“Warm and Welcoming” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bradford Place Inn and Gardens

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sonora
Bradford Place Inn and Gardens
You added Bradford Place Inn and Gardens to your Saves list
56 West Bradford Street, Sonora, CA 95370   |
Ranked #3 of 11 Sonora B&B and Inns
Benicia, California
“Warm and Welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We have stayed at the Bradford many times when Dottie was the proprietor and this was our first stay with Eli. Eli is warm and welcoming as well as very accommodating. The atmosphere has changed but this is still a wonderful place to stay. We were in the Yosemite room this time which has a spacious bedroom and whirlpool tub in the bathroom. It also has it's own outside entrance and a very nice private little garden area.

We loved that Eli delivered breakfast to our room each morning. There were homemade Christmas cookies in the parlor and Eli even made a special bread for breakfast on Christmas morning. What a treat.

Eli has two well mannered Irish Setters. If you are a dog lover you will surely be charmed by the charismatic Marilou and the somewhat shy Billy Ray. They only came when invited so if you would prefer that they kept their distance it doesn't seem like that would be a problem. We thoroughly enjoyed them.

The Bradford is just a block off the main street so is the perfect place for a visit to Sonora. You will feel right at home in this charming Victorian.

Room Tip: We love both the Bradford Suite and the Yosemite room. Both are quite comfortable and you will have...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dottie, Owner at Bradford Place Inn and Gardens, responded to this review, January 7, 2012
Well, thank you very much for your kind posting.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit in the Yosemite room. This is our downstairs suite and is especially suited for breakfast in the room.

I especially enjoyed meeting your family and the chance to celebrate the holidays with you.

Of course the christmas cookies are seasonal, but I always try to have some kind of home-made pastry for guests to enjoy--just a way to add a home-atmosphere to the place. In addition to the cookies, you can always get hot cocoa, tea or coffee to enjoy with them.

Hope to see you again soon!

eli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
NORTHRIDGE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

This place is a real "gem" - I was expecting a wonderful stay, and was surprised just how wonderful, wonderful could be.

The decor is comfortable, stylish and very much like home. The Inn Keeper, Eli, was charming and inviting and made us feel welcome at the first instant [he also has two very cute and affectionate dogs that add to the warmth of this Inn, but don't worry, they don't approach unless they are invited!].

The rooms are beautiful, immaculate and fresh, with all of the conveniences one could expect.

The food is prepared by Eli himself, whom we discovered is a trained chef who specializes in fine pastries - be prepared for a mouth-watering breakfast here at the Bradford.

The Bradford Inn is receiving my highest rating possible - I am definitely making this a regular stop on my future visits.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dottie, Owner at Bradford Place Inn and Gardens, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Hello and thank you for your lovely comments!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at the inn, I believe that you were staying in the Bradford Suite, our most luxurious rooms. And thank you also for your compliments about our cuisine. I take great pride in preparing gourmet breakfasts catered to your requests.

I always try to make my guests feel at home and I'm so glad that your party enjoyed their stay. Hope to see you again very soon.

Eli
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

We wrote a review one year ago for Bradford Place, and now we review again after returning one year later! Lots has changed in a year. All the reviews you read about Dottie the innkeeper were spot on, but now she has retired. The new Innkeeper is Eli. He's a nice guy, but the atmosphere at the B&B is pretty different now.

He has 2 Irish Setter dogs which are beautiful, but not everyone loves dogs. My husband is not fond of large dogs, and was never asked if he was allergic or happened to not prefer animals. In the morning, Eli brought breakfast into our room, and the dogs both came bounding in along with him taking us by surprise. In the evenings, the dogs are meandering around the parlor and barking at times (which is what dogs do, but not what I expected when relaxing in our room at night). Breakfasts with Dottie were much more robust and there was the best bacon we've ever tasted. That is no more. Also, breakfast is only served til 10am and not 11am; not a big deal, but on vacation it's nice to not have to set an alarm.

Seasons change, and I'm sure it was good for Dottie to move on, but we will miss her and the peace and quiet of the Bradford Place of old.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dottie, Owner at Bradford Place Inn and Gardens, responded to this review, September 25, 2011
Hi and thank you for your comments and concerns.

There are a couple of items mentioned here that I would like to address. I'm sorry that your experience here wasn't exactly the way it was with the previous innkeeper. The previous innkeeper (Dottie) had her style and her menu and her pets (2 cats). The website and email confirmation both alert guests to the fact that there are now two dogs on site. No one can be perfect for everyone, but I do try to address my guests requests and desires.

The menu change--Yes--Dottie made bacon which is no longer on the menu. In its stead however are home-made pastries, (which change frequently, but are always home-made and most guests are thrilled by them). You also enjoyed home-made sour-dough bread served with butter. Many guests have also commented on their pleasure with the new menu item--the Eggs Benedict, Norwegian style--home-made hollandaise sauce topping poached eggs with wild smoked salmon on an english muffin.

