“Great value for our overnight in Sonora” 3 of 5 stars

INNS of California-Sonora
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   350 South Washington Street, Sonora, CA 95370   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Sonora
Oakland, CA
“Great value for our overnight in Sonora”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

A buddy and I needed to overnight in Sonora before the Ward's Ferry bike race. I found a great deal for the Inns of California-Sonora ($67/night) on some web site and so wasn't expecting much. We were pleasantly surprised by the room and very happy that it had a microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker. They also have a free breakfast but we did not have time to check that out, nor did we try pool/jacuzzi though it looked OK.

The only negative was that we had some noisy neighbors and the walls were not sufficient to dampen the sound of their partying. If noise is an issue you might want to make a specific request for a room likely to be quieter (we had requested ground floor since it's easier to bring the bikes in).

Room Tip: Ask them for a quiet one
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Oakley, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The picture looked a lot better than the room. The coffee tasted like it was watered down. The swimming pool and spa wasn't in use (repairs being done on it). Didn't know that when I booked. Didn't get a discount because of this but got the AARP one. Room was still $91 and not very cozy. Walls looked dirty. Got rates for the Historic Nat'l Hotel &Restaurant in James town and will try that one next or Royal Carriage Inn in Jamestown cottages during the week are only $69, roomy, and full kitchen.

Room Tip: I'd rather spend a little more and get a room that has character. We'll try the Historic Nat...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Jose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Always stay at this hotel when taking my kids to the snow and have never had a problem. My nephew left his leapster toy in the drawer of the nightstand and when we realized it we immediately called to ask about it and was told Sorry! We didn't find anything when the room was checked and cleaned....My nephew was very specific about where he left it when asked and he is only 5 years old. Some employee went home with that $200+ toy and probably has done it before and will do it again!.when I asked what the next step was.....I was told they aren't responsible for list or stolen items and I could call the police. WHAT KIND OF CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THAT?? I don't think we will be staying there again. It sucks because my kids really liked staying at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
INNSofCalifornia, General Manager at INNS of California-Sonora, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
I truly understand your frustration over the loss of valued toy, however I can assure you that our housekeeping staff did not steal it. We did our best to try and locate the toy the night you called. Our lost and found book did not show any items left in your rooms so my assistant manager went up and personally searched all four rooms you stated it could have been left in. The next morning we again searched all four rooms and questioned the staff who had cleaned each of the rooms. We even went and searched two more times with each suggestion you gave us. The final location you gave us for the toy was in a room that was cleaned by two housekeepers as it was the last room of the day. Neither housekeeper saw the toy. Our suggestion to get the police involved was simply to show you that we have nothing to hide. I would welcome a full investigation as I do not tolerate theft at our hotel. If there was even a hint of that one of our staff members could be stealing, they would no longer be employed by this company. We have many expensive items left at our hotel daily which are turned in and logged.
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

It's in the middle of the town. You can easily walk to every place. The service was great, got good tips where to go and have dinner. Rooms are smallish, bit aged. Ice and vending are there but could be better. Breakfast was available, but wasn't that great and there is no room to eat it other than your own room.

And the price was high for the quality. You can see the location in the price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
North West
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The room was compact but the main issue was the gaps around the edge of the door, window and air conditioning unit. This was our least favourite hotel on a tour of Western USA, it just felt a bit low quality and rickety.

There was free internet on 1 PC in the reception building but the receptionist was stressing out as the laundry room had flooded so we didn't get long. The free breakfast was based on gathering all you could carry and taking back to the room.

I suppose the main thing was that the beds were comfortable and as I wear earplugs any external noise doesn't affect me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Attended a conference in Columbia, CA and stayed at this inn. The room was in much need of a remodel. Those very old classic bedspreads that are thin and probably never washed, there was dirt in the toilet, stains on the sink, carpet and chairs dirty. I always carry Lysol Spray so I sprayed the entire place. When I wipped the head boards a red color can off and lots of dark dust. We had no chance to move to another hotel as we were very busy with the conference. When I left and signed out I reported the condition of the hotel - and I got just "oh I'm sorry."

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are less nosey!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

we stopped here on an overnight it was clean and tidy but was in need of updating as things were getting tired.
beds were comfortable and slept well
was a short walk to the town were we had a lovely meal and not over priced
good location complimentary breakfast aswell

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to INNS of California-Sonora? Share your experiences!