“Picture isn't worth a thousand words.” 3 of 5 stars

INNS of California-Sonora
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   350 South Washington Street, Sonora, CA 95370   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Oakley, California, United States
“Picture isn't worth a thousand words.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The picture looked a lot better than the room. The coffee tasted like it was watered down. The swimming pool and spa wasn't in use (repairs being done on it). Didn't know that when I booked. Didn't get a discount because of this but got the AARP one. Room was still $91 and not very cozy. Walls looked dirty. Got rates for the Historic Nat'l Hotel &Restaurant in James town and will try that one next or Royal Carriage Inn in Jamestown cottages during the week are only $69, roomy, and full kitchen.

Room Tip: I'd rather spend a little more and get a room that has character. We'll try the Historic Nat...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Jose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Always stay at this hotel when taking my kids to the snow and have never had a problem. My nephew left his leapster toy in the drawer of the nightstand and when we realized it we immediately called to ask about it and was told Sorry! We didn't find anything when the room was checked and cleaned....My nephew was very specific about where he left it when asked and he is only 5 years old. Some employee went home with that $200+ toy and probably has done it before and will do it again!.when I asked what the next step was.....I was told they aren't responsible for list or stolen items and I could call the police. WHAT KIND OF CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THAT?? I don't think we will be staying there again. It sucks because my kids really liked staying at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
INNSofCalifornia, General Manager at INNS of California-Sonora, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
I truly understand your frustration over the loss of valued toy, however I can assure you that our housekeeping staff did not steal it. We did our best to try and locate the toy the night you called. Our lost and found book did not show any items left in your rooms so my assistant manager went up and personally searched all four rooms you stated it could have been left in. The next morning we again searched all four rooms and questioned the staff who had cleaned each of the rooms. We even went and searched two more times with each suggestion you gave us. The final location you gave us for the toy was in a room that was cleaned by two housekeepers as it was the last room of the day. Neither housekeeper saw the toy. Our suggestion to get the police involved was simply to show you that we have nothing to hide. I would welcome a full investigation as I do not tolerate theft at our hotel. If there was even a hint of that one of our staff members could be stealing, they would no longer be employed by this company. We have many expensive items left at our hotel daily which are turned in and logged.
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

It's in the middle of the town. You can easily walk to every place. The service was great, got good tips where to go and have dinner. Rooms are smallish, bit aged. Ice and vending are there but could be better. Breakfast was available, but wasn't that great and there is no room to eat it other than your own room.

And the price was high for the quality. You can see the location in the price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
North West
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The room was compact but the main issue was the gaps around the edge of the door, window and air conditioning unit. This was our least favourite hotel on a tour of Western USA, it just felt a bit low quality and rickety.

There was free internet on 1 PC in the reception building but the receptionist was stressing out as the laundry room had flooded so we didn't get long. The free breakfast was based on gathering all you could carry and taking back to the room.

I suppose the main thing was that the beds were comfortable and as I wear earplugs any external noise doesn't affect me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Attended a conference in Columbia, CA and stayed at this inn. The room was in much need of a remodel. Those very old classic bedspreads that are thin and probably never washed, there was dirt in the toilet, stains on the sink, carpet and chairs dirty. I always carry Lysol Spray so I sprayed the entire place. When I wipped the head boards a red color can off and lots of dark dust. We had no chance to move to another hotel as we were very busy with the conference. When I left and signed out I reported the condition of the hotel - and I got just "oh I'm sorry."

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are less nosey!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

we stopped here on an overnight it was clean and tidy but was in need of updating as things were getting tired.
beds were comfortable and slept well
was a short walk to the town were we had a lovely meal and not over priced
good location complimentary breakfast aswell

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottish Borders.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I arrived at The Inns of California after a visit to Yosemite National Park.It is a three storey hotel in two buildings situated just off the main street in Sonora.I was allocated a room on the ground floor.The room was a good size with a very large bed,T.V,Coffee-Maker,Fridge,Microwave and an Iron/Board.The En-Suite was adequate.There is free internet access in the lobby.Complimentary Continental Breakfast is also provided in the lobby although you have to take it back to your room to eat.There are a number of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.
Complaints:- The noise from the traffic on the road outside and also when the people in the room above flushed their toilet there was a terrible smell.A couple of minutes later I noticed about an inch of dirty water sitting in the base of the shower.There was obviously a serious plumbing issue.
I contacted the front desk straight away and was eventually offered another room,which I gladly accepted.Hopefully,this was a one off but to me The Inns of California-Sonora is a very basic hotel and I didn't particularly like it,and would not recommend to friends or family.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor if you can.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
INNSofCalifornia, Manager at INNS of California-Sonora, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Unfortunately we can not predict when a plumbing problem may arise, but we did our best to resolve the problem as quickly and courteously. Sometimes events beyond our control can delay the resolution of a problem. I am glad that we were able to get you into another room and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

I am glad to hear that you found the room size good and the amenities to your liking.

Been to INNS of California-Sonora? Share your experiences!