As for the dogs--it is true--not everyone likes dogs, and my dogs love to say hello to greet the guests. If someone however tells me that they either don't like dogs are afraid of them--I do my best to keep the dogs away from that guest. In this case, you called the dogs over to you and petted them, and said nothing about your concerns. I would have never allowed the dogs to come in had you only mentioned this concern once to me. By calling them over and petting them, you sent the exact opposite message.

I strive to make my guests happy and delighted in their experience here and hope your future experiences will be positive.
Catheys Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Bradford Place has beautiful charm and inviting hospitality. It is in a perfect location for walking the main street of Sonora and some delicious restaurants. My husband and I stayed for 2 nights The bed was very comfortable (and my husband has a bad back that did not bother him here.) The room was cozy and had all the amenities you will need. The host and innkeeper, Eli, is an ideal host. A wonderful chef and attentive to your comfort and needs. His homemade breakfasts, from scratch, are the best of any B&B I have been to. And sets out homemade cookies that will have you coming back for more. He and his two Irish Setter greeters are a delight.
We will definitely be back the next time we have a chance to get-a-way.

Room Tip: There are only 4 rooms. We stayed in the Tioga room. No complaints about this room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dottie, Owner at Bradford Place Inn and Gardens, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Hi, this is Eli the new owner.

Thank you for your visit and review.

Tioga is our smallest room, but is very popular with many guests--I think perhaps because of the charming bathroom, but it's also got everything you want in a small room--personal split-mini air-conditioning, tub/shower, bathroom and a queen size bed.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon!
Eli
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

This is a lovely Victorian house with delightful touches and an even more delightful innkeeper. Eli was welcoming, friendly, and more than willing to help enhance our stay in the Gold Country. Breakfasts were so fresh and delicious, and the bed was so comfortable! The location is perfect as a "home base" for exploring the surrounding area. We will certainly visit again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dottie, Owner at Bradford Place Inn and Gardens, responded to this review, August 28, 2011
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review and your visit.

It was a true delight to host you in your stay in the Tioga room. I was glad to get to know you and welcome you--one of my first guests and the start of a delightful season so far.

I've now been here 2 months and have been fortunate to enjoy so many wonderful guests that each one feels almost like a guest in my home rather than a guest in my inn...
Colfax, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

We have traveled to several Inns & B&B s and My hubby & I felt that we enjoyed our stay here immensely. First the gardens and front porch are lovely and welcoming. Later in spring and summer it will be blooming with color.
At the entrance Dottie made us immediately feel comfortable. Our rm the Yosemite was so comfortable. Loved the lrg bathroom and little attention to detail like a simple ribbon tied around the toiletries. It had the cutest private garden. I wish the weather was warmer but we were so toasty and warm in our rm. The location is great to walk down town and shop or dine. Unfortunately some places are closed on Sunday evenings.
We had a relaxing morning. Breakfast is flexible offered between 8:00 and 11:00am with coffee at 7:00. That's very rare. Usually it's only at a certain time and you must be up and ready early or miss it. The food was attractive and good. Also drinks were available as was hot water in the dinning area at all times as well as a little dessert. snack.
I enjoy Sonora and surrounding towns a lot. We were there researching real estate.
This Inn is for sale Dottie wants to retire. I'm not sure if it would be the same without her and her laughing personality so go see her soon and have a relaxing time too.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dottie, Owner at Bradford Place Inn and Gardens, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Wow!

What a complete surprise to see that you folks posted several images of your stay at Bradford Place along with a very long and newsy review! Great photography, by the way! Your post and the images were totally unexpected! I hope you had fun checking out the local real estate market! Again, thanks so much - and we'll see you sometime soon!

P.S. Oh -- about the desserts you mentioned? WHAT desserts!!! Little nibblins' -- yes!

Dottie Musser, Resident Owner
BRADFORD PLACE - SONORA, CALIFORNIA
Where Guest Satisfaction Is Our Success -- Just Starting Our 12th Year (time flies when it's fun)
Sonora, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

Greeted by innkeeper and owner Dottie when we arrived and seeing where we would be staying for 2 nights was beyond our expectations. We relaxed in the Tioga room which is the smallest of the 4 rooms here but exactly what we needed in price and coziness. The bed was so comfy and everything was dreamy and quaint. PERFECT for a time away as a couple. We LOVED it and will back!

Jack & Sharolyn Coldren

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dottie, Owner at Bradford Place Inn and Gardens, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Thank you for your unsolicited review!

Guess what, the Tioga room -- the room you chose -- has always been my favorite room here, and I am the owner! Your comment about "beyond expecations" made me smile! How can a small room be beyond expectations!!! To all you folks reading this who have never stayed here, we are talking small, as in -- you can sit in the pretty upholstered matching channel back chairs and use the bed as a footstool as you watch your flat panel TV -- you know, the real skinny kind of TV! I suppose the 9 foot ceiling throughout the room does give a sense of spaciousness. And the bathroom is right there -- NO hall bathrooms here!

I am soooo glad you enjoyed the Tioga room and your time at Bradford Place! Hope you can return soon!

Thanks again!

Dottie Musser, Resident Owner
Bradford Place - Sonora, California
Where Guest Satisfaction Is Our Success - Now in Our 12th Year Innkeeping

Been to Bradford Place Inn and Gardens? Share your experiences!