“Always a great choice” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Santa Cruz
“Always a great choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

First off, you have a choice of thai or sushi, or you can combine them. Then, the food is always really good, and the people working there are always wonderful. What more can you ask for. A very good value, too.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Tampa Bay, Florida
“Tom Kha soup is out of this world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I don't know why I waited so long to try Star of Siam. I guess I thought it would be just like every other Thai Restaurant with all the "staple" offerings...Pad Thai, etc. I noticed another table eating some soup so I thought I'd try it. My son wanted soup too so we ordered one large Tom Kha soup with vegetables. It arrived in a large metal bowl with a flame coming out of the middle "tube". It was delicious and filled with tons of mushrooms (two different kinds), broccoli, beans, carrots and onions. We each were able to fill our small bowls four times and the flame kept the soup hot. It was enough to feed us entirely (for less than $10) but we didn't know beforehand, but once they brought out the spring rolls and curried potato turnovers, we gorged! Service was outstanding....our water glasses were never empty! Whenever I'm anywhere near Soquel, I'm going to dine here! Heck, I might even make the 40 minute drive up there for the best Thai food I've ever eaten!

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santa Cruz, CA
“Best Thai in Santa Cruz County!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We moved from Chicago to Santa Cruz six years ago, and it took us a long time to find Thai food worth eating. A year or so ago, a mutual friend had me meet him at Star of Siam prior to a club meeting nearby, and I knew I'd found a winner.

This family run restaurant offers friendly service, a very interesting menu, well prepared, and well spiced to whatever degree of heat your palate desires. I like my food spicy, but I learned nearly 40 years ago to never ask for maximum heat in a Thai restaurant. At Star of Siam, I ask for 5 on a scale of 10.

The menu includes broad selections of soups, salads, curries, dishes centered around rice or noodles, as well as a lot of specialty dishes. You could eat here once a week and not be bored.

Star of Siam is only a few blocks off Rte 1, with adequate free parking. They're also quite happy to have customers who arrive a bit early or late for lunch or dinner.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Take a friend and just go.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

This place is off the hook. Start with the fresh spring rolls, share the egg plant salad that is served warm with whole basil leaves and a dressing that dares you to lift the plate to get every drop. Finish with green vegetable curry, or my favorite a red duck curry and don’t forget the rice, and ask for brown.OMG.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Huntington Beach, California
“SO 'LICIOUS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

My fiance and I had been on the road for nearly 9 hours before stopping into Star of Siam. We were staying at a friend's house but wanted to stop off for food in her area - which was a bit of a hassle because her town is super small and our choice of restaurant was scarce. I remember the Star of Siam sign not being very big and I almost missed the place entirely. We got a table right away at 8pm. My fiance ordered the Green Curry and I ordered the Panang Curry. Both dishes were out of this world and bursting with spice and flavor! Their menu is very well priced. I loved the decor! Elephants are my favorite animal and the restaurant was full of them. We enjoyed each and every bite of our meal. My fiance even made a comment about how if we lived in the town we would be regulars at Star of Siam. Great food. Great environment. Great price. Will be dining here the next time I am visiting my friend.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Star of Siam? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Star of Siam, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.