“Good, but just not the same...” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Gus's Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mission Street
Transit: Gus's is located only a couple of blocks from the South Pasadena gold line station.
South Pasadena, California
“Good, but just not the same...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Call me crazy, but while I think the food and ambiance at Gus's is good, I still prefer the menu and decor that dates back to its inception in the early days. There are just times when all you want is somethng comforting that reminds you of your childhood. The old Gus's had that; the new Gus's...not so much. More trendy than nostalgic.

Visited September 2011

Miami, Florida
“Best BBQ East of the 405”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Gus's BBQ doesn't disappoint. We've been "regulars" at Gus's since the Bicos brothers bought it in 2007 and turned it into the oasis for barbecue lovers it is today. Gus's is a true family-oriented spot with a lively bar scene as well. The Baby-back ribs are my favorite, usually paired with some sweet potato fries and a double order of cole slaw. My husband and son are totally "addicted" to the nachos. Made with delectable mounds of pulled-pork, fresh guacamole and their homemade BBQ sauce, they are a complete a meal in themselves. The burgers are also "to die for" delicious, especially the American burger. Everything is fresh. Service is great. Their fairly new smoker out back adds a wonderful smokey aroma to the food and the whole restaurant. If you like trying new drinks, definitely have a Kentucky Lemonade.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good Ribs Far Away from Ribs Country”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I come from a part of the US where great ribs are to be found, and was very pleased to find that Gus's ribs are among the best that I've tasted. They have a good selection of draft beers and ales to complement the ribs. The service was friendly and prompt, and the surroundings were quite appropriate to a ribs place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Altadena, California
“Amazing bbq”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I made a reservation for 7pm for 3 people - it was very crowded so I glad for the reservation. We were seated within 5 minutes, and the waiter appeared immediately. Many styles of BBQ were on the menu, along with about 10 delicious sides. It was our first time there so we tried as many different things as possible. We had beer braised brisket, Memphis style ribs, and the pulled pork. We had sweet potato fries, cole slaw, and red skinned potato salad. All truly good. Although some of the meat tasted like it had sat under a heat lamp a little too long, but the flavors were amazing. I think we were done eating in about 10 minutes with no conversation between. No one wanted to talk, just eat. That's a pretty good recommendation.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Juneau, AK
“Like revisiting an old friend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I haven't been to Gus's in years but when the opportunity presented itself during a February 2012 visit to the environs, I jumped on it!

I don't really remember the particulars of the "old" Gus's and the interior looks a lot like it did when I last had dinner there, but I do remember how good it was. And I am happy to say that, in my opinion, this has not changed.

I had the half-order of baby back ribs with a double order of collard greens. And a Craftsman 1903 lager. It was wonderful. The ribs were just right. The sauce was very tasty with just a hint of spice to it. The collard greens were great, not bitter at all nor were they overcooked.

The people of greater Pasadena seem to share my sentiments as those who had not made a reservation waited up to 90 minutes while those of us who did enjoyed their meals. Please call ahead to get your place set!

If you are not a vegetarian and are visiting South Pasadena - put Gus's on your list. You'll be glad you did!

Visited February 2012