweet.

Room Tip: Room 5 - The Tree House was wonderful. Very quiet and private with a balcony and soaking tub. All...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Bloomfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Arroyo Vista Inn is a lovely B & B. If you are goingto the Pasadena area I highly recommend you stay here. It is so nice I would go to Pasadena just to stay there. It is beautiful, comfortable and relaxing. Vicki in Bloomfield, CT

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

This is a charming yet elegant bed and breakfast with beautiful views of the San Gabriel Valley. This place is quiet, serene and peaceful and feels like a wonderful escape and yet you feel catered to as well. From the wonderful oatmeal chocokate chip cookies with cheese and crackers and drinks in the early evening when we arrived to the delicious blueberry crumble and eggs florentine served for breakfast, the food is really good. The owner has made sure that you feel well cared for. And this place, a beautiful old craftsman house that is updated, welcoming and eco-friendly. Just perfect. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Arroyo Vista Inn? Share your experiences!