“Great Place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gunn House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sonora
Gunn House Hotel
You added Gunn House Hotel to your Saves list
286 So Washington St., Sonora, CA 95370   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
“Great Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed on a trip with my brother. It's great they had a room with two beds. The room was spacious with quality linens, towels etc. We noted it was much nicer than a Hotel we recently stayed in at Fisherman's Wharf - for half the price. We spent the day at Yosemite and the drive wasn't bad at all. Breakfast was fabulous! Will definitely be back!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Santa Cruz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have been to the Gunn house 3 times and always have enjoyed something special about each room and it's theme. The owner, manager and staff, all make you feel welcome and comfortable at every turn.The rooms are clean and have everything you need. Wifi & T.V. are included, which I personally like. They have a nice and clean pool, surrounded by an incredible stone wall. There are places to sit and enjoy the day, surrounded by flowers and fragrant herbs . In my opinion they have the best breakfast around. You are offered lots of choices of freshly made baked goods, egg dishes and waffles. Early start at 7am, gets you on to your adventure early.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Riberac, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

A quirky, characterful hotel. Excellent staff, immaculate room and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.The rooms at the back surround a very agreeable, semi-outdoor plush carpeted patio, overlooking the pool. The bathroom is small but perfectly serviceable and has more towels than you will ever need. I believe there is intention to refresh the bathrooms; they aren't bad at all, just a little dated. Parking is plentiful, easy and away from the road. Breakfast is served in a delightful Victorian 'tea-room' and is very good indeed. The only negative is the street noise but the owners are addressing this with plans to replace the windows and doors. This is a very comfortable and interesting hotel and frankly, for the price, I would stay here again rather than the chains in Sonora. Of the 30 or so hotels we stayed in on our road trip this ranked in the top three for comfort and interest.

Room Tip: Pick a double queen at the back for less street noise. The patio is such a lovely place to sit with...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Montana/Idaho divide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Spent a week at the Gunn House Hotel, and it was hard to get me to move out. I took advantage of the off season, non-weekend rate, and I appreciate the reasonable rate. You definitely should take time to discuss your room selection. There's a balance of locations considering if you want quiet, windows, Internet or a porch view. I was I. 16, decent wireless, side facing the Main Street. It's definitely loud at night, lots of street noise until 10. Room was comfy, pillows, a teddy bear to cuddle, a well appointed bathroom. Eclectic mix of decorating with a Victorian twist. Lots of outside patio seating, so room size was immaterial to me. Nice breakfast. I'd sneak in for coffee at 7, breakfast was laid out by 7:30. Egg casserole, waffle, OJ, lots of coffee cake/muffin choices. It's nice being downtown, great selection of restaurants and shops. Lots of character, nice hotel staff, good breakfast, a nice historical feel, comfy bed, definitely a recommendation. Again, just be sure you are selective about room location.

Room Tip: Back side rooms are quiet, south side rooms are street noisy but have better wireless, front side ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife Cindy and I love taking weekend trips to quaint Sonora California. We now have found a hotel as quaint as the town. The Gunn House was absolutely phenomenal! The staff was very pleasant, the rooms are spectacular, and their morning breakfast make you feel like you're sitting with family. It is very obvious that the owners and the staff take great pride in the service they provide. So far, we have only gotten the privilege of 1 room, so that means we have 21 more rooms to stay in! Thank you to the Gunn House staff, and we will see you next month!
Jason and Cindy
Turlock, Ca.

• Stayed March 2013
Campbell, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I began staying at Gunn House 2 years ago when I started monthly visits to my mom at a local assisted living facility. What started out as a place to stay overnight to break up a long drive turned into my monthly two-night "getaway". I have stayed at other nice local hotels, but Gunn House beats them all in price, ambiance, and a welcoming spirit. The rooms are beautifully furnished, the breakfast is wonderful and homemade, and the staff greets me by name each time I return. They have always been extremely accommodating whenever I've had a special need or change of plans. The location can't be beat--historic downtown Sonora is just steps away, with a wonderful variety of shops and eateries. I recommend the Gunn House to everyone I know!

Room Tip: Rooms in front have wonderful verandas with comfortable rockers and the morning sun (welcome in wint...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have stayed here for a number of years now anytime I go up to the area. The ambiance is nothing short of stunning with the charm of the old days nestled in the hillside. The breakfast....well, there truly is nothing better than fresh, homemade and scrumptious! Whether it was a romantic getaway or a group of friends, we have always been treated with the utmost respect and kindness. I have stayed in a couple of other nearby places and nothing comes close. Best deal in town if you want true quality!

Room Tip: Depending on the time of year, the rooms along the street may have some street noise, but being able...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Gunn House Hotel? Share your experiences!