“WOW! This Was Fun” 5 of 5 stars

Fresno, California
3 attraction reviews
“WOW! This Was Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have been to a number of Indian Gaming Casinos in California and they all seem very similar. However, I was impressed with Black Oak. It was very homey and I felt very comfortable there, almost like family. I did pay my dues, if you know what I mean, but the experience was very enjoyable, and it was my own fault that I made the deposit. The property is sort of out of the way but well worth the journey to find it. They are also building a hotel, and I look forward to staying on property.

Visited January 2013

Los
11 attraction reviews
“A casino with all the fixin's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We read about this casino when we planned our trip to Gold Country. We had children in our group, and so the fact that it had an arcade and bowling was the main reason for visiting; if it was an adult-oriented gambling place (i.e. nothing for the kids to do), we would not have gone.

If you plan to browse the quaint shops in Sonora, be sure to do so before evening. It seems, during winter at least, that downtown Sonora becomes very quiet after dusk, except for a few restaurants. So it was a perfect time to head for Black Oak Casino during the first evening of our visit to the area.

While trying to get there, be careful to watch for the road signs and directions and not rely entirely on gps. Our gps directed us into Tuolumne city in front of some church. We later learned we had missed a left turn as we got closer to Tuolumne, but the gps directions didn't warn us. We were about to return to the hotel when the other van in our party had gps that showed the way; and it did... until we were about a half mile from the casino and in the middle of a dark country road. Luckily we could see bright lights between the trees in the distance and figured that must be the casino. Driving further, we reached the casino.

There is not much activity outside the casino; it is not the hustle and bustle of Las Vegas Blvd. It's very quiet outside. Directions led us to the parking garage; that's when we knew we were at a casino. There were security personnel directing traffic, and the garage was near full, just like Vegas. We parked and hopped onto the elevator to the casino floor, got out, and stepped in. The inside was exactly as one would expect of a casino. Bright lights, lots of noise. Slot machines, tables. Well decorated and maintained. We could have been in Vegas.

We headed downstairs where the family-oriented activities were located. We put our name on the waiting for bowling; it was a 2 hour wait (this was about 9pm). The alley looked nice; there was neon and glowing lighting in the lanes. We got food at Kingpins, a fast-service place for burgers, etc. They bring the food to you; the service was patchy. Some in our group got their orders pretty fast; we did not and had to go to the counter and ask. The teens in our group enjoyed the wings. Apparently it was good enough to order a second serving. Some of our group then went upstairs to the tables; the rest of us went to the arcade. It was a nice sized room with enough variety. The kids enjoyed those games that yielded tickets for prize redemption.

As it was getting late, we skipped the bowling that night and headed back to the hotel to prepare for the next day's activities.

Overall, it was a nice experience for both adults and kids. The casino was smart to incorporate kid-friendly activities. I'm guessing there are other families traveling to this region of CA to learn about history, the Gold Rush, and caverns. This casino is a welcome break from all the nature and history.

Visited December 2012
Turlock, ca
52 attraction reviews
“Wednesday night international night buffet, very good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been to Black Oak Casino coffee shop before but always ordered off the menu. We stopped in Wed 12/26/12, after fixing my snow blower. I am not a buffet person generally, especially with an international theme. The very friendly waitress told us to take a look before we ordered off the menu, so we did. The food looked good, displayed nicely too. We has a choice of Chinese/ Japenese, Italian, Mexican, a nice salad bar AND a really nice dessert selection. All the food was very good, the desserts above good and the service excellent. Our glasses were always full and plates promptly removed. Everything was great and the total price including drinks, only $9.95 per person. Now that's pretty hard to beat. Served from 4-9pm and I suggest if possible to get there early. Really looking forward to trying their Friday seafood buffet, I've heard good things. If you are in the area, I highly recommend. Happy travels trip advisor friends...

Visited December 2012
Santa Rosa
7 attraction reviews
“Great place to play”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Great games for a few hours of play; fine food available at the several restaurants inside. Love coming to this place!!

Visited November 2012
Sacramento, California
5 attraction reviews
“Fun and Low Key”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Enjoyable spot, nice drive getting there, get a package with a local hotel and a card, worth a trip out!

Visited November 2012