“Best Western Standards” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Sacramento, CA
“Best Western Standards”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

After a long day working out in the heat about 20 miles away I decided to stay at the closest Best Western rather than drive 3+ hours home. I had stayed here before and knew the location and service is always good. A couple of problems this time. Within half an hour of moving into my room a family of stomping kids moved into the room above me. The staff were very helpful in moving me to another room and gave me a breakfast voucher for my troubles. The other problem was something they had no control of. There were only a couple of TV channels working. They tried everything they could to get it up and working. No TV for the night. Also, while I could connect to their wi-fi, I could not get on line. I did see a Comcast Cable truck near the office the next morning as I was leaving. I mentioned my disappointment as I was checking out and they apologized. After returning home I filled out a survey about my stay, mentioning that it wasn't my best stay at a Best Western. The Manager contacted me the next day, apologized, and has sent me a 25% off coupon for my next stay. I feel that they stepped up to the plate and handled this very well. I will stay there again next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms near the front are closer to the local restaurant. Vouchers for either dinner or breakfast com...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Christopher L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
You are correct about the temporary interruption in TV and Internet on that day. It was also mention in another TA review. ComCast, our internet vender, supplier both the TV and the conduit for Internet has cable problems. Normally the TV and Internet works very well, but on that day they did not provide excellent service. They fixed it quickly, but it did effect some of our our guests.
I am pleased that you contacted the team and you could be moved away from your noisy neighbors. Kids love to have fun in hotels rooms, and sometimes they do go a little overboard.

We are pleased that we could give you the best service we could, and that you will be using your discount certificate to return. Thank you for your feedback!

Christopher Link

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
San Carlos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is the best place we've found in the Sonora/Columbia area. It's quiet and clean. Air conditioning is left on in the rooms, so that they are cool when we arrive, even on the hottest days. The breakfast is very good, in a restaurant that is clean and that has good service. We stay here as a jumping-off place for adventures to Yosemite, the Sierra and the desert.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Christopher L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
We appreciate that you noticed that we pre-chill or heat the rooms depending on weather conditions. We are located in a mountain seasonal area that adjusting to the changing conditions seems to help our guests. We are pleased that you enjoyed your full, hot, served breakfast in our onsite restaurant. We have been voted the best hotel in the region for six years, so I am glad that you agree with the vote. It is discerning guest like yourself that keep us to a high service level.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Clean, affordable, very friendly staff! Great free breakfast! Restaurant staff were awesome! Can see way it is rated number 1 hotel in Señora. I would recommend this if you are on your way to or from Yosemite! Nice pool and hot tub. Grounds well kept.

Stayed July 2013
Our restaurant team will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary full, hot, served breakfast and the “awesome staff”. The hotel team will be pleased to here that you enjoyed the clean hotel and the affordable rates. We hope to see you next time!

Melbourne, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

After a couple days of hiking we left Yosemite and stayed at Best Western Sonora. We enjoyed the pool, diner, and it was a great stay for our family. I would recommend this hotel if you are leaving the north way out of Yosemite, very good!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
As you correctly noted, our Northern (or Western Route) to/from Yosemite is the best route for the San Francisco Bay Area and points north, and it is beautiful! I am glad you have fun in the pool and enjoyed the on-site restaurant and lounge. Thank you for the fine recommendation.

Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Very clean room (typical size and style) with a beautiful pool and made to order, large delicious breakfast! We enjoyed swimming in the pool as we had it all to ourselves. The soda and ice machine along with our room were just a short walk away. I would probably ask for a pool side room next time just to be right there and have the pretty view. The breakfast is not a buffet or continental style, it is a regular large breakfast that is made to order just for you. Also if you don't have time for a large sit down breakfast you can call ahead and they will make breakfast sandwiches, fruit, coffee and juice to go for you. Breakfast was a $30.00 value for us had we gone out and bought it for our family of four. This place is excellent for the price and it is a very pretty part of California with very friendly people that have been so helpful! It is only a mile or two away from restaurants and shopping. I would recommend staying here to anyone I know.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 114. If it's not much more I would try to get a pool side room next time just...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Christopher L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
This is such a nice review that we were speechless while reading it. After reading your comments, we wanted to stop working for the day, and stay here ourselves!! You noticed the excellent choices in served breakfast, the lovely optional poolside homes, and the clean rooms. Thank you..

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I hate to be the proverbial rotten apple in the bucket of shining apples but our stay here was soured - literally by sewer gas. We had a wonderful room. Staff helped us with our bags to the second floor which was really appreciated. Food at the restaurant was superb. I’ve stayed at this hotel before. It was absolutely perfect then and I was looking forward to staying again.

Why did our stay have to be spoiled by smell? I advised the hotel about the smell but they didn't seem to believe me. The comment was that our room wasn't around a sewer which I found strange. Did she not understand that sewer gas comes into the room from the plumbing? I do hope they have looked into it or all the other "terrific and greats" reported here will start to change. I would recommend before taking a room - ask to smell it.

Room Tip: There is no elevator. If you have trouble with stairs, ask for a ground level.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Christopher L, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
We appreciate all feedback, even those comments that are not the usual compliments. As we indicated at the front desk, the smell was not a sewerage problem. To be certain, we removed the room from service and perform a full inspection and deep cleaning. Feel free to contact me directly at the hotel, if we can be of further assistance. Maybe we can entice you to return and try out this room or one of our other great lodging choices.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Nice clean tidy hotel to spend a couple of nights had a microwave and fridge which was a nice touch. Room had two double beds , tea and coffee facilities. Staff very friendly, happy hour in bar great atmosphere. The breakfast was fantastic cooked to order, evening meals also fantastic and good value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!